Whelping Boxes

Cairo1

Hello All!

I am in the process of building my whelping box and wondered if I should paint it?

It's made of form ply and will have a piece of lino on the floor but I was thinking that it would be helpful to

wipe down the sides etc too when disinfecting. The puppies are due in about three weeks so if I did paint it

would that be a problem??

I am not sure I like the idea of pups (and the dam for that matter) breathing in paint fumes. Can anyone

suggest alternatives??

Thanks for you time

Cairo1 ;-)

We painted ours but used one of the safe paints - safe for baby's rooms etc. Painted it about 3 weeks before pups were due, left it in the shed for a week and then brought it inside about 10 days before pups arrived and had no issues with paint fumes. Made it very, very easy to wipe down after she leapt out of the box spraying blood everywhere after the first pup was born too :laugh: .

Most certainly, Melamine is what many kitchen doors are made of.

I have used my 3 Melamine box for 3 litters and it's still as good as new.

Bunnings has pre-cut sizes or wil cut to size for you.

Of the whelping boxes sold most are either Fiberglass or Melamine.

But will Melamine stand up to the amount of cleaning and disinfection required?? I have been pondering this in the last little while..................

Yes, kitchen grade does. My OH used to work for a kitchen company and brought home bits and pieces. End result I have a lovely whelphing box. All the metal trim and edging can be bought at hardware suppliers.

Thank you.

Yes will be using metal edging - we are in Bunnings almost daily so have seen it there and have that added tot he list. I am guessing the average Melamine you get from Bunnings is not the wet area stuff???

From memory it isn't blue which the we area stuff is - or it has blue through it anyway.

Maybe I just need to look closer :)

Thank you all for your responses!

Ok, I did get some odour free paint that is suitable for bathrooms ie it can withstand some moisture and I have been painting madly!

I also have some nice thick vinyl which I will be putting in the base. Just a tip for those that want to paint on a budget! K & D (like Bunnings)

has an area for paints that have been mistinted. These can be up to 50% cheaper!!! I wasn't too fussed about the color but ended up with a dove blue

which really wasn't too bad anyway. WIll post an image of said project upon completion!

Once again - thank you :thumbsup:

Cairo1