Using Malaseb

i recently started using malaseb on both my dogs [as recommended by their vet] and it was mentioned that the ratio was indicated on the bottle, but it only goes as far as saying 50 mL for a 30 kg dog and 7-10 mL for a cat and to apply the shampoo directly in several spots on a wet coat...

would measuring and using only say 10-15 mL on each of my two 7 kg dogs be roughly correct? does using too little malaseb render it less effective?

they both seem a bit more comfortable since i started using malaseb [and pyohex lotion] :)

they both suffer yeasties and other itchies.

tia and happy new year :)

from a thread titled 'Alternative Ear Cleaner'

... (Malaseb is now 1ml to 50ml of water, 1:30 was since revised to 1:50).

thanks! i've been looking for this info to make up a foot bath and i'm glad to finally know what it is :)

Same - I didn't even realise there were measurements! Just squirt it on and go for it. THe most important aspect is giving it the ten minutes to work. I don't know if it's something I would use long term, it can be very drying on the coat.

I too just squirt on as much as id use of normal shampoo (for both puppy and ponies).

That 10 minutes seems like forever when you have a sulky puppy sitting in the laundry trough giving you the stink eye.

I too just squirt on as much as id use of normal shampoo (for both puppy and ponies).

That 10 minutes seems like forever when you have a sulky puppy sitting in the laundry trough giving you the stink eye.

I laughed out loud at this, Hugo was also giving me the stink eye when I was soaking his yeasty feet and had him sit between my legs with his front paws dunked in a bowl of water/malaseb. Luckily he doesn't have to endure that treatment anymore, but the withering looks he gave me could melt the flesh off my face :laugh:

I just squirt it in too, because I'm lazy to measure :o

I just squirt and apply.

Although, a rep from the company told me that you should put the portion recommended into a bucket of water as tis way it spreads further and lasts longer, also it foams up more if you do it this way.

I am too lazy to try though :o

I've just malasebbed three westies - my girl is the classic itchy westie and my old boy is an incessant paw licker. I put them in the laundry trough, wet them off, let any water out, then put the malaseb on and give them a ' malaseb massage ' for ten minutes or so, them rinse them off and towel them dry. I pay real attention to between their toes, under their nails and around their paw pads.

So no I don't measure either - but I'm wondering if I should as I've noticed it is very drying for their coats - and my girls coat looks a little yellowish - anyone ese with white dogs noticed this ? Other thoughts? :)

Westiemum - Our staffy AKA Stink-Eye-Arby has to have twice weekly malaseb baths and has for a few weeks now - it does dry after a few baths and i found feeding him flaxseed oil has softened his coat up quite well (amongst other great benefits!)

hi and thanks for your replies :)

I laughed out loud at this, Hugo was also giving me the stink eye when I was soaking his yeasty feet and had him sit between my legs with his front paws dunked in a bowl of water/malaseb. Luckily he doesn't have to endure that treatment anymore, but the withering looks he gave me could melt the flesh off my face :laugh:

I just squirt it in too, because I'm lazy to measure :o

both your bolded comments made me laugh out loud! bella hunkers down into a tight little ball and gives me puppy eyes :)

dju, it's good to hear success stories :) did you use a particular ratio for your foot soaks? and once you'd finished the soak, did you then have to rinse hugo's feet? i think i've read or i was told that a diluted malaseb foot soak didn't require rinsing!

The best way to apply it is by putting it on a small piece of wet kitchen sponge - it foams up really well and you only need to use the minimal amount so is less drying for the coat.

yeah, i'd read that and meant to ask if anyone else applies it the same way! when you say small piece of kitchen sponge, do you cut it into say quarters? do you have a quantity of water in a bucket or some other container [per aussielover below]?

thanks also for the tip about using 'less' malaseb :)

I just squirt and apply.

Although, a rep from the company told me that you should put the portion recommended into a bucket of water as tis way it spreads further and lasts longer, also it foams up more if you do it this way.

I am too lazy to try though :o

i like the kitchen sponge/container of water idea, and given what both you and jemappelle have posted and that no-one's posted that they use any kind of 'portion control', i'll just go ahead and use an amount that gets the job done!

thanks again for your replies :)

i was typing my reply as you two were posting :)

I've just malasebbed three westies - my girl is the classic itchy westie and my old boy is an incessant paw licker. I put them in the laundry trough, wet them off, let any water out, then put the malaseb on and give them a ' malaseb massage ' for ten minutes or so, them rinse them off and towel them dry. I pay real attention to between their toes, under their nails and around their paw pads.

this is exactly what i've been doing, but only twice so far :)

So no I don't measure either - but I'm wondering if I should as I've noticed it is very drying for their coats - and my girls coat looks a little yellowish - anyone ese with white dogs noticed this ? Other thoughts? :)

i can't help with that, yet but i certainly hope you can work something out...

jemappelle [above] says that if you use a sponge, it foams up really well and so you don't need to use so much and then aussielover [also above] says that her malaseb rep recommended mixing the malaseb with a quantity of water --- i'm going for both :)

Westiemum - Our staffy AKA Stink-Eye-Arby has to have twice weekly malaseb baths and has for a few weeks now - it does dry after a few baths and i found feeding him flaxseed oil has softened his coat up quite well (amongst other great benefits!)

i give my two melrose omega pet [5mL every night] --- it's not flaxseed, but would that do the trick [in anticipation of any dryness resulting]?

Its quite drying for the coat. And it doesn't have that nice "freshly washed dog" smell after :laugh:

So I use a leave in conditioner after.

I haven't bathed Mindy in ages though :o Now that its summer, we have been going to the beach a lot and interestingly I have found the salt water either helps her skin, or doesn't irritate it at all as she's actually gotten less itchy now :thumbsup:

So I have very little need to bathe her now as she usually gets pretty clean in the sea, which is a great bonus as trying to shove a nearly 30kg labrador into a bath and then keep her there is not a fun experience.

Skruffy n Flea, I just squirted a good amount in a shallow-ish bowl of water and mixed it around a bit, I didn't use any sort of ratio :o But I left him in there for fifteen minutes and rinsed them afterwards. If you're gonna soak your dog's feet though, make sure you wash the back ones thoroughly too, I put him in the sink and washed his front feet and I forgot that he had back feet and they were getting wet so he trailed dirt/mud over the carpet and made sure he did zoomies for the next ten minutes.. quite gleefully too. :laugh: Little.. argh!

i always mix it with water first as otherwise it is hard to spread through a GSD coat! Don't measure how much though. I also use Aloveen conditioner afterwards. The vet wants me to wash Diesel twice a week :eek: I am not able to wash him that often though.

k, so yesterday i used half a household sponge with 5mL of malaseb in a small amount of water, along with a wee bit of malaseb in my hands a few times and on the sponge and it was sooo much better than the last time using just my hands :)

she is smelling less yeasty but there is still an occasional hint of it so i'm upping the frequency of baths...

i am also mindful that it could be diet and i am addressing that too

Its quite drying for the coat. And it doesn't have that nice "freshly washed dog" smell after :laugh:

i know right?!?! it's almost like a wet doggy smell, only dry!!!

So I use a leave in conditioner after.

i'm using pyohex [a leave-in lotion] that assists and prolongs effectiveness --- i'm reluctant to add anything else...

I haven't bathed Mindy in ages though :o Now that its summer, we have been going to the beach a lot and interestingly I have found the salt water either helps her skin, or doesn't irritate it at all as she's actually gotten less itchy now :thumbsup:

So I have very little need to bathe her now as she usually gets pretty clean in the sea, which is a great bonus ...

i sooooo wish i lived closer to the beach --- the best i can do is canada bay and that's rare. i'll reconsider our [human] routine...

...trying to shove a nearly 30kg labrador into a bath and then keep her there is not a fun experience.

petal, i do not envy you in that respect...

Whenever I used Malaseb long term I've finished off with Aloveen Leave In Conditioner

thanks for the tip :) --- i don't have any dryness issues and doG knows i have a truckload of aloveen conditioner and that i've grown to loathe the bahluddy smell of it HOWEVER i will use it should it become necessary...

Skruffy n Flea, I just squirted a good amount in a shallow-ish bowl of water and mixed it around a bit, I didn't use any sort of ratio :o But I left him in there for fifteen minutes and rinsed them afterwards.

thanks for that reply :) and thanks for letting me know that a 15-minute soak is also okay.

If you're gonna soak your dog's feet though, make sure you wash the back ones thoroughly too, I put him in the sink and washed his front feet and I forgot that he had back feet and they were getting wet so he trailed dirt/mud over the carpet and made sure he did zoomies for the next ten minutes.. quite gleefully too. :laugh: Little.. argh!

lolc9gq.gif oops, i really shouldn't laugh --- curiously, it's more likely i'll forget their front feet cuz it's their back feet to which they pay most attention!!! byron's just had the last half of his tenth [5mL] pred tablet [since 9/12] for a bacterial condition that plagued his back feet ... poor wee bugger :( they were quite a mess!

i always mix it with water first as otherwise it is hard to spread through a GSD coat! Don't measure how much though. I also use Aloveen conditioner afterwards. The vet wants me to wash Diesel twice a week :eek: I am not able to wash him that often though.

yup, i'm thinking i need to 'up' the number for at least bella --- i bathed them both yesterday [2nd time in 10 days] and even after completely drying her, bella was straight away scratching and biting and munching :( byron is still riding [today completed] the high that is prednisolone :)

We mix with water in a squeezy bottle (eg old sauce bottle) just a good slosh, not measured. It does foam and go through coat easier this way, do it with any shampoo we use.

that's a great tip!!! i can use that instead of the container of water :D --- or i can use both! hapf6fm.gif

thanks everyone for the replies, excellent tips and advice --- i know i'll get this licked soon :)