Twilight Shows - Would You Attend ? Victorian Poll

SwaY

Twilight Shows  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Twilight Shows - Would you attend more if they were offered?

• Yes at KCC Park ONLY
    • Yes at Bulla ONLY
    • Yes at BOTH
    • N/A
  2. 2. What nights would you attend?

• Friday nights ONLY
    • Saturday nights ONLY
    • Sunday nights ONLY
    • ALL Three
    • Friday / Saturday nights
    • Saturday / Sunday nights
    • N/A
  3. 3. AT what Temperature would you like to see a show cancelled?

• 30°C - 35°C
    • 36°C
    • 37°C
    • 38°C
    • 39°C
    • 40°C
    • 41°C +
    • I would rather them move the time when it's hot
    • I don't want shows cancelled
    • N/A

We attended a show near Perth that started at 6.30pm on NYE, towards the end of a heat wave. While the ambient temp' was still warm, the grass provided a cool platform, and a stunning sunset then (thankfully distant) lightning storm provided the backdrop! I would definitely recommend other States/Territories commandeer this (night shows) approach to showing over the summer months, if they don't already.

Edited by kosmology

i work in electrical wholesale & can confirm the flood lights would cost at the absolute maximum $1200.00 each & the poles $800.00 plus the wiring costs so who is doing the $130.000 costings??? seems very excessive!!! may be it should be put out for tender to get a gauge on the actual cost & not just pluck one.

i work in electrical wholesale & can confirm the flood lights would cost at the absolute maximum $1200.00 each & the poles $800.00 plus the wiring costs so who is doing the $130.000 costings??? seems very excessive!!! may be it should be put out for tender to get a gauge on the actual cost & not just pluck one.

I would say the cost given is more correct than yours ,i now what it cost to get the lights up here & that was tendered & if it was that cheap every oval in Australia would have them

I think you should contact Dogs Vic and put in a tender then, as that is very cheap.

I imagine there is a fair bit more that would be involved in the cost labour, permits, digging, new power boxes etc

If it was that cheap I imagine that all the local ovals would have them.

Pity the lights can't be erected for the price you have quoted, but there is a lot more too it than just putting up light towers, correct lighting of ovals is an expert field, there is also the light "levels"( sorry don't know the correct term) that have to be taken into consideration so no shadows are cast etc, the actual quote was for $150,000.00 and a lot of work had gone in by the firm giving that quote, and yes D/V have requested and received other quotes., so it was not just a "plucked one".

Edited by Julie R

I love twilight shows! :thumbsup: I have attended them in Perth and Darwin and we should have many more in Victoria in the warmer months. The atmosphere is fantastic, the dogs love it, and you have all day at home to get things done. Friday night shows would have to have a later start for those of us that work full time. Saturday would be great and Sunday would be hard for those working on Monday. Although, I would rather a twilight on Sunday that showing in the heat during the day.

Picking a temperature that is too hot to show is too hard because there are so many opinions as to what the temperature is. What do you rely on - News, weather aps, readings at the venue (surface/air)too many variables. How would everyone be informed? When would the decision be made? If it is 40+ during the day do you cancel the night show? I selected change the show time because of all of these reasons.

I have done the start early on a very hot day & compared to a night show night shows wins hands .i had a dog that was shown in the warmer part but when group was on it was lovely.

I agree completely! I have a breed which is often first in the ring here. But I would still prefer to go in when it is slightly warmer for breed judging than have it hotter for Group judging when you stand in the sun for a much longer time.

I like the early start option because the show is over before the heat really kicks in and we can all be home in the cool by lunchtime. I do realise that is not the case for people who have to travel for hours so there is no one situation to suit all.

I love twilight shows! :thumbsup: I have attended them in Perth and Darwin and we should have many more in Victoria in the warmer months. The atmosphere is fantastic, the dogs love it, and you have all day at home to get things done. Friday night shows would have to have a later start for those of us that work full time. Saturday would be great and Sunday would be hard for those working on Monday. Although, I would rather a twilight on Sunday that showing in the heat during the day.

only if you live close to the venue

I won't vote because im north of the border. But although twilight shows seem like a great idea, i have attended a few of them and found the following problems. One, if you don't live close to the showground, (like we don't, we live an hour and a half away) a show that starts at 5 or 6 pm means that we don't get back from Sydney until 1:30am, 2:00am most times. Secondly, when its not a beautiful night it can be freezing. Last week we had a twilight show at Erskine Park and we were all bundled up in jackets, freezing, waiting for our turn. While i can understand the benefits (when it is hot, a night show is alot cooler than standing around during the day) it is only really beneficial for the people that live close to the show grounds, and once again the people away from the main showgrounds not only miss out on a show, if they do go it will be early hours of the morning before they return home. I think a heat policy should be developed, but as I understood it, there already is one (Im not sure but i have seen notices like: if the temp on the ABC weather report is more than 38 show will start earlier) and i think that's a better way to do it. You will probably all yell at me, but then again you all probably live fairly close (within an hour or two) of one of the showgrounds. When its any further it really restricts the country people who want to get home hopefully while its still dark

I have seen this discussion in other forums, and i have noticed that alot of the people that have been showing for 30 years or more, have always shown in the heat and have had ways of managing thier dogs on hot days. I also like the early starts because then your home at a reasonable hour.