How Do You Deal With Bybers?

ironbutterfly

Went down the beach this afternoon for a walk. all up it was 4 kids, my sister with her Mini Schnauzer, myself and my SBT. We were only down there for a few minutes when I noticed a woman watching my dog then she made a few gestures towards her partner. He eventually came over and asked about my boy.

In our rather short conversation he expressed interest in putting my boy over his Amstaff bitch. I flatly refused. Saying it is up to my dog's breeder. He then went on to say he's "pumped out" (his words) 3 litters of puppies from this bitch. I thought I was going to vomit and seriously wanted smack him upside the head. He started carrying on about where his bitch came from, how much he paid for her and mentioned the kennel name. I looked up the kennel as I thought about sending an email saying this guy is breeding your lines with SBT (the 3 litters he's done have been SBTxAmstaff). Well by the looks and what I've read this so called 'breeder' isn't going to care either.

It's people like him I really hate! I wanted to go into a whole spiel about BYB but I was shocked by his audacity and the way he talked. Definitely the kind of person doing a disservice to Amtaffs and SBTs.

So how do you handle BYBer or the ill-educated morons in the street? Do you try and educate them? Unfortunately this is a common problem in our area. People even pimp out their pets on FB.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how do you handle BYBer or the ill-educated morons in the street? Do you try and educate them?

Yes

You ask those self-interested, dog neglecting creeps for their prefix and then explain that you don't cross-breed.

You then advocate and promote pure bred dogs.

If they want to listen explain the merits of a pedigree dog.

But, it is not easy to persuade those people who have elevated themselves above our dogs, about how dogs cannot always speak for themselves.

Sometimes people with pure bred dogs won't stick to the Code, or listen to wiser heads, either.

Px

It depends, some I inform and hope that it sticks, though the angle I use for lack of better word varies depending on what I think may be more effective. And some I walk away shaking my head at. My boy is desexed but I know some of my friends have even been sworn at for refusing to lend out their dogs for breeding services :/

I just ignore it and don't get into it with them. It's not illegal to cross breed, just ridiculous. They think they're right and they're doing the dog world huge favours and it's like talking to a brick wall so I don't bother.

When people ask me to use my dog (who isn't even pure), I just tell them he's only the wonderful dog he is because of the time I've put into him, and I'm too worried about finding responsible owners for the puppies. If they don't get enough time and training, they can quickly be a handful and end up in shelters/pounds etc, and yet being the sort of dogs they are they don't deal well with being re-homed.

I also tell them that I know there are too many dogs dying in the pounds right now and so I couldn't justify bringing in new dogs unless they are improving dogs on the whole. They rarely attack this point, they just focus on all the 'great' homes they have lined up, who are supposedly in the market for doberman cross everything from GSD to husky :s

It happened to me recently, a person wanting to use my dog to produce a hunting mix with his bitch.

It took me by surprise - mostly because all my dogs are female and he thought they were male - and I just told him I don't do that.

He took my response well enough but I have had people get mad in the past.

At least he had a purpose, when they ask saying how much money they reckon the pups would go for, I get a little blunter.

ignore them totally and excuse yourself politely. You get more flies with honey then vinegar.

If they are insistant on say, using your dog, I put the price of the stud fee at $10,000. They scuttle at that.

That's a good one, have to remember that :D

I usually tell randoms it's not my dog, just looking after him for the day and would have to ask the owner and don't forward any info on about the dog, I just tell them I don't know anything about the dog's background if they ask questions?. I know they are idiots, but I don't show them any emotion and prefer being pleasant and dopey in those encounters. :)

Edited by mace

it's hard when you own an entire Dogue de Bordeaux male. They seem to think he's ready to mate whatever mongrel they put in front of him. I tell them the fee and his pedigree and they shrink back into their little holes. So far the best wad of cash I've had in my hand is $5000 for the dog and I threw it back at the man.

it's hard when you own an entire Dogue de Bordeaux male. They seem to think he's ready to mate whatever mongrel they put in front of him. I tell them the fee and his pedigree and they shrink back into their little holes. So far the best wad of cash I've had in my hand is $5000 for the dog and I threw it back at the man.

:eek: really... wow.. i actually knew someone in SA who was complaining that they wanted a Dogue de Bordeaux to have a litter with over their bitch (who was pure) as they thought theyd make alot of money.. apparently they were having some trouble as no breeder would agree to it :rofl: :rofl: and they arent a very common breed around where she lived.. i remember sitting there very confused and trying to understand why shed honestly thought any breeder would actually agree to having a litter with her and trying to work out if she was pulling my leg (she wasnt :laugh::eek: )

I got a ph call once from a BYB who had been on my website & had liked the look of my Bailey...He wanted to use him to mate with his JRT bitch, as he had a Aussie Terrier x JRT as a child & wanted a new puppy just like that one...

I then told him I don't support BYBing & that as a registered breeder it is unethincal for me to cross breed one of my pedigree dogs with another breed. I also told him that there is enough cross breed dogs in the pound that don't have homes & will likely be PTS, & if he doesn't have homes lined up for the rest of the litter he would only be contributing to this.

I was then going to give him a lecture on the cost of whelping & raising puppies, & also the possibility of what could go wrong, but he then cut me off & said "I know what I'm bloody doing", "I've already bred 5 litters from my bitch" :mad ....& then he called me a F***ing snob & hung up on me. :eek:

I saw an add just recently for "English Staffies" on a Facebook page. Someone asked who the sire was as they were looking for a dog to put over their "English Stafford" bitch.

The reply........Oh he wasn't ours our friend was dog sitting so we used him..................................... :eek:

If anyone ever dared ever to do that to me, it would be holy shit batman you'd better leave town!!!!!!!

"I've already bred 5 litters from my bitch" ....& then he called me a F***ing snob & hung up on me.

And people think it is all the registered breeders who are pumping out too many puppies!!!!! Well the general public anyway. I know of very few bitches that have had that many litters with a 6th in the planning!

I saw an add just recently for "English Staffies" on a Facebook page. Someone asked who the sire was as they were looking for a dog to put over their "English Stafford" bitch.

The reply........Oh he wasn't ours our friend was dog sitting so we used him..................................... :eek:

If anyone ever dared ever to do that to me, it would be holy shit batman you'd better leave town!!!!!!!

OMG!! there would be HELL to pay if that happened, id probably request they abort the litter or insist on having a say on pup placement/ being paid a fee.. (if i couldnt press charges any idea on if someone can do that?..) my boy is desexed but i hope to show my next dog so they probably wont be and this is my nightmare :(

"I've already bred 5 litters from my bitch" ....& then he called me a F***ing snob & hung up on me.

And people think it is all the registered breeders who are pumping out too many puppies!!!!! Well the general public anyway. I know of very few bitches that have had that many litters with a 6th in the planning!

i unfortunately do know of a few registered breeders who have probably had close to that many litters from their bitches before they retire them (but none id buy from) i think that part of the issue may be that BYB is more about the money than the bitch and they often dont realise the harm it can do to breed their bitch every cycle :( that poor girl though not much of a life always having pups around :cry: (and yes i agree far too much of the overpopulation issues are blamed on ethical registered breeders while those same people will happily breed their dogs :mad :mad )

I think this guy caught me off guard which made me even more uncomfortable, if it had just been me by myself I wouldn't of even entered into a conversation (I'd be too busy running up and down the beach). Usually once I say it's up to my boy's breeder most people leave it but this guy was so persistent.

I was asked by a teenager and his dad if I could bring Mac around to their place to mate with their maltipoo-something, I said ok but he will cost them $1500 for a stud fee. They had nothing much to say after that...I should have, perhaps, charged less, as Mac is desexed :laugh:

Edited by Boronia

I was asked by a teenager and his dad if I could bring Mac around to their place to mate with their maltipoo-something, I said ok but he will cost them $1500 for a stud fee. They had nothing much to say after that...I should have, perhaps, charged less, as Mac is desexed :laugh:

classic! Lol

:rofl: