Do Pounds Contact Microchiped Dogs Owners ?

Kadbury

I have just had a Jaw dropping moment with a Local Pound. Was checking up on a small dog Listed and had contacted the Breed Rescue. I called in at the Pound this morning and put a Rescue hold on the dog. Rescue Lady then rang as it showed that the dog was chipped, "NO WE DON'T MAKE CONTACT WITH CHIPPED DOGS OWNERS" it is up to the owner to contact us......................

This pound has a Beagle, Blood Hound 3 Cavaliers and many more who are also chipped.

I was always of the impression that the Microchip was a Safety Net for Animals who may become Lost, Stolen or Injured.

What the hell is the point of the chip then? and it is clearly not the case at all pounds as I am aware of several breeders that have been contacted over purebreeds that ended in the pound because the owners had failed (thank goodness as it turned out) to change the details on the chip.

So who said they weren't contacting the owner? The pound? Or the Rescue lady?

Pounds certainly do contact owners of microchipped dogs, why wouldn't they?

It was the Pound who made the statement.....

No that isn't correct, I don't know why they would say that. :confused:

When a dog is scanned for a chip the details on the chip are used to contact the owner. I worked at a pound for 3 years and not once did we decide not to call the owners, that's madness.

I think maybe the person you spoke to doesn't have a clue.

So who said they weren't contacting the owner? The pound? Or the Rescue lady?

Pounds certainly do contact owners of microchipped dogs, why wouldn't they?

It was the Pound who made the statement.....

No that isn't correct, I don't know why they would say that. :confused:

When a dog is scanned for a chip the details on the chip are used to contact the owner. I worked at a pound for 3 years and not once did we decide not to call the owners, that's madness.

I think maybe the person you spoke to doesn't have a clue.

I think that some pounds do, some pounds don't. I don't think our pound used to but they seem to have picked up their game. I always take a found dog to my local vet first to check for a chip before calling the pound, they are really lovely about it (they also do cat rescue)

Dogs listed on this site have chip numbers displayed, but unless your registered with CAR's you have no access to the details of the owners.

I have had dealings with this Pound in the past (Rescue) the Staff are Fantastic Caring and dogs are kept in clean kennels etc. So I wonder if it it a Local Laws thing that they are following :confused:

This is very bizarre, I have NEVER heard of a pound just not calling owners??!

If the dog was seized that may be different but a stray? Never heard of it. :confused:

Even if chip details don't show up due to privacy you can retrieve them by calling the database they are on.

Just spoken to CAR and the lady said she feels it is against the Law in Vic not to contact owners.

I will do a bit more investigating.

I thought they legally had to contact the owners (unfortunately a lot of owners forget to update details when need be)

In NSW, the Guideline on the Exercise of Functions under the Companion Animals Act states:

When a seized or lost animal is delivered to approved premises or a council pound, the person in charge must do their best to find out who the owner of the animal is and return the animal to that person. To help do this, they may access information on the Register or other private registers or check any identification on the animal.

and

If enquiries fail to establish the owner of the seized or lost animal or the animal’s microchip is not listed on the Register, arrangements should be made to relocate the animal to the council pound or shelter – whether or not the 72 hour period has expired.

Surrendered animals are those that have come into the possession of a council pound, but have not been seized under authority of the Act. This may include animals that have been given up to the pound by their owners, or lost or injured animals that have been ‘rescued’ by a member of the public.

Refererence:

http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/dlg/dlghome/documents/Forms/Guideline%20on%20the%20Exercise%20of%20Functions%20under%20the%20CAA%20-%20Dec%202011.pdf

There seems to be very clear distinctions between a surrendered animal- i.e. surrendered by it's owner, a siezed animal (could be siexed by a memebr of the public) and lost animals.

It was very easy to find the NSW document, the OP should try and find the relevent act for Victoria. Each Council would have to have a procedure/policy document for how they process lost animals. It should be available under Freedom of Information.

Note: I have added the bold to emphasise the focus of the discussion- ie: lost animals who have chips

Great we have people following this up.

What if some pounds just don't do it event is required.....how would we know? Who regulates this?

I would suppose that if a caring person worked at the pound they could anonymously let someone who could do something about it know rules were not being followed.

I suppose that if we microchip our dogs we give them the best chance of coming home.

Now that many dogs are required by law to be chipped before registered or sold, there is no law that requires people to keep their chip info updated - so there is only so much we can do. I wish we could get more education out there...TV ads on responsible dog ownership, on how to update your animals microchip, how to help a found pet...etc

I work in a shelter, we do not have a pound license so we can not hold strays.

If strays come into us, we ALWAYS scan for a microchip, get the owners details and let them know that we are passing their dog/cat onto the appropriate pound.

We also always hand a copy of the microchip details to the pound ranger who collects the dog.

Every pound (I hate that word) I have ever worked in generally go the extra mile to rehome dogs. At least one I know of scans dogs and cats at least 3 times in 24 hours if a chip is not found on the first. Some even have a category for dogs that is 'chipped but owner not known'. They will check all databases and call Dogs NSW if to see if the dog is on the DLG if it is not anywhere else. I would say the bigger problem is owners who have not updated their details or new owners who have not even put the dog in their name!! Just because one pound doesn't do it please don't tar the hard working, animal loving guys and gals in others with the same brush!!

Every pound (I hate that word) I have ever worked in generally go the extra mile to rehome dogs. At least one I know of scans dogs and cats at least 3 times in 24 hours if a chip is not found on the first. Some even have a category for dogs that is 'chipped but owner not known'. They will check all databases and call Dogs NSW if to see if the dog is on the DLG if it is not anywhere else. I would say the bigger problem is owners who have not updated their details or new owners who have not even put the dog in their name!! Just because one pound doesn't do it please don't tar the hard working, animal loving guys and gals in others with the same brush!!

I agree with hating the word POUND and I agree with your comments "Just because one pound doesn't do it please don't tar the hard working, animal loving guys and gals in others with the same brush!!

The staff at this facility Love dogs and cats and it is the cleanest facility I have ever visited.....but this thing with the Chips has to be followed up and sorted. I hope to have some more news tomorrow and hope to put a Happy end to this Topic....cheers

The Domestic Animals Act and Regulations require that all dogs entering a shelter or pound must be scanned for a microchip within three days. The Regulations stipulate the method for scanning. Any dog that is to be rehomed must be microchipped, it is an offence to microchip a dog that is already microchipped and that if an existing microchip is found they must notify the registry.

So by law they must scan the dog for a microchip and notify the owner. Specific sections are 63J of the Act and 20 of the Regulations.

It is true that owners are responsible for notifying the registry of any change of contact details. This year I received an email from the National Pet Register reminding me to notify them of any change of details.

I hope this problem is resolved or was just a misunderstanding (the Registry has to notify the owner unless they have given previous consent) as I always thought shelters and pounds had a moral obligation to reunite dogs with their owners not sell them off.