Found A Dead Flea On My Dog

jacqui835

Well the other day I was giving my dog a tummy rub (and removing prickles and what not from his coat) and I found a dead flea. This is the first flea I've seen since moving to Adelaide 11 months ago - and so I have not had any flea prevention on my dog since this time last year (12 months +). I performed a very thorough search but did not find any other fleas, and he doesn't seem to be itchy or anything, but I guess I don't understand why the flea was dead. I know many people would be happy to find a dead flea on their dogs but, there's no illnesses or anything are there that could kill the flea are there?

I would just be a bit concerned if a flea bit me and then died - seems very strange.

Lol I feel like people are laughing at me and I agree on the surface it seems kind of funny but I just worried that maybe something about him killed the flea. I remember once I had a dying rat (she had respiratory problems) and all the fleas abandoned her before she died.

He gets washed once a week (because we go to the beach at least once a week and the salt water gives him dandruff if we don't wash it off) and we never see any fleas but we wash him with oatmeal and moisurising stuff so maybe the fleas like it. I don't think he has any fleas though because he often sleeps on my bed spread cover (which is white) and leaves none of the little flea specks that I've seen before from animals with fleas.

Oh well, no-one seems to think it's the sign of anything horrible, so I guess my dog found one solitary flea somewhere who unfortunately happened to be old and died before he/she could make my dog itchy. RIP little guy.

Did you look closely?

The flea may have been faking it , until you left the scene! ;)

Oh! I know!!

It was the only flea.........and died of loneliness :(

Laughing with you, not at you ;)

Lol I'm laughing too. Told my manager I had to look up a potentially serious problem for my dog and the laughing is not helping my credibility...

My favourite post so far is the autopsy one.