• Yes but not on scratches etc
    • Yes but not on my face
    • No, because I don't like the sensation
    • No, because it's unhygenic

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruby licks me anywhere she can get her tongue, including my neck if I'm at her level. If I've just had a shower I don't let her, but if I'm due for one I don't care. The only exception is when she's just been outside to snack on fresh brown delicacies in the backyard - stay away! :vomit:

Millie isn't much of a licker, except, she has exceptionally good aim when it comes to sticking tongues in mouths, and makes it her mission to cop you when you least expect it. This I can't stand!! Blurgh!

I don't mind my dog licking me, but she's not a very big licker anyway and she only licks my face only every once in a blue moon, so it's a bit of a nice surprise when she does give me kisses.

That being said, she loves licking hands and could lick them all day long if I'd let her...

Edited by silentchild

Dory can be a Licker. Thankfully we have moderated it significantly from when we first got her. She was an Class A Nose Miner, when we first got her.

Now she uses it to toy with people...the licking...not the nose mining.

If I have 'abanadoned' her for any reason ie. left her at home with the Daughter while I did some errands, she licks like a mad thing. Or if I have gotten out of the car and then back in.

She also licks when she wants her dinner and last cuddles for the night.

I voted Yes, but not cuts and scratches. But we usually don't get a choice of where she licks us.

I don't like the kisses where they try to lick your tonsils, or licking my toes, but everywhere else is fair game in this house. If you don't like getting "kissed" by large dogs, or copious amounts of dog hair everywhere, then my house is not the place for you... *grin*

I actively encourage Zeddy, my oldest girl, to lick any wounds I get, because she makes them heal faster and they don't get infected.

T.

I don't like the kisses where they try to lick your tonsils, or licking my toes, but everywhere else is fair game in this house. If you don't like getting "kissed" by large dogs, or copious amounts of dog hair everywhere, then my house is not the place for you... *grin*

I actively encourage Zeddy, my oldest girl, to lick any wounds I get, because she makes them heal faster and they don't get infected.

T.

This pretty much. My Daisy has got a 6 foot long tongue, can get you from across the room!! Well, that's how it seems.

I voted No, don't like the sensation, which is partly true, but mine are taught from day of arrival that liking is not for humans. mainly because most visitors and general public do not appreciate a 12 inch tongue up the face or anywhere for that matter.It's almost as bad as dogs that jump up on people.

If they want to give me a kiss it is a bump with their nose usually either on my nose or chin and then a big cuddle and a scritch.

I didn't vote because you didn't have an I Don't Like it option.Nothing to do with hygene or the sensation I just don't like it.I agree with you Caesars mum it is discouraged in my house.My two are chronic lickers and know not to lick me but when visitors come around they think they are walking paddle pops.

Most of my dogs will lick, but I have had scratches on my legs and they keep licking them, they heal fine. Jenna comes up onto my lap and puts her paws on my shoulders

and licks my neck all over, it has always been her little quirk.

AAww Marion I love your Xmas sig. :)

Don't really care with mine, my dogs have small dry tongues, but not in the mouth! Trixie does the occasional toe lick too, that's a bit gross.

My brothers Kelpie X dog is the WORST licker and she always manages to get it right in your mouth when you think you are on guard, makes me want to vomit!! I regret it whenever I camp on the couch at his place and get woken up by a licking dog :vomit:

I suspect I'm a little allergic to his saliva - face licking always leaves me itchy.

I don't tend to limit his licking a great deal. Prolonged facial licking is undesirable but he rarely does it unless he's decided to pounce on you. I'm trying to teach him "give a kiss" at the moment. And foot licking is much too tickly.

Well I didn't want to go OT in the "cats vs dogs" thread but I am really interested to see what people think about letting their dogs lick you.

For anyone interested:

A study published recently found that active components in canine saliva were effective in treating and preventing acne. Even more surprisingly, patients treated with canine saliva solutions saw better results than control groups treated with expensive, celebrity-endorsed acne medications.

"There are a number of components of dog saliva that have been shown by scientific research to act against infection or to promote healing, but this is the first evidence that canine saliva, which helps dogs clean and disinfect wounds, can also help humans maintain clear skin."

At least one company has already attempted to capitalize on the study's findings -- last week, French skincare giant Bonpeau launched PawActiv, a line of skincare products that contain varying levels of canine saliva. Despite its cheeky title, a spokesperson for the line maintained that it is a serious product with serious results.

"Our customers are able to see beyond any stigma associated with canine saliva, and realize that as a treatment for acne it is very effective -- and reasonable."

You might want to do a bit of googling. I think this might be all bullshit. :laugh:

Did you try googling before posting? :laugh:

http://www.sodahead.com/fun/study-shows-dog-saliva-improves-acne-are-you-heading-to-the-pound/question-1636663/

It's not all positive though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wound_licking