Desexing Retired Breeding Dogs

leopuppy04

<No problem showing a speyed bitch. You just don't mention it. Who is to know if she's speyed. I only support cheating regulations when the regulation is absurd. This on is absurd. >

Can't agree there SG! It can make a huge difference in coat in a coated breed.

My girls are all desexed once they have finished breeding. Bree is 5 1/2 and I am still trying to work out if she will have a second litter or be desexed.

You are so right Gretal you can pick a desexed Cavalier a mile away!

Edited by LizT

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have desexed bitches here when 'retired'. Made life so much easier (ours are in the house too). One would go through horrible mood swings in season and after desexing at age 7 was so much nicer to live with. Other on desexing around same age was found to have a rather abnormal spongy uterus so was glad I did it, though she showed no outward signs of issues. Again, so much easier to live with and meant less bitches coming into season (having one right in season at the moment and a screaming boy, the less we have to deal with that the better :crazy::drink: ). Still showed them in veterans sweepstakes classes after desexing, and there is always Neuter titles now too, so a whole new showing life after 'retirement' if you want! :thumbsup:

Have desexed bitches here when 'retired'. Made life so much easier (ours are in the house too). One would go through horrible mood swings in season and after desexing at age 7 was so much nicer to live with. Other on desexing around same age was found to have a rather abnormal spongy uterus so was glad I did it, though she showed no outward signs of issues. Again, so much easier to live with and meant less bitches coming into season (having one right in season at the moment and a screaming boy, the less we have to deal with that the better :crazy::drink: ). Still showed them in veterans sweepstakes classes after desexing, and there is always Neuter titles now too, so a whole new showing life after 'retirement' if you want! :thumbsup:

OM doG, if my family read this I am in sooo much trouble. :eek: I've been an absolute bi7ch today! :angeldevil:

I have not spayed any of my bitches yet. I have not had a single pyo in an older bitch in the 20 years I have been showing dogs.

The eldest bitch here at the moment is a tad shy of 14, and yes she still has cycles.

The main reason is that I put it off too long and then I decide they are too old for surgery. My girls dont tend to have their first litter until they are 5 years old.

I've had one dog castrated and it made him a much easier dog to live with. He was subsequently placed in a pet home.

Lizzy (Pug) only had 2 litters and she was spayed at 4 yo before she was rehomed.

Abby (Rottweiler) was spayed around 17mths old before she went to her new home with DOL member Chicken.

Piper (Rottweiler) spayed recently and has just turned 7yo - only had 2 litters, both em c sections.

Piper's spay was not an easy one, vet was stunned with the condition her uterus was in - said it was a mess, badly scarred and very thick - difficult spay. Had she been left entire she was at greater risk of health problems. She bounced back very well and I only wish I had her spayed sooner.

In future all dogs will be desexed once I know I won't be breeding with them - especially if they had a c section.

Edited by Andisa

Yeah that's what I'm thinking andisa. One of my girls had a c section for her first litter so I think if she needs another when we decide to breed with her again I will probably spry her- too much risk for me :o. The others... Who knows!

Tis annoying though when seasons clash with big events like the agility nationals! :laugh:

Males only get desexed for health reasons, and after Lewis having Suprelorin he is never getting desexed, he is much easier to train and get along with when he has his testosterone!

I'm like OSoSwift will not be desexing my male after his experience with the Suprelorin implant! :(

I am considering having my soon to be 8 year old bitch desexed next year after our Nationals which is every 3 years. Like others I worry about pyo. I am considering having ovariectomy instead of the ovariohysterectomy but need to look into this further.

Males only get desexed for health reasons, and after Lewis having Suprelorin he is never getting desexed, he is much easier to train and get along with when he has his testosterone!

I'm like OSoSwift will not be desexing my male after his experience with the Suprelorin implant! :(

I am considering having my soon to be 8 year old bitch desexed next year after our Nationals which is every 3 years. Like others I worry about pyo. I am considering having ovariectomy instead of the ovariohysterectomy but need to look into this further.

Sorry to go off topic but may I ask what it was that has made your each this conclusion please?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking andisa. One of my girls had a c section for her first litter so I think if she needs another when we decide to breed with her again I will probably spry her- too much risk for me :o. The others... Who knows!

Tis annoying though when seasons clash with big events like the agility nationals! :laugh:

leopuppy, I had my 3yo Rottweiler bitch a couple of weeks post weaning her promised litter with her breeder and slightly less than 4 weeks prior to competing in Vic Top Jumping Dog of the Year in 2002. She bounced back extremely well fron the litter and spey surgery. Mind you she was also extremely fit and healthy prior to the litter.

I am sure your dogs are all super fit and healthy, so I would be very confident of a speeding spey recovery.

Sorry to go off topic but may I ask what it was that has made your each this conclusion please?

Do you mean the regarding the Suprelorin implant?

Bob had the 12 month implant which lasted around 20-22 months.

He turned into a "old dog" to put it simply. He was quiet, lethargic, fat which less food didn't help! He suddenly developed dry eye and was drinking more water than normal. He was tested for various things but nothing abnormal showed up. Could be just coincidental but after the implant wore off and he returned to normal and his tear production is now fine.

You wouldn't imagine lack of testosterone could cause some of these problems but I have no other explanation.

My kelpie was sterilised after her jaw went undershot at 6 months. Not much point keeping her entire if she couldn't be shown :laugh:

My first Lappy was sterilised after reabsorbing pups (well except for the one she aborted at 8 weeks :( ) as she cycled every 4 months which was a PITA for agility/obedience and while she had her show title she wasn't going to do anything else major in the show ring. She was 4 years old when done.

Our other girl was sterilised at around 10 years as we were not going to show her any more. She had started silent heating which was a pain so she was speyed. The vets commented that her uterus was not in good shape and she was a pyo case waiting to happen.

Our older male (nearly 9yo) will be getting done ASAP for several reasons. First, he will not be shown again. Secondly, we are planning on getting a couple of new females and it would be nice to not have to try and keep them split :) Third, he has developed a lump on his scrotum and it is safer to get him desexed.

All our dogs stay with us as they are pets first and foremost :) The exception was a dog who had trouble fitting in and once his show career was over he was desexed and rehomed and now is a much happier dog :)

Do you mean the regarding the Suprelorin implant?

Bob had the 12 month implant which lasted around 20-22 months.

He turned into a "old dog" to put it simply. He was quiet, lethargic, fat which less food didn't help! He suddenly developed dry eye and was drinking more water than normal. He was tested for various things but nothing abnormal showed up. Could be just coincidental but after the implant wore off and he returned to normal and his tear production is now fine.

You wouldn't imagine lack of testosterone could cause some of these problems but I have no other explanation.

Yes sorry I did mean regarding the Suprelorin implant.

Very interesting and yes too much of a coincidence I would think!.

I have also used the 12 month implant and we are 17 months post implant and as yet his testicles while having increased in size to what they were are not back to normal. It is for this reason I am hoping my bitch has a long drawn out time between her last and this upcoming season so his fertility is hopefully back to normal. I am however not holding my breathe.

Anyone who is considering using I would recommend a 6 month one and expect it to lat 12 to 18 months. Then you will not be disappointed.

Sorry to go off topic. :o

Thanks everyone for your responses. Certainly much to think about.

It's a tough one as my 5 year old girl has only been shown sparingly since she titled, and yet she's a nice bitch and I'd like to keep showing her among the other sports that we do. But the seasons are a PITA when you are trying to plan your trial dates.

Methinks she may just get speyed after her final litter, but thats a little while off yet, so we shall see :)

I notice that most of your girls have finished their breeding by 7-8 - does that seem to be the fairly normal age for most?? (Kinta will be finished before then I think...)

I think the age depends on the breed and the individual bitch.

My Dobe bitch was definately past breeding by 5.

Yes, very much agree with Ososwift!

My Moo has her third and final litter on the ground (7.5 weeks) and she turns 8 years in a couple of weeks.

Due to one thing or another like missed frozen AI's, etc it has just worked out this way for her, even though we would prefer to have our bitches finished with reproduction much earlier. Having said that, she had a full blood workup and vet exam before this mating and runs around the yard like a flea so I wasn't worried about her age in this instance.

She hasn't had large litters and bounces back to show condition very quickly also :)

Asha was a bit over 8 years old when she had her last litter. It was an "oops" litter due to a silent heat but to a suitable dogs (previous mating resulted in only one pup which titled easily). She was allowed to have the litter on vet's advice and had the largest litter and the least complications than during her 3 previous litters!

Saying that she is now coming up to 11 years old and except for slight cataracts you would think she is still a puppy ;)

Edited by mirawee