Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

Oh, I totally agree about all "friendly dog owners" having to manage a reactive dog so that they gain some insight into the damage that non controlled encounters can do. Similar to those going for their car licence spending time in trucks to gain an appreciation of the stopping distance.

That being said, I do believe that reactive dogs provide us with a much better understanding of dogs and their behaviour, and I am certain that we have a much stronger bond with them as a result, than if we owned much easier, cruisier dogs. I think that our achievements, no matter how small, have greater significance to us due to our starting point.

So, a huge congratulations to all owners of difficult dogs. Your achievements are amazing. :thumbsup:

PS good luck with the increased dose of Paroxetine. May Justice be a little more zen with the world, so that he can enjoy it's wonder.

Edited by grumpette

I'm so glad! He just needs a bit more time to recover than an unaffected dog but he seems to be bouncing back a bit more each time! Go Justice!

And I agree, I think the crash course you get in dog behaviour and all the extra steps you have to take, make for a much closer bond than the average owner who doesn't need to. Maybe because you notice the faults and work harder to strengthen and build the trust?

It certainly seems to me, across all the species I've had, it's the ones who have needed a bit of extra work or help for whatever reason that mostly hold a special place. A couple of exceptions of course, lol.

We are having some nights in, my car is in the shop and with longer days more ppl walking dogs offlead locally. Sticking to backyard games.

Awesome work Snook. Kenz got attacked nearly a month ago and had some quite significant soft tissue damage to her shoulder. Despite going fairly frequently to the place she got attacked and letting Lira chase her ball and Kenz watching her, she is still constantly on guard and not happy. Sigh.

Alert pretty much everywhere :(. Hoping things improve. The physio saw her a few days after the attack and she was the worst she had ever seen her :(. Was suppose to be giving her a few weeks of quiet time and she is still only marginally improved despite meds and more meds :(. Added some new stuff in last week to see if that improve things.

Other dog was reported to council - it had history and they were looking to put a notice on it but I haven't heard anything more from the council since they took the statement :mad.

At least Lira seems to have come off unaffected to much degree. A bit of an increase in barking when she sees another dog in the distance but mostly normal for her and will play games with other dogs around whereas Kenz shuts down completely.

Edited by ness

Woo hoo. Go Justice and Snook. Absolutely brilliant news. Justice is becoming more and more resilient. I am thrilled for you both.

Oh Ness, how awful for you and Kenz. So not what the both of you needed. I totally understand your devastation. It will take a lot of time and patience to get over the hyper vigilance, but you will get there. It took lots of treats and constant watching and a huge respect for her critical distance to get Dee to relax again on our walks. It also helped to go to areas that had a little chance of off leash dogs being around. I wish you lots of success and I am rapt that Lira does not appear affected.

Nope certainly not what we needed I couldn't believe the physio when she said she was the worst Kenz has been in all of her time she has been seeing her which is about 4 years now :(. Heart breaking really. She has definitely picked up a little at home so hoping the drugs will continue to help and its been sufficient time for the acute injuries to have started to resolve so hoping the physio can make some progress this week with her. Sigh my never ending money sink hole :cry:.

No idea what is going on. This morning we went to the beach - she would charge at any dog who came within 2 meters of her. Showing her teeth and being super defensive and wasn't interested in swimming at all. Its so unlike her :(.

Could you bring in a behaviourist to witness first hand and assess what's going on/beginning steps? I found mine a major source in comfort and understanding the time needed for the pup :(

She still gets on with your other dogs? Perhaps a test run on lead with a friends leashed dog - you can see at what point she becomes alert/tense/over threshold and you can plan your next steps? Snook is great at explaining LAT :o

Behaviorist costs to much money :(. Her tolerance to Lira is low at the moment but its more like a I am sore, give me space type tolerance. She has gone at Lira a few times over things in the last few days but Lira has backed off and read her appropriately. She met a friends dog last Monday and was fine with that one as we caught up for some training but then that was a BC and it was a boy and she has always had a higher tolerance of boys anyway.

If anything she is worse in the last few days then she was previously and not sure if its somehow related to the gabapentin which we have added.

We only beach mid week since there are less dogs. I haven't gone on a weekend since she was attacked. Its just hard as she can't do much else in the way of exercise when its even remotely warm (because of the BCC she has). Physio and vet have both said walking in shallow water is ok. She was fine last week with other dogs being around which makes me think its because of the meds.

Totally frustrating :(.

My gate got damaged in monday's wind storm, but I didn't know, and Thistle got out tonight D: Thankfully the people across the road were going out to dinner and they herded her into the front yard and knocked on my door.

I've done a bunnings runner and padlocked the gate shut now (looks like the latch got broken, I can't find the latch??)

My concern is, is she going to get wanderlust from this? Or get the confidence to try and get out of the yard? :confused:

The foster carers had her get out a few times but she "never strayed and hung around the front" - however my neighbours say she was on the road in front of my house! Which very quickly turns into a highway. Not to mention all the front yard dogs and feral cats she might chase and get lost...

Fretting a bit :C

No harm done to Thistle, she was a bit worried about being herded into the corner, the guy was keeping her cornered there while the lady knocked on my door. But she's not harmed and they didn't chase or try to grab her so no social setbacks. The best outcome :(

I really wish I had the $ to get the front yard gate reattached so I have a double gate system with the back and front :s even though she's primarily indoor, i let her go out back on nice days to roll around and chew her bones.

Such a small thing could lead to a dire situation! :(

Edited by Thistle the dog

Arrgh how scary!

Dozer used to go on adventures with Lucy when she'd break out, but now he's by himself he has no interest in leaving the house.

He'll even just stand at the front door while it's opened and closed and won't put a paw out, but when one of the boys left the gate open he went for a quick run over the street.

He still has no interest in going anywhere now even after his little adventure.

I hope Thistle shows no interest, Talie/Snook. I didn't even know she was out! D: I've done another round of my fences and I'm feeling a bit paranoid now, about the older railing fence up the back. But the gate that got blown open is pretty solidly shut now. I hope her being herded by strangers gave her a fright.

Dear dog, DONT LEAVE THE BACKYARD YOU WILL GET SQUISHED OR LOST AND I WILL BE VERY UPSET.

Aww, that's pretty considerate of the officers. And good to get confirmation that nobody was harmed recently. How is Justice?

Edited by Thistle the dog

How scary with Thistle - lucky everything worked out ok.

Kenz had another appointment with the physio yesterday and its not really good at all :(. Still mega sore. She asked whether the staffie happened to get a front paw in his mouth as it would explain some of the damage to her leg. Not sure now I can't honestly remember it all happened so quickly. Either way she is not doing to well at all. Still haven't heard anything from council either but not like it changes anything so I am loathed to follow up. I am just mega grumpy at having a very sore Kenz.

I'm sad to hear she's still so sore after all this time. Is she getting any pain relief? I know you're meant to get them out and about seeing other dogs as soon as you can (so i've been told?? not necessarily interacting) but I don't know how willing a pup in pain would be :/

wish i could give some useful advice! hang in there kenz!

Yep lots of drugs going into her - not making a noticeable difference unfortunately :(. I don't tend to let my interact with other dogs unless they are friends dogs. We don't go to beach to be social but more because they like to go swimming and its cheaper then paying out for the dog pool.

Hey Snook,

If you don't mind a drive and you get tide times right there are some good beaches out North. Need to go close to high tide or a little after otherwise you find there is not much water but mostly they are deserted. Possibly not on the weekend/super hot days (although we have done weekends and hot days and not a single soul) but certainly mid week we have been out with a group of dogs and the only other dogs there are those that were in the group.

Sent video of Kenz to her physio last night and she definitely things its wrist which is causing the problem and that being the case we are fast running out of alternatives to improve her situation given she is not responding to the meds. :cry:

Edited by ness