Is There Ever Any Legitimate Reason To Charge $1k Extra For Paper

Pailin

I don't know exactly how breeders and registering their litters ect go but is there any reason why someone would sell a pup for $2500 with no papers or $3500 with papers?

Also how do you know if someone who claims to be a Registered Breeder actually is one? What sort of information can you ask for to verify?

Thanks

Edited by Pailin

No legitimate reason. Papers show a dog's pedigree and should be part-and-parcel of buying a dog, even if the dog is on limited register. I believe they don't cost the breeder much to get at all. In most states, registered breeders must register their litters and provide papers to buyers. I believe that this isn't the case in WA though.

You can always ask for their prefix and ring the state canine control body to check if they are registered (as "registered" can mean registered as a business, with the council etc and doesn't actually indicate that the breeder is selling pedigree dogs).

ETA: This wouldn't be for a "rare" blue stafford would it?

Edited by megan_

No legitimate reason. Papers show a dog's pedigree and should be part-and-parcel of buying a dog, even if the dog is on limited register. I believe they don't cost the breeder much to get at all. In most states, registered breeders must register their litters and provide papers to buyers. I believe that this isn't the case in WA though.

You can always ask for their prefix and ring the state canine control body to check if they are registered (as "registered" can mean registered as a business, with the council etc and doesn't actually indicate that the breeder is selling pedigree dogs).

ETA: This wouldn't be for a "rare" blue stafford would it?

Thanks, I thought so.

Edited by Pailin

My guess would be that they aren't registered and this is part of their bluff. People will think that they got a pedigreed dog on the cheap, just without a bit of paperwork. No peson wanting to show who actually did research would actually buy the dog anyway, so they won't ever be caught out.

My pet ltd registry puppies are at least one thousand less than their full registry counterpart.

My pet puppy homes do not pay for import lineage

but full registry homes, why yes absolutely.

Edited by lilli

My pet ltd registry puppies are at least one thousand less than their full registry counterpart.

I am not entirely clear on the lingo... can you explain what you mean by that?

I am interpreting it as your pet pups that go on a limited register cost less than the ones on full mains register? Is that due to different fees or something?

That is different from selling without papers completely isn't it?

Wasn't there a post on here about a blue Neo pup that had been stolen? The owner asked that people watch out for it. I saw it only a few days ago.

Yes there was Gayle, I saw it also, but Im struggling to find it now, I can't remember which section it was in ............old age ;)

Edited by Pattycake

Guest donatella

Wasn't there a post on here about a blue Neo pup that had been stolen? The owner asked that people watch out for it. I saw it only a few days ago.

Yes there was Gayle, I saw it also, but Im struggling to find it now, I can't remember which section it was in ............old age ;)

It went *poof* :laugh:

What state is this pup and how old? (not that the state matters much I guess) but the pup would be about 6-7 weeks old

Eta: oh and I think the original state was qld

Edited by donatella

There is a difference between charging for limited vs main - and just an extra $1000 for papers

they still have papers if they are on the limited register though? You're not selling them without papers?

Guest donatella

Does anyone remember the name of the poster who posted about the stolen pup? I can't for the life of me remember

I am not entirely clear on the lingo... can you explain what you mean by that?

I am interpreting it as your pet pups that go on a limited register cost less than the ones on full mains register? Is that due to different fees or something?

That is different from selling without papers completely isn't it?

In most states now breeders must supply the registration papers with a puppy. It is against the regulations to sell a puppy without papers. If you don't get papers you have no guarantee that the puppy is even pure bred. It could be anything and you have no comeback.

There are two different types of ANKC registration papers. Main register are for puppies that will be shown and/or bred from. Limit Register is for pets that will most likely be desexed. The puppies all cost the same to raise and the limit registration is only marginally cheaper for the breeder so most breeds go for the same price, regardless of register. BUT, if the breeder has imported breeding stock at great cost then they usually charge more for main registered puppies because they are in effect selling the imported bloodline that someone else can then breed with. It is a way of recouping a little of their costs and why should other breeders have the benefit of the imported lines for no more than is being charged for puppies from locally bred dogs? Pet buyers are just buying one dog not a bloodline to continue with so get charged less.

Alot of breeders do charge different prices between thier pet (limited) and main (show) puppies, i don't know if a thousand is exactly right, but i have heard of it, especially if it is a bitch that is going to be for breeding and or showing. Your not just paying for the actual piece of paper (which as someone said is around $35) but rather the difference in the quality of the pups, any importing arrangements, etc, etc. After all a dog on main papers must be of a higher quality to show and breed from.

However, you do not mention whether you mean that the person is paying extra for a main register dog, or for a piece of paper at all. As someone above said 'registered' could mean a registered business. Unless the person selling the pup has a prefix issued by a state controlled canine body, and a member of that body (in NSW it's Dogs NSW) and have had thier litter registered and can provide the right documentation then they are not what is commonly referred to on here as a registered breeder. If that is the case, then they are just bull dusting the whole situation. I have seen people buy puppies and be provided with 'papers' that were simply typed up on the person's computer with somewhat made up dogs names, and other quite fancy looking documents that were inked in calligraphy, both of which are not pedigree papers.

There is a difference between charging for limited vs main - and just an extra $1000 for papers

Depends what registry it is. ANKC demand that papers have to be issued anyway but not all do.

This person is a registered breeder (listed on DOL) who is selling the pup as $2500 UNPAPERED (no limited register) or $3500 with papers...???

Registered with DogsQLD.

Edited by Pailin