Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

Sorry to hear about your class Megan, I think they really need to do something about it especially that room in regards to reactive dogs and stupid owners. You wouldn't need to do any more obedience classes now though which is good! If you want to continue you can get assessed to see what level you go into, I did that with my girl as I didn't want to deal with people letting their big dog rush into my girls space in the lower classes.

I am happy to have a word to someone about it if you don't want to?

That obedience session must have been so stressful for you both Megan. :( It's a real shame they didn't have a session with just the owners to go through club rules and what the vests mean and to give any dog wearing one a wide berth. They had something similar at the obedience school we were going to where they used bright pink leashes for dogs who needed space and everyone had it drummed in to them at the first session (no dogs present) that any dog with a pink leash was not to be approached under any circumstances unless the owner granted permission first. Even with regular dogs we were told to walk around them in an arc and give them space. I don't think people really understand how stressful it can be for the dog unless they have it explained to them, despite the fact that the vest should make the meaning pretty obvious. Don't beat yourself up about not leaving the class when you were in the room with Lucy. It can be hard to make that decision on the spot, especially if you're able to mostly keep your dog distracted while it's all happening. I'm sure you were just thinking it had to end soon and trying to stick it out because of the benefit for Lucy getting to do agility. It really is stupid to force a group of dogs in to such a small space though. If the information was something that just couldn't be delivered outside they should have had a separate session without dogs or asked people to bring a partner who could stay outside with your dog while you're inside.

The GSD owner sounds like an absolute moron. I swear people just don't think. I'm sure she felt confident her dog wouldn't get away from her and didn't give a seconds thought to how stressed she might make your dogs by going past in close quarters with a big dog thrashing around trying to attack them. Let alone what could have happened if the dog had gotten free. You handled that and the off leash dog beautifully but bloody hell, what a week!! :hug: As for the agility class at Croydon, surely it would have to be a prerequisite that dogs have to be under effective control to be allowed off leash and not allowed to run up to and harass other dogs??? I can't believe someone who doesn't have control of her dog is allowed to continue going. :confused:

It sounds like you guys have had a rough week too Jules and Sheena. :(:hug:

I'm not sure I'm following chuckandsteve? Are you saying the people who own the pug that was trying to attack your boy are mistaking your dog for a rottweiler and telling people their dog was attacked by your dog??

Justice and I had our first group class for dogs with special needs this morning. There were only two other dogs today - a gorgeous bullmastiff who is scared of other dogs and loud noises but responds by trying to get space or disengage rather than acting out. I'm not sure what breed the other dog is but even as a puppy he's bigger than Justice. The puppy's a bit on the out of control side and lunges and barks at both dogs and people and set Justice off a couple of times but I was really happy to see Justice calm down and bounce back pretty quickly each time and on several occasions he was happy to turn away and disengage from the puppy, which is great progress. Saaba came on the group walk with us which helped keep all the dogs nice and calm most of the time but went back to his crate after the walk.

It was a really good session and as much as I wasn't wanting Justice to be in a group with a dog that barks and lunges, I think it will probably work out okay, as this particular dog isn't as threatening as a full grown adult acting like that toward Justice, and it means he has a dog that will challenge him and make him work on alternative behaviours that are more appropriate than his reactive behaviours. We're going to try and work without the Thundershirt as he got pretty hot on the walk today wearing it and it will only get worse as summer arrives. We're going to try the DAP spray on a bandanna and if it works, use it on his cooling bandanna in the hotter weather so that wearing a bandanna doesn't start to overheat him either. I'm giving it a trial run on our walk tomorrow so here's hoping it works and Justice doesn't feel the need to try and rip my arm out of its socket for the whole walk (which is one of his stress reactions when he doesn't have the Thundershirt on)!

Hi snook. We've found the adaptil collars to be good. The best thing is that they last a month and stay on the dog all the time. There is knack to making sure they are tight enough though. I thought it didn't work until vet behaviourist told me it was just too loose....tightened it up and relaxation was instant!

I will have to catch up on this thread as I have been away camping. Just caught the Adaptil thing & I have tried the spray & collar but it made no difference to my girl. Had to give it a try though. The Thunder Shirt has been really great though.

I will have to catch up on this thread as I have been away camping. Just caught the Adaptil thing & I have tried the spray & collar but it made no difference to my girl. Had to give it a try though. The Thunder Shirt has been really great though.

Did you have the collar on high up behind the ears and very, very tight, so tight it might seem too tight? You should only be able to slip one finger under it. This was my original mistake. We are on our third one now and I notice the difference immediately....I also noticed that they start to lose their potency towards the end of life.

I have tried adaptil collar but it was right when I first got jake so I couldn't really tell if it changed his behaviour, now I know him better I might try one again. We have had a little success, we have been training the behavioral interrupter (details available free on k9 pro website) and it works really well if I get in quick whilst he is still thinking. It's super easy to train, only took 2 sessions and about 3 chicken breasts and well worth the effort. Last week I managed to call him away from a very playful, off leash Newfoundland and saved me from what could have been a disaster. It's so ingrained with him last night my husband accidentally used the same sound to call our cockatiel, Jake was fast asleep, snoring next to me on the couch, before he was properly awake he was off the couch stumbling to my very surprised hubby????

Edited by hankdog

Sorry yes that's what I meant, I just read the article and saw that Steve uses it, but I was wondering if it would be loud enough? I might start with something that's a bit louder.

you can make it anything you want - a word etc. All you have to do is condition your dog to it.

I can't make a loud enough kiss sound plus I feel a bit self conscious wandering around puckering up... someone might get the wrong idea????. I make a clicking sound sort of in the side of my cheek it can be anything but something you don't normally use in conversation.

Hi Snook! Yay for finding out DAP and a thundershirt work with Justice. Unfortunately, I've found neither work with Asti... my next trick is to read the click to calm book I bought yesterday and use raw meat on our daily walks. On a positive note, over 4 weeks we moved from sitting at the edge of a clicks and tricks dog training class to sitting at the back (which happened to be beside a crazy overexcited boxer), and Asti mostly maintained calm which is more than I could have asked and she could think enough to be able to perform some tricks when asked.

I've also been doing the behavioural interrupter :)

Hi all,

Well I haven't read up on the whole thread because you've managed to get it to 31 pages!!!!

I just wanted to add my words of encouragement!

As some of you would know my Kenzie is reactive, well now in some circumstances I can say "was" reactive!!! So I just wanted to say keep sharing ideas and be persistent with your training, it will work in time. Over the last little bit I've noticed a massive change in myself... It used to be when I would walk Kenz we would have issues and I'd come home and feel like crying because it was so frustrating and I didn't know why she was as she was and I just wanted to have a nice calm walk with her. Well now we're at a point where we get home from a walk and I nearly burst in to tears of pride, because she walked past the dog barking behind a gate and just looked at the bus and when the stranger walked towards us in the dark she just darted behind me and let them go past with no incident!!! It's really nice to want to burst in to tears for these reasons!!

So keep up all your good work and figure out what works for your dog and don't forget that sometimes they do take a step backwards before taking the leap forwards. And in the end it will be so worthwhile!! This will be a very useful thread for many many people!

Woa that many pages, I think I might have done a fair bit!! So little jake has been doing his homework and reading about how to be a properly reactive dog and the other day I managed to get him past a dog with throwing treats on the floor. I'm really happy but now I've decided that I want to try spray cheese as a distractor. I'm hoping that the noise of the spray and the fuss of having to lick cheese plus it's not something he would regularly get will make it really exciting but I looked at the supermarket and the closest I could find was spray cream. Has anyone bought spray cheese, where did you get it and what was it called please?

Thanks PME for your supportive post regarding all of us who have reactive dogs. We all do our very best for them & it is an uphill battle, extremely frustrating at times & full of set backs it seems.

Then you make some progress & your faith is restored that you are going to make it with your beloved BF.

This thread has been a real godsend for me & I have learnt so much from others with similar problems. Everyone has been so supportive, when you feel like "why is this happening to us",

when I am trying so hard on many levels & nothing is working.

Quick update regarding Stella. She has been on anxiety medication for almost a month now & I am so pleased with her progress. She is so much more at ease & a lot less tormented during the day in our backyard

where she was at her worst. She used to run & whine in a trance like state pretty much all day as soon as she heard the slightest noise. Now after we return from our walk in the morning she actually lays down & even has a nap

sometimes. I have shed a few happy tears for her of late cause I could only imagine how much better she must be feeling to be a little more comfortable in her own skin & yet she isn't like a zoombie either. Which was one of my

main concerns about giving her meds, I didn't want her to be in a medicated haze but to my surprise she is still her very alert self. The only negitive thought I have is I should have sort chemical help for her sooner :)

Just had to edit to add that since Stella has been on meds she is slightly improved on walks in situations that would normally send her off, she is a little less reactive at times anyway. I think even before you we head off on

our daily walk it has got to be a bonus to do so in a slightly calmer state of mind.

Edited by BC Crazy

Very proud of the girls today. Took for a walk in an offlead spot. It is massive area so pretty easy to keep away from other people. I was doing a bit of change of direction to keep away from an offlead Husky. The husky saw my guys and ended up crossing nearly 2 football fields to see us. The girls just sat and let it sniff them. Owner had no control at all and didn't hurry to come and get it. I walked further away to see if it would go back. Nope. I ended up walking them all back close to her. My little angels heeled along offlead with this husky sniffing at them. When we were close enough she finally got her dog back.

So grrr for stupid owners but big pats for my dogs. They knew they had done good too!