Komondor Breeders

blonde

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the ANKC standard:

He has an imperturbable courage in the guarding and defence of the herds entrusted to him and the property and home of his master. He attacks silently and enduringly. He regards his territory as his own property and will not tolerate any other living creature in it. His nature is suspicious. During the day, he likes to keep a lying position enabling him to control his area. At night, he is always on the move.

Combined with the size (minimum 70cms for dogs, 65 cms for bitches) and that massive matted coat which would probably stink to high heaven if it got damp, I don't think that breed would suit many people looking for a pet.

Edited by Gayle.

Yes used to be a breeder in SA but haven't heard of any Komondor for years. They are not the easiest breed. They are a livestock guardian and at the 'sharper' end of the scale. Very dominant and independently minded dogs on the whole (and can have issues with agression if not well managed). Definitiely not for anyone but a very experienced dog handler!

Edited by espinay2

Pulis come in lighter colours sometimes, the one at school would not be a Komondor. We looked into them years ago, and the SA breeders were the only ones in Australia with them. They had imported a few but had lttle breeding success before retiring their stock. As far as I know the are no entire Komondorok left in Australia.

We did hope to import some but never found the funds, and have since moved to a smaller property where they would be less suited.

Definitely not a dog for the fainthearted or inexperienced. They have been used wth much success in the USA as stock guardians as large predators don't faze them.

We groomed some for the Adelaide Royal quite a few years ago and they were the stinkiest dogs I have ever seen, their coats weren't corded they were just mat chunks. We also did show pulis and there was no comparison in the way the coats were corded or cared for. These komondors were show dogs but they way they looked they must have been used for their natural purposes primarily

Well i have done a little research and their is a registered breeder with Dogs Victoria. O and i also found some other itneresting info from a Burkes backyard fact sheet so probably old, but it said at the time there were only 13 Komondors in Australia and only a few thousand worldwide.

I wanted to make a decision between the Komondor , the Maremma, and the Pyrenese Mountain dog for a good flock guarding dog?? I guess i will post another topic to see which would be the best for me, but i guess now the Komondor is more or less off the list.

We groomed some for the Adelaide Royal quite a few years ago and they were the stinkiest dogs I have ever seen, their coats weren't corded they were just mat chunks. We also did show pulis and there was no comparison in the way the coats were corded or cared for. These komondors were show dogs but they way they looked they must have been used for their natural purposes primarily

What grooming did you do? How were they to handle?

They were for baths only apparently it took 3-5 days for them to dry because of the coat, it took well over an hour each to bath them and we used a big bottle of Morning Fresh each plus huge amounts of shampoo to try and strip the dirt/grease and they were still not white. Handling wise I don't remember them being difficult just very aloof, they never made an impression on me at all to be honest. I was a very young junior groomer and I just remember the water colour and smell, I also remember catching 2 buses and a train home and having people smell me all the way - wet dog smell isn't pleasnat at the best of times. I really liked the pulis but always had a negative feeling about the komondors

Dont worry those benched near them at Adelaide royal weren't impressed either but a good one should look special.

I remember the stunner who hada segment on Westminster perfect cords,clean.The compare made it very known that it was hard task to get a Komodor to Westminster due to the amount of public but this boy showed his pants of & you had to say WOW.

I also remember the following year the same dog has his cords chopped of for retirement & the weight of those cords was :eek:

He was simply in looks a Puli but of course ten times bigger

Dont worry those benched near them at Adelaide royal weren't impressed either but a good one should look special.

I remember the stunner who hada segment on Westminster perfect cords,clean.The compare made it very known that it was hard task to get a Komodor to Westminster due to the amount of public but this boy showed his pants of & you had to say WOW.

I also remember the following year the same dog has his cords chopped of for retirement & the weight of those cords was :eek:

He was simply in looks a Puli but of course ten times bigger

I've seen them at Westminster. Last year we sat and watched the Komondor judging. What an impressive sight that was. A ring full of immaculately turned out Komondors. A sight i'll never forget. LOVE them!

Millbrooksprings im not sure .

There are 2 breeds that leave royal memories in my head for smelling badly.

The Komodors at Adelaide & some of the Bloodhounds at Melbourne & when benched near them all day one can say there where some very unhappy campers about