jacqui835

165 members have voted

1. 1. Do you let your dog/s lick you?

• Yes, everywhere including scratches, sores etc
    • Yes but not on scratches etc
    • Yes but not on my face
    • No, because I don't like the sensation
    • No, because it's unhygenic

Well I didn't want to go OT in the "cats vs dogs" thread but I am really interested to see what people think about letting their dogs lick you.

For anyone interested:

A study published recently found that active components in canine saliva were effective in treating and preventing acne. Even more surprisingly, patients treated with canine saliva solutions saw better results than control groups treated with expensive, celebrity-endorsed acne medications.

"There are a number of components of dog saliva that have been shown by scientific research to act against infection or to promote healing, but this is the first evidence that canine saliva, which helps dogs clean and disinfect wounds, can also help humans maintain clear skin."

At least one company has already attempted to capitalize on the study's findings -- last week, French skincare giant Bonpeau launched PawActiv, a line of skincare products that contain varying levels of canine saliva. Despite its cheeky title, a spokesperson for the line maintained that it is a serious product with serious results.

"Our customers are able to see beyond any stigma associated with canine saliva, and realize that as a treatment for acne it is very effective -- and reasonable."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I didn't want to go OT in the "cats vs dogs" thread but I am really interested to see what people think about letting their dogs lick you.

it isn't a cat vs dog thread

Lol I know but you know what I mean... The, "Do you like cats and dogs" thread then.

Where's "only on my face" :laugh:

I don't like the feeling of being licked, however when Arby was a tiny pup our little thing was "kisses for mummy" when i put him to bed, he licks my chin just once. He's 4.5months now and we still do it :D

I voted the top one - yes, I let my dogs lick me, yes, occasionally they lick my face and yes I sometimes allow them to lick at a scratch. I wouldn't let them lick an open, infected wound (it would hurt and the idea of the dog licking pus or something makes me feel ill, yuck). To be honest my dogs are not really interested in licking wounds anyway, they like to have a sniff of them and then they move on.

Everyone in our house 'kisses' the dogs, as in we kiss their noses and allow them to give us a little lick. We also let them lick our dinner plates when we're done with them and have been known to share an ice cream or some other type of yummy treat occasionally :D .

So far, this has not caused any of us to get a disease or die ;)

I voted the top one - yes, I let my dogs lick me, yes, occasionally they lick my face and yes I sometimes allow them to lick at a scratch. I wouldn't let them lick an open, infected wound (it would hurt and the idea of the dog licking pus or something makes me feel ill, yuck). To be honest my dogs are not really interested in licking wounds anyway, they like to have a sniff of them and then they move on.

Everyone in our house 'kisses' the dogs, as in we kiss their noses and allow them to give us a little lick. We also let them lick our dinner plates when we're done with them and have been known to share an ice cream or some other type of yummy treat occasionally :D .

So far, this has not caused any of us to get a disease or die ;)

Sounds just like our place, we always give them kisses :)

I agree, I wouldn't freak if my dog licked a scracth but would draw the line at something bigger just cause it would hurt mainly!

For anyone interested:

A study published recently found that active components in canine saliva were effective in treating and preventing acne. Even more surprisingly, patients treated with canine saliva solutions saw better results than control groups treated with expensive, celebrity-endorsed acne medications.

"There are a number of components of dog saliva that have been shown by scientific research to act against infection or to promote healing, but this is the first evidence that canine saliva, which helps dogs clean and disinfect wounds, can also help humans maintain clear skin."

At least one company has already attempted to capitalize on the study's findings -- last week, French skincare giant Bonpeau launched PawActiv, a line of skincare products that contain varying levels of canine saliva. Despite its cheeky title, a spokesperson for the line maintained that it is a serious product with serious results.

"Our customers are able to see beyond any stigma associated with canine saliva, and realize that as a treatment for acne it is very effective -- and reasonable."

You might want to do a bit of googling. I think this might be all bullshit. :laugh:

I generally discourage it, and only one of them is a really bad licker, but I don't tell them off and I don't really care if they lick me, as long as it's not my face or hands. Arms and legs are fine, but because it's been discouraged it's not really an issue anymore.

My Husky is a massive licker and I don't mind too much as long as she doesn't go overboard - if I tell her to stop she does. I don't mind if she licks scratches, I have found that her licking my legs has actually helped my itching (funny considering that first off the doctor thought it was an allergy to the dogs!) I'd never let her lick an open wound though.

There isn't an appropriate response for me... I do not allow my dogs to lick me becuse my skin has an intolerance to their saliva. I break out in eczema within one minute of even the smallest lick.

I would love to let them lick me. I do not a hygiene or sensation issue, just allergies :confused:

I voted No, don't like the sensation, which is partly true, but mine are taught from day of arrival that liking is not for humans. mainly because most visitors and general public do not appreciate a 12 inch tongue up the face or anywhere for that matter.It's almost as bad as dogs that jump up on people.

If they want to give me a kiss it is a bump with their nose usually either on my nose or chin and then a big cuddle and a scritch.

I let Cleo do it in two circumstances...

1. She licks my neck when I let her, usually in greeting

2. if im sitting down and she licks my foot, really slowly like "lliiiiiccckk, lllliiiccckkk" like she's thinking aw mum I love you and your stinky feet :rofl:

I don't otherwise like it, the other dog (not mine) tries to lick my hand or grab it in her mouth while I'm walking and I detest it, if they're gonng lick me, its on my terms.

I don't love the sensation, but I do let him a bit anyway. He is not an excessive licker, in fact, you're pretty lucky if you do get licked - even if you have food on your hands. The only time he really licks me is when we're having a bit of a hug session - I will wrap my arms around his head and pat his head, ears and neck, and in return, he wraps his head around my arm and licks my wrist and arm a couple of times. He looks up into your eyes when he does this which makes it kind of sweet. I think it's his way of showing affection.

That said, if I do have a cut, he is desperate to lick it but it just makes me feel a bit gross. If he does manage lick it though I don't really care, just move it out of the way because again I know he's just trying to help. Funniest thing is bandaids, he tries to groom them off.

Actually I lie, there is one time when he's a big licker - right after you get out of the shower, he will (if he can) try to help "dry" you by licking your legs - this neither my partner nor I am keen on.