Grumpy Not Well

Sheridan

Well, he's not as slippy now and he's had some dinner (steamed whiting and special kibble). He's done a solid poo (not the cow pats of a few days ago) and is sleeping on his mat. Fingers crossed for a good night. Thankfully, it seems very quiet around the neighbourhood.

Will update in the morning.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grumpy is much better though today he's a little down, I think. Could be the weather. He didn't want all his breakfast this morning and who can blame him? Breakfast is treat time, where he normally gets a piece of chicken with his tablet and some liver crisps on his kibble. This morning he got kibble and whiting. He's not too impressed with the whiting. It's got to be pretty tasteless. We're seeing the vet tomorrow after work so hopefully, we can get some of the food issues sorted out. He'll eat the kibble but he's got to have something that tastes good. Normally he's such a greedy guts.

He's not too bad, thanks, Kavik. He's quite stiff but I think some of that is due to not being on his Vivitonin for several days plus being at the vet and cooped up. He always seemed to fall out of the crate at the vet, poor old man. We're back to the vet tonight to discuss food, medication, and to get under his feet shaved off which should make him a bit more stable on his feet.

We went really well at the vet. He's now Mr Poodle Feet. Embarrassing but should help him stop being Mr Slippy. I like that the vets at the surgery treat owners as adults and engage in a discussion about the animal's health and diet. I thought Grumpy might have to go on a vet diet wet food and I wasn't too keen on this as many of them contain chicken, so we poured over the dietary food ingredients and analysis and the vet agreed with me that I should try to keep Grumpy on his regular mackerel, sardines and tuna and go onto the Royal Canin sensitivity diet. I can't recall if I mentioned I was hesitating about putting him on the BD because it was chicken based. As well, I will try him on the Rimadyl as of Thursday to see how he goes. He's getting a fairly low dose to take into account a potential wobbly tummy. He'll stay on the Vivitonin but he won't have huge amounts of treats so his bambi ears are out the door now, poor little man.

Hope Grumpy is recovering, poor boy. It must be very worrying for you all. A couple of years ago I used the RC sensitive stomach kibble when he wasn't improving and it cleared up his gastro quickly.

Mine managed to get bitten on the neck by a spider.....the wound looks gross but he seems in good spirits. The vet giving me a bottle of large antibiotics to give him twice a day nearly gave me a heart attack :eek: I knew it would be impossible. Luckily she had a two week lasting injection of the stuff but was reluctant to to offer it because of the price. I chose option two!

Hope he's back to normal soon :)

If Grumpy eats mostly a fish diet, can he eat dried fish fillets instead of his Bambi ear?

This is assuming you have a food dehydrator and are willing to stink out the neighbourhood when you are drying the fillets :D

Hope Grumpy is recovering, poor boy. It must be very worrying for you all. A couple of years ago I used the RC sensitive stomach kibble when he wasn't improving and it cleared up his gastro quickly.

Mine managed to get bitten on the neck by a spider.....the wound looks gross but he seems in good spirits. The vet giving me a bottle of large antibiotics to give him twice a day nearly gave me a heart attack :eek: I knew it would be impossible. Luckily she had a two week lasting injection of the stuff but was reluctant to to offer it because of the price. I chose option two!

Hope he's back to normal soon :)

Yes, when my first wheaten had PLN I went for the injection option for medicine, even though we had to go to the vet each day.

If Grumpy eats mostly a fish diet, can he eat dried fish fillets instead of his Bambi ear?

This is assuming you have a food dehydrator and are willing to stink out the neighbourhood when you are drying the fillets :D

Yes, I've recently bought a dehydrator and am making a trip to Costco to buy some fillets in bulk.

He's had his first Rimadyl tablet now so I'm hoping there will be some better movement and no tummy trouble. He was pretty grumpy this morning because they were being left outside today but health-wise he was pretty good.