Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

That's a useful link, it's got some variations I haven't thought to try! I think maybe her name is the closest word to the cue I have, I've been slacking on reinforcing it and it shows. :doh:

In other news, wish us luck! We're going to the williamstown beach tomorrow in the hope no-one will be around because of the New Year (we did this last year and saw one dog at a distance).

I'm going to keep the car nearby with doors open, dunno about Thistle but *I'm* not ready for the adrenaline racing of meeting offlead strange dogs, even with Cookie's hopefully good influence. Her In The Car command is, if anything, better than her recall. Maybe cause it's the only command she knew when I got her?

(I'm waiting for the other shoo to drop, the next step backwards etc)

ANYWAY I want to wish this whole thread a happy new year and good luck for the coming one! You've been so helpful in the support and idea for getting this little girl to progress (and me!) and I hope we keep going forward. Thanks all!

:party::grouphug:

So many wins today, I'm dead! We went to the rocky ?dog? area down near williamstown at 6am for the sunrise then moved up to the sandy beach bit.

Two dogs run into bush (Cookie and Thistle) FOUR DOGS RUN OUT! I was :eek: but yeah it was all loose-behaviour dogs so I told myself to calm the f*** down and just keep an eye on her. She was pretty excited but not worried, the only concern when she got a little standoffish with an equally standoffish old terrier mix but both owner and I moved in and redirected them away.

Quite a lot more dogs than last year (ONE) so I think I've pushed my luck a bit and feeling stupid for letting it go as long as it did. But she did really well!

I looked at my list and in all she met 10 strange dogs (most were nose boops, butt sniffs and continue walk. she only played with 3 dogs we met)

- saw another 5 or so (I recalled her from bothering any younger dogs, puppies or very old),

-1 dog she wanted to say hello to but the owners clearly didn't (nothing of note happened, I think they may have had a bad experience in the past and freaked out whenever Thistle or Cookie (the kelpie/lab) looked in their direction so we apologised for the bother and leashed the dogs until they went somewhere else but I feel bad that they felt that way cause i know how it feels)

- and 1 dog Thistle took one look at and went back to our stuff and dropped there while I came over (go away vibes??)

She also went in the ocean for the first time and swam out with me but got worried when her feet left the sand :o

I think I pushed her a lot so I'm very glad it didn't backfire and she got some valuable experience out of it. I think because she knew Cookie, she followed Cookie's lead most of the time. Not something I'll do again anytime soon though, but I am glad she met a variety of dogs of various sizes and nothing bad happened. I think I needed it just as much. :o

But I think I really pushed my luck so we'll keep it calm the rest of this month, pre approved known dogs only... I'm meant to be taking this slowly! *scolds self*

Happy New Year all! I hope this year brings calmness, safety and happiness to all your dogs and yourself!

Edit forgot to say! I'm ecstatic because some of the dogs were offlead when we were on lead! She got a little excited but the greetings themselves were good. We need to work on calm I think

Edited by Thistle the dog

Go thistle! That's a great outcome!

Dozer has lost his fear of our little squirt bottle that we use to stop him from jumping on the glass doors and windows when he decides to hunt geckos and now enjoys playing bite the water.

I'm hoping that one day in the not so distant future he'll decide the hose is the same so we can have water fun days when it's hot.

He also recovered beautifully when OH used the grinder the other day! Came and sat on the couch with me, not sitting on me like he normally would with loud noises and no panting or whale eye!

For a very noise phobic dog he did so well!

:( That's exhausting! I wish I could wave my fingers and send some of our luck your way! At least he's not like he was on the meds? Bad as it is to see him so scared at sight of dog or voices :(

You're both amazing inspirations though! To keep on trying and getting every step forward

Oh snook. The hardest thing is that if everyone just obeyed the law and had some basic manners,fearful dogs could live much richer lives. Lucy was so easy to live with. Every walk was stressful though-not because of her (she walked perfectly on lead and wasn't reactive unless jumped on) - but because of every person who thought their soecial snowflake dog should be able to do whatever it wanted.

Just pondering Snook, and writing as I think, but even if this as good as it gets, and he can't get past being scared of other dogs, as long as you can continue as you are with the majority of his time his spent 1. Happy with you at home 2.on play dates Paxxie 3. Having free run zoomies and sniffs whenever you CAN find the chance 4. Going to places he enjoys like The Groomery; and whatever other incidental things you do that he enjoys

AND as long as he can recover once he is back in the car/back at home/somewhere he feels safe, then if he does spend some time feeling fearful of other dogs I don't think it's the end of the world, it's still a pretty good life for him for now. As you say, he is getting older and will increasingly slow down and need shorter periods of stimulation and energetic exercise as he gets older, so unless he deteriorates again (and I know he may unfortunately) I think you and he are doing ok :) And there's still every chance that he improves further.

I was just thinking about it in the context of my Riley, who as I've mentioned before has some reactivity issues because he is in general fearful of other dogs (and humans and random things). I've been lucky that he was never too severe and that he has come a long way, and is fairly confident now, he isn't scared of small dogs and dogs he has gotten to know and doesn't feel threatened by, and he can be around other dogs that do worry him if there is a bit of distance, but I still see him looking very worried when certain dogs sniff him (which I try to avoid mostly but do let happen sometimes, because it happens when I don't mean it to sometimes and I want him to be prepared! I wouldn't do that in all cases of course, it's just that I believe Riley can handle it).

I think it's ok for them to feel uncomfortable or scared sometimes, as long as they can recover and it is the minority of time. Of course it would be lovely if they only ever had positive experiences but that isn't the real world.

We took down the Christmas tree today which has allowed Dozer to get back to the front windows.. This is a bit of a problem spot because the roaming cats in the neighbourhood tend to wander through our front yard and Doze wants to go through the windows to get to them.

So as an interim solution we've covered the windows in cardboard until I remember to get really cool window film that thistle linked me to.

Now Dozer is wandering around the house sooking because he heard something outside and can't see what it is..

Sometimes I really wonder what is going on in his head.

I'm going to need more talie - she just stands up to look out the next but now XD damn roof to floor Windows. Thinking coloured ones for up top so I get nice lighting. Bunnings also sells them but so $$$ and boring patterns

But better than cardboard because don't think she realises there is a barrier!

Oh I so feel your pain regarding windows. Dee is an absolute shocker: cats, dogs, birds and people. Slowly we have replaced all lower windows with 6mm toughened glass, because she has gone through them. The first incident was 3 weeks after I took out pet insurance. Paw through the window, nicking the tendon sheath. There are dog crates in front of the floor to ceiling double doors that go out to the front of the house. And a baby gate at the bottom of the stairs that leads to the bedroom that has floor to ceiling triple glass windows. She will jump on the windows and I can just see her breaking through them, sliding down the veranda roof onto the front driveway, never to be seen again. Her prey drive is scary.

It sounds like Thistle and Justice are making great progress. Especially when you said that you got Justice to stop pulling towards the car, sit a minute and he collected himself. That is a huge win. He was allowed to self calm whilst still out of his safety zone. That is a huge win Snook. Huge. :thumbsup:

Have you tried early in the mornings? I've been walking around 6-7 am and it is quieter than I thought it would be at that time. The people that are out are out getting the job done too and seem more dedicated. It is the sometimes/weekend/holiday walkers I like to avoid. I was out at 6.30am yesterday and didn't see a single person.

I am lucky in that most of the people around here are really polite.

Can I admit something here?

It's not her fault, but I'm really frustrated with Thistle right now. I just did a 36 hour round trip where I flew down to tassie at night, slept, woke up, went and said goodbye to my dying grandmother and sick grandfather, basically said quick hello to family members I haven't seen in years on my little sisters birthday before flying home again because the house sitter couldnt' stay longer than she did (left mid today, unable to stay longer)

And I feel like shit because I can't board Thistle, I can't put her with her emergency contact cause I'm not convinced she won't jump the fence and run away so I need a housesitter, even one she wont go closer than 1 metre too when I'm gone.

I just wanted to stay a little longer and catch up/mourn with people I haven't seen in a decade and I can't because she needs me. It's so frustrating and I feel like a shitty person for only being there so briefly. Even though she's doing so well. I don't even know what to do about the funeral, I likely can't afford to go down and dad said that's okay but I just feel shitty not being there when the rest of my family is because my dog is so insecure when i'm not there.

Can I admit something here?

It's not her fault, but I'm really frustrated with Thistle right now. I just did a 36 hour round trip where I flew down to tassie at night, slept, woke up, went and said goodbye to my dying grandmother and sick grandfather, basically said quick hello to family members I haven't seen in years on my little sisters birthday before flying home again because the house sitter couldnt' stay longer than she did (left mid today, unable to stay longer)

And I feel like shit because I can't board Thistle, I can't put her with her emergency contact cause I'm not convinced she won't jump the fence and run away so I need a housesitter, even one she wont go closer than 1 metre too when I'm gone.

I just wanted to stay a little longer and catch up/mourn with people I haven't seen in a decade and I can't because she needs me. It's so frustrating and I feel like a shitty person for only being there so briefly. Even though she's doing so well. I don't even know what to do about the funeral, I likely can't afford to go down and dad said that's okay but I just feel shitty not being there when the rest of my family is because my dog is so insecure when i'm not there.

Have you contacted Alpha Bet? She has a kennel.

I don't know who that is Jules, is that a company? My concern with boarding is the distress it's give the dog. Even if the boarders listen to me and leave her alone I do not think it would be good for her to be kept in a strange place with strange ppl. It'd undo all the work :(

The best option I think is house sitters or someone dropping by and feeding so she's at least at home. It's moot anyway since I can't really afford more flights right now. Idk. I'll try to work it out when dates are given.

I'm just so upset that this trip just done was so short. And emotionally burnt out.

I don't know who that is Jules, is that a company? My concern with boarding is the distress it's give the dog. Even if the boarders listen to me and leave her alone I do not think it would be good for her to be kept in a strange place with strange ppl. It'd undo all the work :(

The best option I think is house sitters or someone dropping by and feeding so she's at least at home. It's moot anyway since I can't really afford more flights right now. Idk. I'll try to work it out when dates are given.

I'm just so upset that this trip just done was so short. And emotionally burnt out.

She's a forum member. She also does dog training, think she has a problem dog class. In Wallan. http://www.alfoxton.com.au/