Electric Containment Systems

StaceyB

Can anyone reccommend an Electronic Containment System that doesn't cost a small fortune? Our house is on a medium sized suburban block and Im looking at getting a radio transmitter/collar system (IYKWIM). I can't use a Ping String because I have a toddler.

The dog just can't be trusted inside for long periods of time any more due to being compeletly lazy with her toileting, and no, she has no new health issues to explain it. Problem is that she is a dog agressive escape artist so I can't trust her outside unsupervised for long periods either and I dont want to tie her up. The issue has been getting worse and worse over the last 12 months or so and I have had enough. I couldn't even stand to look at her last night after sh!tting all over the rug in my daughters bedroom while the back door was open for her.

I would not trust an aggressive escape artist with a radio collar containment system for long periods of time, especially if DA. What happens if some other dog decides to come visit? Or the batteries fail? Also, I'd inquire whether the rangers will accept it.

I have used Dogwatch hidden fence with great success. However this is not the cheapest on the market - probably the most expensive - but most suppliers have a money back guarantee.

Regarding the batteries going flat just check the collar regularly as even if they do go flat it usually takes the dog several days to work out it is not working.

Apparently some dogs - especially if stimulated (eg sees another dog that they want to get to) will just work through the pain and break the barrier.

Have you tried looking in Gayle's "Living with an Escape Artist" thread? Lots of ideas there. Do you know how she's getting out (climbing, jumping, digging)?

Probably a cheaper and more effective idea would be to build your dog a fully enclosed run.

There is no guarantee that your current yard with an electric containment system will keep him in (as per previous posts) and the last thing you want is a dog aggressive dog running loose. Because even if the dog is only dog aggressive, if she goes for a dog and the owner tries to intervene it could become a dog attacks human case, not something you want on your conscious or something you want to deal with.

You can get some very decent runs for a very decent price these days. I know someone with a fully enclosed 10sqm run that only cost him $900 delivered and keeps in his Malamutes.

Something like this

http://www.barkcontrol.com.au/buy/petsafe-large-rectangular-kennel-run-2.3m-x-3.8m-x-1.8m-75136/303

Would be good.

From what I've read /heard, those systems will not work on dogs who are in hunting/attacking mode..they just go thru the zap.

The issue has been getting worse and worse over the last 12 months or so and I have had enough. I couldn't even stand to look at her last night after sh!tting all over the rug in my daughters bedroom while the back door was open for her.

I know this wasn't your question.. apologies :o

But:

Considering there are multiple problems impacting on your life .. I suggest you contact someone professional to see what you can do to make things more pleasant for everyone. Th e only name I know of in teh West is This lady

I also think perhaps another vet opinion? I have known dogs to have different behaviour because of tumours on the brain ... worth a think, maybe?

I hope it all works out soon.

I have one The brand is Sureguard and is Australian made. Their customer service is excellent. We are very pleased with it, it keeps our German Shepard in 24/7. However we did have a few problems at first...you need to remember that your dog needs to be trained to use it, you can't just whack the collar on and he'll automatically stay in. It's not hard to train them though...only takes a few hours, but well worth it. As some others have suggested it wont keep other dogs out which could be a problem if you are in a built up area with lots of roaming dogs. It's not cheap though and I did a lot of research and asked others...what I was told is don't get the cheaper imported ones cause they wont last long and aren't as good. I have over an acre and if I was to fence that whole area it would have cost a small fortune and there still would have been the digging out or jumping over risk...not to mention that we are too lazy to open and close gates all the time. I am very happy with mine and consider it money well spent. However it may not work for you or your breed of dog...do lots of research before you make the decision.

Thanks for the responses guys. I had a few sessions with a lady that Kathy (the woman Persephone linked) reccommended in the past, who is actually another DOLer and they were quiet successful. Unfortunately our circumstances have changed and we do need some more one-on-one training, which I am saving up for now.

I know exactly where she gets out from and we've done our best to block it off.

Those dog runs look good, I'll have to get permission though because we rent, but I'll definitely look into something like that. They are pretty similar in price to the electric containment systems too.

We do have a ping string, which worked really well, but since having kids it's just not an option to put it back up.

She's generally great dog, wonderful temperament with people and she's fantastic with kids, and her basic obediance but she has really been pushing the limits of my sanity and patience recently. She's been outside all day and hasn't even tried to jump the fence, so Im hoping thats a promising start (rather than her just not being bothered to try coz it hot).

Apparently some dogs - especially if stimulated (eg sees another dog that they want to get to) will just work through the pain and break the barrier.

One of my dogs would do this - but only in an area where there was no fence. He would run and jump as he went through the zone (who knows why he would jump). As we purchased a product with reps and a guarantee they came to our home and we worked though some solutions. Problem solved.

I would presumme if the dog could get a run up and jump straight over the fence they may work throught the pain to get out. However I would not think if the dog had to scale/climb the fence they would not get out as they have to stay in the zone too long. My boy certainly has never got out over the fences which he does get over if the containment system is not on.

I personally think if you are going to go down this path you need to make sure you are getting a good product, with reps that can come to your house if it is not working. Also some of the cheaper system run off a different fequency which can be interupted/affected (this is what i was told anyway).

Thanks for the responses guys. I had a few sessions with a lady that Kathy (the woman Persephone linked) reccommended in the past, who is actually another DOLer and they were quiet successful. Unfortunately our circumstances have changed and we do need some more one-on-one training, which I am saving up for now.

I know exactly where she gets out from and we've done our best to block it off.

Those dog runs look good, I'll have to get permission though because we rent, but I'll definitely look into something like that. They are pretty similar in price to the electric containment systems too.

We do have a ping string, which worked really well, but since having kids it's just not an option to put it back up.

She's generally great dog, wonderful temperament with people and she's fantastic with kids, and her basic obediance but she has really been pushing the limits of my sanity and patience recently. She's been outside all day and hasn't even tried to jump the fence, so Im hoping thats a promising start (rather than her just not being bothered to try coz it hot).

Regarding renting and the runs. Those particular runs are not permanent and dont need to be concreted in or anything, they are just anchored down, then when/if you move you just take the whole thing down and move it with you. So I doubt your real estate or landlord would mind :)

I watched my Murray Curly clear the fence with a collar on and because he wanted to please me so badly when I called him he jumped straight back in...all with the collar. It was later when he came home with the neighbours chooks whilst wearing the collar that he went to the city to live with family.

A ping could work but a clever dog will get under or over eventually. YOu probably need to look at alternates.

Edited by D_mentias

Hi StaceyB :)

I have an escape artist here too.

In fact all of them will wander off if not watched.

You haven't said anything about your yard or the fences.

There is no looking back from and electric fence, if your circumstances allow it.

They operate on 3 volts which is a lot less than the hundreds of volts used for cattle.

The electric wire is the white strand along the bottom.

:cheers:

post-3970-0-00306500-1324384755_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tralee

A quick thing to consider if you are going to use a buried e-fence (the ones that require a collar). Your dog may be effectively trapped inside the enclosure while others are free to come and go. This means (unless you have a secondary enclosure) you dog can still get attacked / pregnant / led astray on your property by visitors. Above ground zappy fences are effective (we have cattle fencing and the dogs wont go near it after getting zapped once) however normally the first zap occurs as they go through causing them to run tail down madly away form the fence. If they are more than 1/2 way through when the jolt occurs (they normally pulse at 1/2-3 second intervals) thy may run forward onto the road so scared they don't see the oncoming kenworth!!!! Finally, I have found the noise (read squealing) made by a dog that has been zapped (remember ours are designed to keep cattle out of the horse yards so are somewhat stronger than the dog ones) has in the past caused others to go a bit nuts and attack the squealing running dog!!

Just a few considerations

Is it an option to put it right up at the top of the fence line, so she has to jump to get the zap? It would put you daughter out of any danger (as far as my understanding of ping strings go)

Finally, I have found the noise (read squealing) made by a dog that has been zapped (remember ours are designed to keep cattle out of the horse yards so are somewhat stronger than the dog ones) has in the past caused others to go a bit nuts and attack the squealing running dog!!

Hi

Hmmm, they're not legal. That's why they have dog ones - max 3 volts.. :whisper::crossfingers:

Regards

Px

NB Difficult post to make. I hope I've been diplomatic.

Hi StaceyB :)

I have an escape artist here too.

In fact all of them will wander off if not watched.

You haven't said anything about your yard or the fences.

There is no looking back from and electric fence, if your circumstances allow it.

They operate on 3 volts which is a lot less than the hundreds of volts used for cattle.

The electric wire is the white strand along the bottom.

:cheers:

Um, yes she haswink.gif

Our house is on a medium sized suburban block