What Is The Most Popular Colour In Your Breed?

Esky the husky

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With border collies the traditional black and white is probably the most popular.

but the blue merles are the most beautiful, of course ;)

with pugs, fawn is still the most popular, tho I am starting to see more black pugs out and about

Absolutely can't agree with that. Black and White is by far the most beautifulthumbsup1.gifrofl1.gif

and after looking through the latest DOL Puppy Listings I'm beginning to think Black and White may just be the new rare colour!biggrin.gif

Kelpies - show ring seems to prefer chocolate although this is changing and there are dogs of most acceptable colours who have done well. Working lines it is red and tan although it annoys me when people say "red cloud" as if that colour is a different breed :p

Chocolate does seem more popular than black among the show Kelpies. Do you really think that red and tan is the most popular with Kelpies? I prefer red and tan but when we go to watch trials around New South Wales - they're almost all black and tans! Almost no red and tans! :laugh:

Dobermans are interesting, because they do come in blue but nobody likes it - I think because it just looks like a washed out black against their tan markings, and also because dilute in dobermans is heavily associated with poor coat.

Here is a link to a good page about doberman colours for anyone interested: doberman colours

Most popular would definitely be black and tan, but brown/red and tan is fairly popular these days too. The breeder of my dog never liked the red and tans, but now having seen my dog grow she thinks the next one she keeps will be a red and tan. We get a lot of compliments on his colours, so I have a feeling it's growing in popularity.

That said, if I get a second I want a black and tan to have the set lol

I think Black and Tans are the most recognisable Dobe colour, not sure about most popular. I think the b&t look better with less effort in the show ring. You really have to watch the browns don't get bleached in summer.

Most people think Sniper is a GSP or something, especially with the whippy tail.

I think the Blues and Fawn look great, just a shame about their poor health. I'm yet to see a registered breeder offer those colours, especially with all the care most take with avoiding hereditory problems.

I love my brown baby, and hopefully we will have a brown girl to add next year. I want the hair all over the house from the red/ brown animals to match :laugh:

Shell I can see why you're partial! Absolutely gorgeous :p

My fawn kelpie attracts a lot of attention while we're out and about, but I don't think a lot of people know that kelpies can come in fawn, silver or cream. So they are popular in the sense that people like them when they see them, but not in the sense that ppl go out looking for one I suspect.

My OH had a blue/grey kelpie with fawn markings and light coloured eyes, very beautiful boy

I think you're right Boxagirl that flashy red Boxers are probably the most popular, and they are my favourite too.

I do love my plain red Boxer though with his black velvet face. I also appreciate a gorgeous brindle like Clemevi's girl Charli. Mumsy has a cute white boy too.

Oh alright, I just love Boxers, all colours...

:laugh: Me too. I am partial to the reds- but I think I'd like a nice flashy dark brindle girl next.

With border collies the traditional black and white is probably the most popular.

with pugs, fawn is still the most popular, tho I am starting to see more black pugs out and about

Absolutely can't agree with that. Black and White is by far the most beautifulthumbsup1.gifrofl1.gif

and after looking through the latest DOL Puppy Listings I'm beginning to think Black and White may just be the new rare colour!biggrin.gif

Nah as I said before

IMG_3628.jpg

RED DOGS ROCK

Blues and fawns tend to be what the general public want in whippets. Yet you rarely see a solidblue in the ring and not a lot of solid fawns either. Solid black is another color that doesn't do well in the ring for some reason snd I get a lot of puppy enquiries for black too.

Personally I love the black brindle or mahogany brindle parti colours and I've always wanted a red and white parti! What colour do I always end up keeping? Solid brindles!

The more American bloodlines seem to have more white on them - quite a bright flashy white, and often with the stripe down the middle of the face .... they seem very popular at the moment in GSP's

Personally I prefer solid coloured heads and the solid browns in body (we used to be able to call them liver but now they are brown) or brown and white (with only small amounts of white)I have a solid brown boy (Archie) and a brown and white boy (Morty) .. I'd like to add a solid black or black/white to the family in the future ....

Nah as I said before

IMG_3628.jpg

RED DOGS ROCK

I see your red dogs and raise you:

Introducing the new rare black and white Border biggrin.gif

hannahbear.jpg

darcystar.jpg

angeljan2005.jpg

Nah as I said before

RED DOGS ROCK

I see your red dogs and raise you:

Introducing the new rare black and white Border biggrin.gif

hannahbear.jpg

darcystar.jpg

angeljan2005.jpg

WOW I am going to struggle to beat that top photo what a stunner... Time to bring out the big guns

ponies1.jpg

RED HORSES RULE!!!! (Cant say rock or they would be rocking horses)

Sorry OT I know

Edited by Bull Arab

In regard to the greyhound colours, I have a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that keeps suggesting that I think black was regarded as being bad luck when it comes to greyhound racing.

If this is a correct superstition, could that account for the lack of popularity in black greyhounds? Heh! Just realised that's like an oxymoron "black greyhound"! :laugh:

That's such a shame about the stigma (?) of black Greys, our friends have a rescue ex-racer and he is simply divine :heart: One day I would love to have one.

post-36665-0-57552800-1323340449_thumb.jpg

My personal opinion on black greys(and I'm more than happy for Hardy's Angel or Skyseblue to correct me)is that they grey around the muzzle at a young age.They look old before their time.There is so many beautiful colours in greyhounds but the blacks always look dowdy and boring.Not my opinion but the opinion of adopters.My two are foster failures and I never chose them on their colour.RiverStar-Aura I don't think that a black greyhound is bad luck for people just bad luck for them. :( .