Hunting Dogs Attack 5 People In Rampage

dancinbcs

News report

Police say it is lucky no-one was killed during a rampage by two hunting dogs in southern New South Wales.

The staghound cross dogs attacked five people in Wagga Wagga during a 30-minute frenzy on Christmas Eve.

Inspector Jeff Barr says a 49-year-old woman suffered the most serious injuries, and was transferred to Canberra for surgery.

"The woman was attacked from behind. She was pulled off a motorcycle and dragged some 10 metres around the back of a motor vehicle," Inspector Barr said.

"Her son, being alerted by her screams, came out and put himself between the dog and his mother. He sustained some injuries there and ended up wrestling with the dog.

"The dog was very violent, very hostile, very aggressive. Police had no choice and, assisted by the young man, the dog was actually destroyed."

Earlier the dogs had attacked a cyclist then a man and his small dog.

Inspector Barr praised the bravery of a young woman who came to the man's aid and was also attacked.

He says police have now tracked down the dogs' owner, who is out of town.

"At this stage, we believe that neither dog was registered or microchipped and that in itself is an offence," Inspector Barr said.

"Under the Companion Animals Act, quite significant monetary fines and again depending on the circumstances, harsher penalties may apply.

"The breed is not normally associated with these type of incidents, but certainly they can be used in hunting.

"They are a rather large and powerful dog. It is an incident that is quite disturbing and potentially could have led to a fatality."

The second dog is being held in the Wagga pound.

"I would assume that over the next couple of days a decision will be made in relation to the fate of the second dog," he said.

"I think its future looks quite bleak at the moment and I don't believe the animal could be trusted to interact with any member of the community."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News report

Police say it is lucky no-one was killed during a rampage by two hunting dogs in southern New South Wales.

The staghound cross dogs attacked five people in Wagga Wagga during a 30-minute frenzy on Christmas Eve.

Inspector Jeff Barr says a 49-year-old woman suffered the most serious injuries, and was transferred to Canberra for surgery.

"The woman was attacked from behind. She was pulled off a motorcycle and dragged some 10 metres around the back of a motor vehicle," Inspector Barr said.

"Her son, being alerted by her screams, came out and put himself between the dog and his mother. He sustained some injuries there and ended up wrestling with the dog.

"The dog was very violent, very hostile, very aggressive. Police had no choice and, assisted by the young man, the dog was actually destroyed."

Earlier the dogs had attacked a cyclist then a man and his small dog.

Inspector Barr praised the bravery of a young woman who came to the man's aid and was also attacked.

He says police have now tracked down the dogs' owner, who is out of town.

"At this stage, we believe that neither dog was registered or microchipped and that in itself is an offence," Inspector Barr said.

"Under the Companion Animals Act, quite significant monetary fines and again depending on the circumstances, harsher penalties may apply.

"The breed is not normally associated with these type of incidents, but certainly they can be used in hunting.

"They are a rather large and powerful dog. It is an incident that is quite disturbing and potentially could have led to a fatality."

The second dog is being held in the Wagga pound.

"I would assume that over the next couple of days a decision will be made in relation to the fate of the second dog," he said.

"I think its future looks quite bleak at the moment and I don't believe the animal could be trusted to interact with any member of the community."

I had an experience like this when we first moved into our current house and had no fencing. I was in dining area and saw large dog marching up the driveway as though it owned the place. I went straight outside to chase it out only to be confronted by two very large hunting breed dogs. The female probably would have been ok but the male barred his teeth and adopted a threating pose. I decided that retreat might be best due to the fact their was two large dogs and only myself at home. Went back inside and immediately rang the local council ranger - only to get a message bank. I then rang the council about how to contact the ranger. When I explained why the lady said that the owner had reported them missing and was out looking for the dogs and gave me his mobile number. By the time he arrived they had run everywhere around the house area and then had created havoc by running around the fencing of the chook pen. The turkeys became so terrified by the aggression at the pen and noise of the dogs the lighter weight ones flew out of the pen into the paddocks. At the time I wished I owned a gun as I felt my animals were so vunerable and all I could do was sit and wait for the owner/ranger. When the owner arrived with a friend he caught the bitch easily but the dog was more of a challenge and even he had trouble getting it to his car. After checking around once they were secured I found they had killed my youngest pet bantam chook that used to roam around the place and except for the male turkey all other turkeys(6) were scattered (later found some ended up across the highway in a neighbours property). I believe I was lucky (thank goodness) they didn't see the goats and kids in the back paddock only because they were so engrossed in trying to get the chooks and turkeys and their owner arrived quickly (although not quick enough for me!!!).

He said that someone had opened his gate. The dogs had travelled around 2 kms from their home and even though they caused problems here I was just thankful that they didn't encounter any kids or vunerable people on their journey as I wouldn't like to imagine what could have happened.

No chance for the second dog - it'll be put down for sure. I wonder if the out of town owner made any accommodations, like leaving them with a friend. Either that and they broke out of inadequate housing, but I think it's also possible for them to have just been left at home, and broke out because they were hungry/bored. Nothing people do to abuse animals surprises me anymore. Speculation aside, the owner has failed here in a big way. A pity they're not in Vic, they might face jail time then.

The chance of the dog being a staghound cross is very remote or more likely a poor assumption of it,s breeding. Staghounds were once a very popular breed in Australia but due to cross breeding have became a very rare breed with less than 200 pure types remaining Australia wide kept by a handful of enthusiasts. The most likely breeds involved would be a wolfhound/greyhound or deerhound/greyhound crossed with something.

That's very disturbing and must have been terrifying for those attacked.

The chance of the dog being a staghound cross is very remote or more likely a poor assumption of it,s breeding. Staghounds were once a very popular breed in Australia but due to cross breeding have became a very rare breed with less than 200 pure types remaining Australia wide kept by a handful of enthusiasts. The most likely breeds involved would be a wolfhound/greyhound or deerhound/greyhound crossed with something.

:confused: I thought what is referred to as a staghound (in Australia) was a deerhound x grey??

:confused: I thought what is referred to as a staghound (in Australia) was a deerhound x grey??

The Staghound evolved out of these two breeds over 150 years ago when they were much different types of animals to their modern counterparts. The type of coursing Greyhound used in it,s creation is long extinct in Australia with only the track type of Greyhound remaining here and the Deerhounds used were from working types similar to the ones Landseer liked to paint. The Staghound has a much different conformation,stamina and scenting ability than a Deerhound,Greyhound,Wolfhound or a cross of any of these breeds. It is actually Australia,s first pure breed of dog long before the Kelpie or the Cattle dog

Many people now though cross the finer staghounds with bull breeds for pig hunting etc. There is no such thing as a purebred 'Staghound' they are crosses between Irish Wolfhounds, Scottish Deerhounds, Greyhounds & some other breeds. You only have to look on some of the country NSW pound sites to see.

No chance for the second dog - it'll be put down for sure. Speculation aside, the owner has failed here in a big way. A pity they're not in Vic, they might face jail time then.

Well my decision would take into consideration the fact that dogs can G each other up.

I wouldn't be too hasty with determining the fate of the second dog that now has very different social contingencies.

It is stated that someone opened the OP's gate.

And that is something I've experienced myself.

Maybe the court could order the owner to put a lock on the gate.

BTW. Victorians don't have exclusive rights to harsh, punative penalties for failing to control dogs.

Many people now though cross the finer staghounds with bull breeds for pig hunting etc. There is no such thing as a purebred 'Staghound' they are crosses between Irish Wolfhounds, Scottish Deerhounds, Greyhounds & some other breeds. You only have to look on some of the country NSW pound sites to see.

No. People use cross bred running type dogs with bull breeds for pig hunting. Staghounds are almost impossible to get hold of these days as breeders are very careful where their dogs go and the chances of one of these pure Staghounds ending up at a pound would be very remote indeed. Staghounds are not crossed up Irish Wolfhounds, Scottish Deerhounds, Greyhounds or any other breeds. These are prized dogs amongst their owners and they are never advertised for sale to the general public. There are "lines" of these dogs that exist today in Australia that have been bred and kept pure for well over 100 years. You cannot simply cross a few dog breeds and create a "Staghound" because the breeds used in it,s creation are extinct today. Most Australians have a false belief that a Staghound is any cross bred type of hairy running dog but if you do a bit of research you will find that it simply isn,t the case.

The Staghound evolved out of these two breeds over 150 years ago when they were much different types of animals to their modern counterparts. The type of coursing Greyhound used in it,s creation is long extinct in Australia with only the track type of Greyhound remaining here and the Deerhounds used were from working types similar to the ones Landseer liked to paint. The Staghound has a much different conformation,stamina and scenting ability than a Deerhound,Greyhound,Wolfhound or a cross of any of these breeds. It is actually Australia,s first pure breed of dog long before the Kelpie or the Cattle dog

really :confused::laugh:

Mmm. Yeah right... believable greyhound information...

The Staghound has never been a "breed" but was a "type" formed from crossing several hound breeds to create working hounds suited to particular regions. True to this background the type varied between regions and kennels and has never been consistently bred in a fashion that would qualify as a "breed".

The name Staghound has current use as a term used by people largely ignorant of it's original meaning, to describe anything remotely roughcoated that either looks to have some sighthound in it's breeding somwhere, or being used for hunting.

And I am still confused because I looked up staghound after the comments about them being a long established "breed" and found sites for these and kangaroo dogs and they are still talking about crossbred dogs??

When the first settlers arrived in Australia and started to branch out to farm virgin country they first and foremost needed a dog to catch and quickly kill,( without damaging), the native game,( kangaroos, wallaroos, wallabys,emu) to put meat on the table,feed their working dogs and to kill the animals,( dingos, native cats,goannas)that preyed on their stock. The hunting/coursing type Greyhound of the late 1700,s early 1800,s that was first bought out to the colony had plenty of speed but was lacking strength, size and toughness for the harsh Australian conditions. The working type Deerhound of the late 1700,s, early 1800,s ,( much different to the modern show type Deerhound), was ideal but lacked the early speed of the Greyhound. They achieved the most success when crossing the Greyhound dog over a Deerhound bitch. The offspring of this cross were bred to each other and began to breed true to type with the all important large and strong rear end and were developed in a way to be hunted in packs out in front of men on horseback running on hot scent at speed rather than sight and to achieve multiple catches which is characteristic of the breed and makes it much different to other sighthound breeds. Coursing bred Greyhounds in Australia started to change when they started mechanical track,(tin hare), racing in the 1920,s creating the modern type track Greyhound we see today and when live hare coursing was banned forever in Australia the coursing type of Greyhound disappeared. The Staghound has never been made up of several breeds nor is the name "Staghound" the same as the word "pigdog" nor is it a type that is comprised of various breeds. The Staghound is the first pure breed of dog developed in Australia with the oldest lines.

Edited by brother fox

And I am still confused because I looked up staghound after the comments about them being a long established "breed" and found sites for these and kangaroo dogs and they are still talking about crossbred dogs??

Anybody who does research on the Staghound in books or internet sites will always be confused as there has never been a book written about them nor has their history been recorded other than by the breeders who use and continue to keep this working breed pure. You need to go to the "coalface" and talk to dedicated breeders or people who are over 90 years of age who have some understanding of working breeds of dogs in Australia to get an insight into this rare breed. You will find most of these dedicated breeders are usually private type people who are leading breeders of livestock with an outstanding knowledge of genetics who live in western Victoria or South Australia. 'Kangaroo'dogs are just a label like "pig dog","rabbit dog","fox dog"or"sheep dog"and should not be confused with the Staghound as a breed.

Anybody who does research on the Staghound in books or internet sites will always be confused as there has never been a book written about them nor has their history been recorded other than by the breeders who use and continue to keep this working breed pure. You need to go to the "coalface" and talk to dedicated breeders or people who are over 90 years of age who have some understanding of working breeds of dogs in Australia to get an insight into this rare breed. You will find most of these dedicated breeders are usually private type people who are leading breeders of livestock with an outstanding knowledge of genetics who live in western Victoria or South Australia. 'Kangaroo'dogs are just a label like "pig dog","rabbit dog","fox dog"or"sheep dog"and should not be confused with the Staghound as a breed.

so where are these dedicated breeders? Put your money where your mouth is!