Public Dog Washes

tlc

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend got it for me, she gave me two bottles of it. It's a bright tangerine colour and smells lightly citrus.

It brings their coats up a treat.

ETA: it's made by Kelco and it's highly concentrated.

Edited by Gayle.

I'm pretty sure the Tru Blu K9000's can only run on mains water - so no water re-use happening.

Until I move and can afford a hydrobath and dryer (i.e. when pigs fly) I take the Toller to one and I find it very good. The baths are always rinse disinfected, I have seen the service station attendants doing it on a regular basis even when other people don't, and I use the last 40 seconds to disinfect after I let the dog out. :)

I use a local one in winter but try to avoid them. We used to use one of the first ones around and both doof and my old girl wound up with foot infections. When I popped them in to my vet he said 'oh, are you using xyz, because we are seeing a ton of dogs with a fungal infection on their feet and the only thing they seem to have in common is having baths there'

Put me right off!

Ewww that's gross about the foot infections, but I do think in summer it would be the type of environment bacteria would grow in. I know the new one I'm using occasionally is well maintained, the owner is great, hopefully he will stay on top of regular cleaning etc.

S n T I'm pretty sure your right and the water is mains water.

That video was really cute. I'm impressed that not one of them looks the slightest bit happy but they all just sit there and take their punishment like good little dogs! I have a couple here that I have to keep one hand on at all times or they'll make a run for it.

I used to use the public dog wash baxknim vic and could do 2 grown bullmastiffs and a grown dobe in ten minutes but I just brought towels to dry them because the dryer was crap. Now I just use a hose since I live in qld and the weather is warmer or if I'm in s hurry or it's a bit chilly in winter I'll I use the dog wash. I used to have a brand new hydrobath and dryer and sold them hardly used because I never got around to plumbing the bath in, regretting getting rid of them now. I'll have to buy another I think.

Edited by Kaffy Magee

I use the bath down at the local pet barn for Z - he's too big to fit in the bath at home and is petrified of the shower so it's just easier. If he was smaller, I'd put him in the bath but I can't actually get him in there to wash him! The pet barn bath has a disinfectant cycle after every dog and is well maintained so I'm not worried. They do a big clean out every day too.

I would kill for a hydrobath but it's just not going to happen at the moment.

Im lucky as my local vet has a hydrobath. They charge $10 per wash and I have always been able to cram two dogs in at the same time. I use my own shampoo and bring towels.

My last rental had a shower head on a hose which was fantastic so I used to wash them in the shower but this one unfortunately doesn't.

I used to use a public hydrobath for my large dogs when I had them they have since gone to the bridge. I now only have a small dog and he gets done at home. Someone asked if they put their dog in the shower with them, yes that is the way I bath him he only weighs 7kg so it is much easier.

I think one standard Poo would fill the whole tub. :laugh: I'm lucky I can fit all 4 of mine in, I took the boys on their own last time and it was strange as there was so much room!

While we are on the subject of dog bathing does anyone put their dog in the shower with them?

Yup, we have a detachable shower head and doglet seems more comfortable on the flat tiles of the shower floor than in our slightly curved bath. I usually sit down in the recess to avoid bending over. Easy to rinse myself off afterwards and she will shake off inside the recess which reduces the amount of wet dog on our bathroom walls.

I use one occasionally , cost $10- to start off and i can do a rotti, kelpie and swf in that time easy , use the diso before the dogs go in , for an extra $2- my gf can do her GSD asd well , reckon it's great value , wash, rinse,conditon and flea/tick rinse , I take towels and give them a quick run over , then we go for a walk

I never thought about infections either until a vet friend of mine started on a rant about them. After the first two words out of her mouth, ringworm and mange, I abruptly decided they weren't for me. She had many, many more on her list though, including parvo... Dog is messy with diarrorea, it's not going in the tub at home...

Unless they were getting Virkon soaks for their disinfecting cycle I wouldn't be using them.

We used to use a public hydrobath about 2 dogs ago ... the particular place went from being DIY to employee only - at this stage we had to stop using them because our dog didn't tolerate anyone else touching them. After being unable to find another suitable place we went out and brought our own hydrobath.

Since then I think we have use one less then half a dozen times ... our older boy picked up something like doggy tinea after using one.

I dislike the idea of unknown dogs using them and then not being cleaned after each dog. We even clean our hydrobath everytime we wash our own dogs :)

Edited by Tilly

Tarja is a hassle to wash in the shower with the double coat, but it's the only option at home, I don't have a bathtub and she's much too big for the laundry tub. If I just don't have time I'll go down to the local dog wash, they automatically disinfect after each wash and you can run an extra disinfect cycle. She did develop scaly skin after her last bath there though, so I'll be taking my own shampoo in future. My dryer is one of the best things I've ever bought, way better than the one at the dog wash :)

That video was really cute. I'm impressed that not one of them looks the slightest bit happy but they all just sit there and take their punishment like good little dogs! I have a couple here that I have to keep one hand on at all times or they'll make a run for it.

They are really good in he tub and you right they don't look impressed especially Coop and Tully, :laugh: Lacy loves the water, she's the Stevie Wonder of the bath tub!

It's interesting to hear others views. I occasionally put mine in the shower except Cooper he is not a fan of showers, he's more if a tub boy. :laugh:

KM, I'm impressed 3 big dogs in 10 mins, that's great and the dryers are crappy not warm enough but apparently they are only allowed to have them set to a certain temp.

We used to use one at a vet and it was only once our dog had broken skin from a cut that we actually thought about it, and shortly afterwards bought a hydrobath. I know not everyone can buy a hydrobath, but sometimes we'd have to clean up big clumps of hair before using it, so if people were inconsiderate enough to leave that, I'm betting they are inconsiderate enough to bath dogs with the squirts, gooey eyes, etc etc.