How Do You Deal With Bybers?

ironbutterfly

We rang up several "breeders" that listed in the paper, only to discover that they were BYBs...ummm- No thanks.

You'll often see in the paper (here) *breed*x*breed* looking for a mate. Usually they'll also write "doesn't matter what breed, must have a good temperament". :mad

Another one- My ex has a Husky X. He met a girl one night with a PB Husky. He asked if hers was desexed (it was thank god) He said that he was disappointed that he couldn't make cute puppies. He told me this and I said that it was fantastic that she was responsible enough to get her dog desexed! :rofl: (I had to walk away)

We (well I lol) spent a long time searching for the right breeder, and the right pup. We have her :D

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people will never get it...

T.

Yup met a family that BYB maltese and they genuinely didn't/couldnt understand the dangers of bring a two week old pup for christmas photos, with its 'grandmother' who had pneumonia. I warned them that we could not guarantee all dogs who had visited had been vaccinated, but was told its fine our dogs are. I pointed to the pup and they completely missed the point about the pup not being vaccinated. I mentioned quarantining the pup and they didn't know what that meant. The pups all get weekly vet visits, but no actual health testing. The breeder couldn't actually understand the difference between a vet looking at the dog and doing any breed specific health tests.....

They have 5 bitches that needed to whelp so they could do their christmas shopping :mad I just walked away

Edited by Jumabaar

I was asked by a teenager and his dad if I could bring Mac around to their place to mate with their maltipoo-something, I said ok but he will cost them $1500 for a stud fee. They had nothing much to say after that...I should have, perhaps, charged less, as Mac is desexed :laugh:

classic! Lol

Need to line up some males with a vasectome, that would teach them after spending 5K in stud fees and no puppies :rofl:

Lots and lots of backyarders truly think that having the parent dogs up to date with vaccinations IS health testing. Combine that with worming and vaccinating the puppies and they think they have all the health tests covered.

Last time I took my 10 month old Choc Tri Border Collie dog & Choc Border Collie dog for a walk in public, a lady ran up to me & said Ohhhhhhh....how lovely...are you going to breed....my husband would love a long haired Kelpie. :eek: I was very polite & told her they were not long haired kelpies & that I didn't agree with BYB'ers & went on to explain the merits of ethical breeding. I don't think she understood...like the majority of Mr & Mrs Public :(

Lots and lots of backyarders truly think that having the parent dogs up to date with vaccinations IS health testing. Combine that with worming and vaccinating the puppies and they think they have all the health tests covered.

Yup

I tell people my boys have been chemically castrated. Saves the idiots following me although with kelpies its not a problem and I tell people my female Finnish Lapphund is desexed.

Going to the dog park with the poodles I could be very rich... The amount of people with cavaliers or maltese that have asked me if they could use my DOG is crazy.

I usually just smile and nod and tell them sorry but SHE is desexed. They never want to use the poor white poodle, it's always the black one. I had one lady want to use him *cough*her*cough* because she wanted to make "black cavoodles".

I was asked by a teenager and his dad if I could bring Mac around to their place to mate with their maltipoo-something, I said ok but he will cost them $1500 for a stud fee. They had nothing much to say after that...I should have, perhaps, charged less, as Mac is desexed :laugh:

classic! Lol

Need to line up some males with a vasectome, that would teach them after spending 5K in stud fees and no puppies :rofl:

Great idea ;) lol

So how do you handle BYBer or the ill-educated morons in the street? Do you try and educate them?

Yes

You ask those self-interested, dog neglecting creeps for their prefix and then explain that you don't cross-breed.You then advocate and promote pure bred dogs.

If they want to listen explain the merits of a pedigree dog.

But, it is not easy to persuade those people who have elevated themselves above our dogs, about how dogs cannot always speak for themselves.

Sometimes people with pure bred dogs won't stick to the Code, or listen to wiser heads, either.Px

How did you then end up with abitch at your home for a pre mating assessment without checking the situation out -"No, Lilly was here for assessment; 'pre-mating.'

But, she was bred by steve which is why we initially considered her for mating." "I acted in good faith, and with that in mind and heart, and for that I thank the Lord that I was not knit together in this inaugural litter which I have no doubt was to become the seed for the establishment of BYB."

The owner didn't have a prefix and you nearly helped create a litter of BYB puppies except she escaped and was recaptured and this was a couple of weeks ago.

Edited to add what I was refering to :) If we have standards and ethics then we should abide by them all of the time and not just quote them

Edited by millbrooksprings

So how do you handle BYBer or the ill-educated morons in the street? Do you try and educate them?

Yes

You ask those self-interested, dog neglecting creeps for their prefix and then explain that you don't cross-breed.You then advocate and promote pure bred dogs.

If they want to listen explain the merits of a pedigree dog.

But, it is not easy to persuade those people who have elevated themselves above our dogs, about how dogs cannot always speak for themselves.

Sometimes people with pure bred dogs won't stick to the Code, or listen to wiser heads, either.Px

How did you then end up with abitch at your home for a pre mating assessment without checking the situation out -"No, Lilly was here for assessment; 'pre-mating.'

But, she was bred by steve which is why we initially considered her for mating." "I acted in good faith, and with that in mind and heart, and for that I thank the Lord that I was not knit together in this inaugural litter which I have no doubt was to become the seed for the establishment of BYB."

The owner didn't have a prefix and you nearly helped create a litter of BYB puppies except she escaped and was recaptured and this was a couple of weeks ago.

:confused: this directed at quoted poster or a general anecdote?

I work in a pet store. I had an older woman and her daughter come in with a 12 hour old puppy (you read correctly) to see if we could help them because the mum had rejected it apparently. My workmate immediately calls the vet to talk to them because these people didn't want to take it to the vet. The whole while, the daughter (about my age - 20ish give or take a few years) is covering, uncovering, covering uncovering this poor pup. She tells me it's already died once, but they've brought it back.

The mother then tells/asks me "We have another pregnant bitch, she's discharging and bleeding and we pulled this long white thing out and it look liked her insides" (no joke) "I'm on a pension, I don't have $2000 to go to the vet" and that is a quote. I was disgusted, appalled, horrified. I just said "Well I plan on breeding one day, and I'm going to have that much money (or more) put aside JUST IN CASE that were to happen" Not to mention I show and will apply for a prefix etc - the responsible route.

Then my workmate gets off the phone and tells them that the vets are expecting them (to try and get them to go)...no idea what ended up happening but the pup died and the discharging bitch gave birth to a litter of dead pups with cleft palets - over a 3 day period :eek: She did end up taking the bitch to the vet but still, I cannot look at this woman. She is now selling the bitch, with full papers, as well as a dog that is "too old" for breeding with. The FUNNIEST part of the whole advertisment "backyard breeders need not apply" - uh hello? No prefix (I thoroughly looked into it as I know her name), no vet visits if she can avoid them, so probably no health testing so she ticks my "Backyard Breeder" box.

And the breed? "English Staffys" oh and they have "strong blue lines"

A month or so ago, I met up with a person with a male 4 month old supposed Belgian Shepherd purchased from a petshop.........to me it looked like a Belgian GSD X, but anyway he was telling me what a marvellous pedigree his pup had, the pup was papered but didn't have the parents listed on the papers just the health certificate, I am thinking the papers were probably the vaccination certificate from the vet, but the petshop had told him that the pup had come from champion parents etc etc.

Desexing came up in the conversation some how, he said "we are not going to desex him because of his champion pedigree, the Belgian Shepherd breeders may want to use him at stud" :eek:

I couldn't be bothered trying to explain anything, I just said "oh really", he was a nice enough guy, loved his pup, but some people have absolutley no idea and shook my head at the thought of a registered Belgian breeder wanting to stud which I am sure was a GSD X with a vaccination certificate as the dog's pedigree papers :rofl: , a young girl at the petshop who sold him the pup, her uncle used to breed "Shepherds" and she told him all about them ;)

The guy was totally straight faced and genuinely believed what he was telling me, really quite a sad situation.

I was walking my female SBT and was stopped by a guy who wanted me to let his "purebred miniature staffy" have pups with her so that he would stop humping peoples legs. He apparently cost thousands of dollars and has papers, but he was a miniature and only would stand as high as my bitch's elbows. He said I could do whatever I liked with the pups, he didn't care, he just wanted his dog to stop humping people and was convinced this would solve the problem.

I was walking my female SBT and was stopped by a guy who wanted me to let his "purebred miniature staffy" have pups with her so that he would stop humping peoples legs. He apparently cost thousands of dollars and has papers, but he was a miniature and only would stand as high as my bitch's elbows. He said I could do whatever I liked with the pups, he didn't care, he just wanted his dog to stop humping people and was convinced this would solve the problem.

I can't believe where these ideas people have come from?. The worse thing is that some of these people are not idiots in the sense they are decent, respectable and intelligent people otherwise, but come up with some real silly stuff in regard to dogs :confused:

I was stopped a couple of years ago, while crossing the road with my border collie, by 2 guys in a car. The passenger asked my if she was female & then if she was desexed, which she is. He said that was a shame because he had a male border collie at home that he'd like to mate her with because he liked the look of her.