Endurance Test 2012

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really wanting to get the lowchen fit enough to do ET but she has No obedience and I ain't got a bike..

What's the deal with running and what are the dates for syd so I can start preparing ourselves

And how old do the dogs have to be as we have a lakie who is nearly 6 months who'd go great guns at this lol

Hi,

I believe that Sydney ET is in early August. Contact DogsNSW for exact details.

Dogs must be a minimum of 2 years old to compete.

M

I did my first bike ride with my younger girl today no training what so ever and she was a dream we did 5k it was semi warm but she kept at a lvely constant speed adn beside the back bike tyre/my knee the whole time. very happy with her. doubt she'll be ready for the june et but i am still working on her mother :)

Thanks, but do you know the limits they use for vetting out (ie max heart rate etc?).

And is this done a set time after each leg - eg do the dogs get 10 rest first?

I'm sure Abbiestar will be back in at some stage with a judge's perspective - mine is just a competitor's knowledge - 3 ETs on 3 dogs (had a helper).

Yes they do check pads - dogs can be outed for damaged pads, hence the importance of training on different surfaces and different conditions to harden up pads - gradually.

I don't believe there is any sort of numerical standard for heartrate - you have to have a vet check completed with your own vet before hand, and send the certificate in (2 weeks before, I think). That gives the vet on duty an idea of the dog's resting heart rate, and they work from that. If in doubt, with h/r or temp, they might give the dog another check at the end of the break before ruling it out.

The time within the break is random - depends on the number of competing dogs, the speed of the checking team, how well people line up etc. etc.

As I understand it, the vet is checking to make sure the dog is not showing signs of distress. Some h/r actually go down, others stay about the same. My BC girl has 'white coat phobia' so her resting h/r according to her pre-test certificate was 140 :eek: . At the last check, she had her head turned away from the vet - I was holding the dog - and then all of a sudden turned her head and noticed the vet, who laughed as the h/r shot right up. She was a really nice vet - said "And I deliberately didn't wear mny white coat" :D

Great. It would be good to get some more details though.

Thanks

You could try sending Abbiestar a PM. The Rules hereare not specific as to particular temperatures, heart rates etc - I'd guess deliberately so to allow for individual variations among dogs.

I'm really wanting to get the lowchen fit enough to do ET but she has No obedience and I ain't got a bike..

What's the deal with running and what are the dates for syd so I can start preparing ourselves

And how old do the dogs have to be as we have a lakie who is nearly 6 months who'd go great guns at this lol

Hi,

I believe that Sydney ET is in early August. Contact DogsNSW for exact details.

Dogs must be a minimum of 2 years old to compete.

M

12 August :)

Thanks

Hi All,

I am back! Have had quite a few non-dog related issues to tend to! :))

Heart rates vary between dog breeds and sizes. There is no numerical rule of thumb to follow. As a judge, I rely a lot on the vet team that assess each dog for it's heart rate, pad condition, temperature and general well being.

It is rare for a dog to be failed for poor health at a vet checking station with the exception of pad damage or cuts.

The timing of the vet checks is at each interval between the 8ks, 6 ks and final 6 Ks. The vet team move in really quickly and at random places in the lineup as they must check up to 20 dogs within a 15 minute rest break. It is luck of the draw as to whether you are vetted first or last, but generally this does not matter.

If your dog is in good health and has been reasonably prepared, you will pass.

M

Have just heard, the ET in Canberra will be held July 1.

Have been invited to judge, but unfortunately cannot accept this year. We will have puppies at the time.

Canberra puts on a great event, if you haven't been before, give it some thought.

They have a terrific course around the ACT showgrounds.

M

I was going to enter the Canberra ET but don't think we'll be ready by 1 July :(

You could be. How is your training coming along?

M

Not very well at all :p Difficult to find time and places to practice (dark once I get home from work). Excuses, I know.

OK thanks for that.

Cheers

Thanks

Hi All,

I am back! Have had quite a few non-dog related issues to tend to! :))

Heart rates vary between dog breeds and sizes. There is no numerical rule of thumb to follow. As a judge, I rely a lot on the vet team that assess each dog for it's heart rate, pad condition, temperature and general well being.

It is rare for a dog to be failed for poor health at a vet checking station with the exception of pad damage or cuts.

The timing of the vet checks is at each interval between the 8ks, 6 ks and final 6 Ks. The vet team move in really quickly and at random places in the lineup as they must check up to 20 dogs within a 15 minute rest break. It is luck of the draw as to whether you are vetted first or last, but generally this does not matter.

If your dog is in good health and has been reasonably prepared, you will pass.

M

i have a month to our et she runs 5k-7/8k comfortably beside the bike i need to up the distance some more... do you think this is enough time to get her ready

Plenty. You will be fine.

M

perhaps i should of written is it enough time for me to get ready rofl :D gonna try 10k tomorrow see if i can cope with it

So how did the competitors go at the HVCV :)

Our training I think is coming along ok, our Papillon, Malika is covering about 5k's at a speed of 10k's, hopefully she will be ready for the GSDV trial on the 23 June

Do you think she could do it M :confused:

So how did the competitors go at the HVCV :)

Our training I think is coming along ok, our Papillon, Malika is covering about 5k's at a speed of 10k's, hopefully she will be ready for the GSDV trial on the 23 June

Do you think she could do it M :confused:

Yes. quite sure of it. Build her up to 6 ks, and then 8. Remember there are rest periods between each leg of the run and dogs recover really quickly. if she can do the 8 k's, the rest will be a breeze.

M