jacqui835

165 members have voted

1. 1. Do you let your dog/s lick you?

• Yes, everywhere including scratches, sores etc
    • Yes but not on scratches etc
    • Yes but not on my face
    • No, because I don't like the sensation
    • No, because it's unhygenic

Well I didn't want to go OT in the "cats vs dogs" thread but I am really interested to see what people think about letting their dogs lick you.

For anyone interested:

A study published recently found that active components in canine saliva were effective in treating and preventing acne. Even more surprisingly, patients treated with canine saliva solutions saw better results than control groups treated with expensive, celebrity-endorsed acne medications.

"There are a number of components of dog saliva that have been shown by scientific research to act against infection or to promote healing, but this is the first evidence that canine saliva, which helps dogs clean and disinfect wounds, can also help humans maintain clear skin."

At least one company has already attempted to capitalize on the study's findings -- last week, French skincare giant Bonpeau launched PawActiv, a line of skincare products that contain varying levels of canine saliva. Despite its cheeky title, a spokesperson for the line maintained that it is a serious product with serious results.

"Our customers are able to see beyond any stigma associated with canine saliva, and realize that as a treatment for acne it is very effective -- and reasonable."

You might want to do a bit of googling. I think this might be all bullshit. :laugh:

Did you try googling before posting? :laugh:

http://www.sodahead....estion-1636663/

You don't think it's bullshit?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

We have patients come in at work who believe that dogs saliva has healing properties and they have some of the most minging infected pus-ey wounds you've ever seen and they let the dog at it thinking its the best way to heal it :vomit:

ETA: changed the spelling of pussy to pus-ey :eek::laugh:

Edited by donatella

Guest donatella

OMG misread the word pussy there :o

*shakes head at self*

:rofl: i've actually seen that word written on a post op document and had to read it twice

Letting my dogs lick me causes an allergic reaction. Not as severe as cats cause but if it gets near my eyes (like, touching face after having hand licked) it can get really uncomfortable.

That aside, super awesome antibacterial or not.. my dog pees on his own front leg and then licks it off again. No thanks.

Well I didn't want to go OT in the "cats vs dogs" thread but I am really interested to see what people think about letting their dogs lick you.

For anyone interested:

A study published recently found that active components in canine saliva were effective in treating and preventing acne. Even more surprisingly, patients treated with canine saliva solutions saw better results than control groups treated with expensive, celebrity-endorsed acne medications.

"There are a number of components of dog saliva that have been shown by scientific research to act against infection or to promote healing, but this is the first evidence that canine saliva, which helps dogs clean and disinfect wounds, can also help humans maintain clear skin."

At least one company has already attempted to capitalize on the study's findings -- last week, French skincare giant Bonpeau launched PawActiv, a line of skincare products that contain varying levels of canine saliva. Despite its cheeky title, a spokesperson for the line maintained that it is a serious product with serious results.

"Our customers are able to see beyond any stigma associated with canine saliva, and realize that as a treatment for acne it is very effective -- and reasonable."

You might want to do a bit of googling. I think this might be all bullshit. :laugh:

The fact that they did the study? It seems as though they did do one. Or did you mean the findings? :)

Well I'm not convinced that you need to worry about catching Meningococcal or Meningitis from your pooch - I mean maybe if they have fleas and the fleas have bitten another human with it (or a pig, I think we share some viruses with them?) and then maybe you hug your dog and the flea bites you... But all in all, that particular link says if you have a compromised or deficient immune system, beware of your dog. People with compromised immune systems need to be careful of just about everything - who knows whether they got sick from their dog, or sick from something else? Supposedly most of us catch our colds from touching things touched by other sick people - like handles on the bus and lift buttons. Maybe they did that - the link just talks about how some people are sick and they also happen to have a dog...

I don't like other people's dogs licking me either - kind of like how I wouldn't want to be hugged by a complete stranger.

But my own poochy - well let's just say, if he could make me sick, I'd be sick by now.

My partner just saw this thread and told me something I would have preferred not to know lol. He gets ingrown toenails all the time and so has to cut his nails a special way etc but sometimes they get ingrown anyway. Before he lived with me and Sammy, they supposedly got infected all the time and he had to go to the doctor every time it happened. Now he reckons he lets Sammy 'clean' it for him after he removes the nail, and he hasn't needed to go to the doctor about it once in almost 2 years... But I don't know I feel about Sammy licking me when he's also treating my partner's ingrown toenails :s

I don't like my dogs licking me. It feels horrible.

Indy has no interest in licking and just doesn't do it. He does however press his nose right into your face which is kind of cute.

Kira is a compulsive licker and would lick you all day if you let her. She controls herself somewhat with us as we make her stop but she does sneak in cheeky licks here and there. We tell her to sit and wait for her dinner but if you bend to close to her face when you are putting her bowl down she has been known to get in a sneaky lick right across your face. As gross as it is, it's also kind of cute. :laugh:

For anyone interested:

The fact that they did the study? It seems as though they did do one. Or did you mean the findings? :)

What findings? Nobody did any study, there is no Bijon-Frize Care Institute or French skincare giant Bonpeau. It's all just bullshit. Copied and pasted from a weblog posted on April 1st, 2011.

:laugh:

For anyone interested:

What findings? Nobody did any study, there is no Bijon-Frize Care Institute or French skincare giant Bonpeau. It's all just bullshit. Copied and pasted from a weblog posted on April 1st, 2011.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Although, if it's not April fool's day it's the fooler who is the fool, apparently. Yes, I'll go with that. :laugh:

For anyone interested:

Lies. The links in the article direct to a Wikipedia page for the company "April fools".

Clearly Greytmate is just one of those anti-saliva people. Probably thinks homeopathy is just poo-water, too :provoke:

Edited by Hardy's Angel

One of Stellas favourite games is "kissies for daddy!" she get really excited and runs out to give the OH a huge wet kiss. LOL. We use it like a game, doesn't worry any of us.

My mums chi loves it too. But you have to be careful, as he gets his tongue right up your nose if your not careful!

My two both love to lick! Especially if I've been exercising or if I've just gotten out of the shower - they like to help dry me off. I don't encourage it though.... Not my favourite feeling.

Occassionly when I'm trying to give them a kiss on their head or something they quickly turn and I end up getting a bit of tongue in the mouth which is gross!

I don't think I would let them lick a sore or scratch....

I don't mind a few kisses, but my old broody girl seems to think bare skin of any sort needs licking.. . .like a puppy's nose and bum. She would lick for hours. Despite discouragement, she still succeeds in landing kisses from time to time. Strangely, her daughter licks bed sheets . . . she will systematically lick a spot near my pillows for 10 minutes straight.

As for the wound licking literature . . . seems to be a popular topic for science fair projects but hasn't drawn much formal science.

http://syntheticsali...searchpaper.htm

gives an excellent high school research experiment, including a bibliography (unfortunately, little peer reviewed literature). . .

the student extracted histidine, lysozyme, and amylase and lactoferrin from dog saliva and looked at its effect on bacterial growth (Strep, Staph, and E. coli) . . .

Edited by sandgrubber

Most of my dogs will lick, but I have had scratches on my legs and they keep licking them, they heal fine. Jenna comes up onto my lap and puts her paws on my shoulders

and licks my neck all over, it has always been her little quirk.

AAww Marion I love your Xmas sig. :)

Thanks stans mum,  making it was a breeze, but had many attempts to get it loaded onto here.  Not good with html etc. 

Edited by Marion 01

Abbie loves to lick! I generally try to discourage her (she'll go for toes, feet, legs, arms, and especially the face), not because i think it's dirty or unhygienic...I just don't really appreciate getting wet, especially when i'm still in bed or have just dried myself after a shower!! haha.

Cat licks i like though, their tongues are scaly and more dry so it feels nicer haha :)