No Wonder People Buy From Petshops!

freundhund

About 3 years ago I tried to help a person buy a Golden Retreiver puppy, this person wasn't worried about sex only that puppy had health checks. I worded an email for this family and made a lot of phonecalls on their behalf. Well they ended up after 9 months with a puppy from a petshop!!! The lack of replies and help from Golden Retriever breeders was amazing or so I thought. People owned their own home, children now aged 11 and 13, mum didn't work, the family had investigated local obedience club and had done their home work.

On to a search for a small breed puppy for a good friend of my daughter's, requirement were, puppy needed to have health certificates and papers, preferred Main register because she would show puppy for first 12 months for experience in the ring before starting to trial, well after deciding that she liked 3 breeds and would be happy to take which ever breed became available, again I worded the emails, helped this girl make the phone calls, this girl was prepared to fly interstate, I would vouch for her, her horse vet was prepared to vouch for her! A year and a half later, she has given up on any of these 3 breeds. This girl owns her own home, she works but was organising to take time off to settle puppy in, puppy would have gone to work with her some days, price wasn't the problem.

Single gay guy, very good family friend, owns his own home trying to buy one of the gundog breeds either, again I tried helping. No we don't want the dog for pig hunting. This guy was interested in maybe coming to agility with me, but just a nice healthy puppy was all he wanted, but with papers Limited register was acceptable. (He has ended up with a puppy form a petshop who has assured him that the puppy is from a registered breeder). He was desperate for company, waiting 6 months was as long as he was prepared to wait.

Having read some of the replies of some breeders, having spoken to some breeders, having dealt with some of these breeders trying to buy a puppy. NO wonder why people buy puppies from pet shops!!!! I have never dealt with so many people that were outright rude, difficult to deal with and just plain obnoxious.

Yes, as a breeder I know how much work we put into our puppies, I know how important good homes are, BUT all these homes were excellent homes.

I am still insearch for a dog for one of these people, they would still like a puppy

Yes, as a breeder I know how much work we put into our puppies, I know how important good homes are, BUT all these homes were excellent homes.

In your eyes, perhaps not the breeders??

I would rather speak to the potential owners then a friend.

I make no excuse for being hard to deal with when people enquire about a puppy, in fact Im very hard to get a puppy from and I tell people this upfront.

I want people to jump through hoops, I also expect my puppy people to want me to jump through hoops for them when it's needed.

Jumabaar, I have spoken to breeders at shows, in fact that was were I made my first inqiries for friends. With each breeder, I explained I was asking on behalf of a friend, could I have a email address or phone number for friend to contact them, told them about friend and asked if they the breeder I was talking to would consider them a suitable home.

Sway, I wrote what people needed to put into the email they sent, and we sent it from their home. I made the initial call because it was felt that I would know the right questions to ask the breeder. At least 2 of the above mention people have jumped thru amazing hoops, as they have been asked to provide references from local vet, information to prove they own their own homes, proof that their properties are fully fenced, asked all sorts of questions, been told by breeders they were on waiting lists and that there would be a puppy available during the year. Told there was a puppy available then told breeder had decided to run more than one puppy on, it gets a lot harder to keep looking for a puppy when you believe you are on a waiting list, or your puppy has been born, particularly as there are only 6 breeders of a breed in your state that you are interested in.

Where are these types of potential owners when I have a litter - I would love to deal with someone like them, unfortunately I have dealt with several shockers who have been the main reason I keep delaying my next litter.

Are they open to discuss other breeds?

I have had a hell of a time getting through to some breeders too and I often joked tongue in cheek that it is easier to get a friggen home loan than a good puppy...

Edited by Andisa

I make sure I reply to all my puppy enquiries.

There are often the usual " I'm looking for a puppy can you send me pic's of them? " but even though these would be easy to delete & shrug off as time wasters, I feel its my job as a breeder to be hospitable & as helpful as possible, I usually reply by asking them what they are looking for in a dog & ask them to tell a bit about themselves.

Naturally there are no guarantee's you will get a puppy from me but I try hard to not insult or be rude.

I have on the other hand spoken to breeders in the past who have been anything but helpful & I can see how buying from a registered breeder can seem too daunting.

Sway, I wrote what people needed to put into the email they sent, and we sent it from their home. I made the initial call because it was felt that I would know the right questions to ask the breeder.

You said - I worded an email for this family and made a lot of phonecalls on their behalf.

At least 2 of the above mention people have jumped thru amazing hoops, as they have been asked to provide references from local vet, information to prove they own their own homes, proof that their properties are fully fenced, asked all sorts of questions,

Hoop jumping is good.

been told by breeders they were on waiting lists and that there would be a puppy available during the year.

No one can guarantee a puppy, what if the bitch didn't conceive or only had 1 puppy, what then?

Told there was a puppy available then told breeder had decided to run more than one puppy on, it gets a lot harder to keep looking for a puppy when you believe you are on a waiting list, or your puppy has been born

Oh come on, a breeder should not be blamed for running on extra puppies on, If they sold your friends puppy to someone else yeah I would be upset, but a breeder should breed for themselves first.

particularly as there are only 6 breeders of a breed in your state that you are interested in.

Freight is cheap, look outside the box.

particularly as there are only 6 breeders of a breed in your state that you are interested in.

Freight is cheap, look outside the box.

Don't be restricted to your state. I already have a pup from QLD, have looked at a cat in SA (too bad I don't have the space atm for a kitten :cry:) and I already know the next pup I get won't be from NSW either. As a breeder I would prefer a great home on the other side of the country than an average local home.

Also these homes decided to settle for pet shop puppies. They decided to compromise on the breeding and support instead of compromising on time. I wouldn't actually sell to anyone that thought that was even a POSSIBLE compromise. I know people that rescued instead of going to a breeder- these are people that I would still sell to. So the people that went and got pet shop puppies- not a suitable home for one of my pups IMO. I don't support puppy farms, not do I support people who support puppy farming ;)

Edited by Jumabaar

Sway for the Golden Retreiver puppy it was for my boss and his family in Melbourne, I got his family to inquire in both states and still no luck.

For my daughter's friend we have contacted puppy breeders in all states with no luck, the breeder that told her she had a puppy available told her this when another breeder had a litter and this girl was on both lists, she missed out on the other litter as she told the second breeder first breeder had contacted her to say she had a puppy available, then was told at 7 weeks just before she flew interstate to supposedly pick up puppy that the breeder was running it on and no longer available!!!

The young guy and I did look in Qld and Vic as well as NSW but no luck.

I promise you that I also hear stories from parents of my children's friends trying to buy puppies. I have to say that I have helped a number of parents buy purebred puppies as they have started the venture and found it very daunting with the attitudes displayed towards them.

I have had people buy a puppy from me and say that they phoned and left messages and also left emails for approx 10-12 breeders and these breeders have not had the decency to return their calls or emails.

I also had a buyer of one of my puppies who at first contact asked me about a black puppy which I don't breed for but if he really wanted a black I would send him some recommendations of breeder that may be able to help him find the puppy he was looking for. This same person rang me and emailed me several times and later bought a black & tan from me.

This person was amazed by the fact that I didn't endeavor to sell him what he wasn't looking for and that I actually wanted to help him find the black he was searching for.

We became great friends, he sends me almost weekly photos of his puppy she is now aged 14 months and I have recently aided him to find and buy a black puppy.

He is every breeders dream puppy buyer, :thumbsup:

About 3 years ago I tried to help a person buy a Golden Retreiver puppy, this person wasn't worried about sex only that puppy had health checks. I worded an email for this family and made a lot of phonecalls on their behalf. Well they ended up after 9 months with a puppy from a petshop!!! The lack of replies and help from Golden Retriever breeders was amazing or so I thought. People owned their own home, children now aged 11 and 13, mum didn't work, the family had investigated local obedience club and had done their home work.

On to a search for a small breed puppy for a good friend of my daughter's, requirement were, puppy needed to have health certificates and papers, preferred Main register because she would show puppy for first 12 months for experience in the ring before starting to trial, well after deciding that she liked 3 breeds and would be happy to take which ever breed became available, again I worded the emails, helped this girl make the phone calls, this girl was prepared to fly interstate, I would vouch for her, her horse vet was prepared to vouch for her! A year and a half later, she has given up on any of these 3 breeds. This girl owns her own home, she works but was organising to take time off to settle puppy in, puppy would have gone to work with her some days, price wasn't the problem.

Single gay guy, very good family friend, owns his own home trying to buy one of the gundog breeds either, again I tried helping. No we don't want the dog for pig hunting. This guy was interested in maybe coming to agility with me, but just a nice healthy puppy was all he wanted, but with papers Limited register was acceptable. (He has ended up with a puppy form a petshop who has assured him that the puppy is from a registered breeder). He was desperate for company, waiting 6 months was as long as he was prepared to wait.

Having read some of the replies of some breeders, having spoken to some breeders, having dealt with some of these breeders trying to buy a puppy. NO wonder why people buy puppies from pet shops!!!! I have never dealt with so many people that were outright rude, difficult to deal with and just plain obnoxious.

I am still insearch for a dog for one of these people, they would still like a puppy

Shame they weren't after a Finnish Lapphund ;)

Sway for the Golden Retreiver puppy it was for my boss and his family in Melbourne, I got his family to inquire in both states and still no luck.

There is currently 22 puppy listings for Golden's they are an easy breed to come by. :confused:

Sway, I know how many puppy listings are on DOL, we contacted all the breeders and people that had puppies listed as well as the breed club in both states. I can assure you the email I wrote for this family went along the lines of:-

Hi

We are looking to buy a XYZ puppy from a registered breeder, we don't mind either a boy or a girl. We are looking for a healthy puppy with the relevant health certificates that the clubs breed secretary stated we should look for.

We are a family/single person who owns our own home, has a completely fenced garden, however, the dog is to be an inside dog.

Could you please email us back to let us know when you would be expecting a litter and whether we could put our names down for a puppy.

Kindest Regards

This is the basic email that was sent by the potential buyers, Please note this is not just one breed but a number that have failed to respond or at least reply to politely. The phone calls have been made in the same vein, and if I have made them it has been along the same way as well.

Despite a lot of listings for golden puppies, there is also a lot of enquiries. I have a litter due in a month and have had over 50 enquiries in the last month or two alone. Sure, some just want general info, etc,. but many are genuinely wanting to purchase a pup

freundhund, i understand that you want to help your friends look for a pup, but if i had someone email/phone on another persons behalf i would simply ask you to ask them to call me. Perhaps just help them with relevant questions, etc., but it would raise some alarm bells for me if the people themselves didn't call me. Quite often you can get a 'feel' for a person almost immediately on the phone - i like to have a good chat with them so we can both ask questions of each other, and then, all being well i like to meet them before i put anybody on my waiting list.

That's an ok email freundhund, but perhaps make it more personal if they're not going to call the breeder. I much prefer phone calls, but i know a lot of breeders do like initial contact via email. I probably get a minimum of 10 similar emails to yours per week, and i get a bit frustrated sometimes because i work a minimum of 5 days a week when i don't have a litter, it takes time to respond, answer questions, etc., and then often there is no reply at all, not even a 'thanks for the info'. I have even sent out my own puppy pack via email to people who have bought puppies from other breeders and not received much information, and not a simple thank you. I'm not saying you or your friends would do this, just trying to help explain why some breeders may appear short or rude. There are so many time-wasters out there, and from a basic email it's difficult to differentiate between them, hence why i much prefer a phone call.

That's an ok email freundhund, but perhaps make it more personal if they're not going to call the breeder. I much prefer phone calls, but i know a lot of breeders do like initial contact via email. I probably get a minimum of 10 similar emails to yours per week, and i get a bit frustrated sometimes because i work a minimum of 5 days a week when i don't have a litter, it takes time to respond, answer questions, etc., and then often there is no reply at all, not even a 'thanks for the info'. I have even sent out my own puppy pack via email to people who have bought puppies from other breeders and not received much information, and not a simple thank you. I'm not saying you or your friends would do this, just trying to help explain why some breeders may appear short or rude. There are so many time-wasters out there, and from a basic email it's difficult to differentiate between them, hence why i much prefer a phone call.

I do have to agree with this. My last litter I was getting at least 1 enquiry a day. It takes time to respond! An like goldielover often not even an email reply to say thanks.

However I still do reply to every email enquiry I receive. Personally I spend my time updating my website, this way I can refer people here which keeps the email responses shorter and therefore quicker to respond.

Althought I have never known anyone personally that have had the same experience as freundhund I have had some interested puppy buyers tell me they have had a hard time getting information from some breeders.

I don't understand why people have so much trouble finding puppies from good breeders. I have found puppies for friends and work colleagues from several breeds over the years. I ask around for the best people to contact in each breed through the showring grapevine. Then I call first, explain my credentials and who I am looking for a puppy for. Once I find some likely contacts I get the potential owners to call and talk to the breeders themselves.

The only issue I have ever had was trying to find a Cocker Spaniel about 10 years ago when none of the prominent breeders where doing clinical eye tests for PRA. We had to compromise there because I could not find one breeder that did routine eye tests on their breeding stock but the buyer ended up with a wonderful puppy that they were thrilled with.

Giving anyone a guarantee that they will get a puppy from a particular litter is difficult in some breeds, even though they might be great buyers. With Border Collies, the best breeders never allocate puppies until at least 6 weeks because the temperaments and personalities vary so much and matching the puppy to the right buyer is vital. This means you can have 10 people on the waiting list and not one suitable home for a particular puppy. This has happened to me with a particularly active puppy that I knew none of the buyers on my list would be able to live with so I kept her until the right home came along. Many of the BC breeders share pet buyers though. If we cannot fill an order we refer the buyer onto another litter from another breeder we know and trust so the pet buyers usually end up with a suitable puppy even if it isn't from the original breeder. I know it happens in some other breeds as well but it seems not in many. :(

Edited by dancinbcs

I think also if a person is willing to pick up the phone and talk to you you have a much better feel for the buyer to be - I have sold puppies to people who have made contact by email but the ones that I talk to over the phone early in the peice and find out just what they want and can give to a puppy are the ones that I give my first consideration to. Its easy to send off the same email to many breeders and see what comes back but a phone call is a lot more personal and gives the breeder a chance to judge the buyer to be.

A great percentage of my pups are also bought from people interstate as well so don't be put off by the pup having to fly - they do it all the time and as already stated by another its not really expensive - I always say - the cost of a pup is just the tip of the ice berg when you add up what it will cost you over a lifetime.

I always remember a lady who rang me from interstate wanting a pup so much but I had already promised my whole litter and told her this - she had lost her dog and was heartbroken and sounded so nice - within about 48 hours I did get a cancellation but had not taken this lady's name - my husband was able to retrieve the phone number on received calls and I rang her back probably ahead of some others on my waiting list and she was so happy - her and her daughter kept in touch with emails and thankyous for the photos and phone calls the whole of the rest of the time till he went to them and he became their perfect pet - had she just emailed me I probably would not have gone to the trouble to find her again.

Good luck in finding the pups for your friends - but I would rather speak to the person who is going to own the puppy myself.

Being on a waiting list can be a two way street.

I don't know if I would bother with a waiting list again.

Most of the "early inquiries" sourced pups from elsewhere but that did make for some very happy "late runners". :)

Then there was one woman who was as keen as mustard on my waiting list but when I sent her a puppy photo said, no thanks, she had just spent the money on a new lounge suite and by the way, she wanted a bitch that was of "correct markings" on MR to breed with. What did she mean by "correct markings"? I asked.

Oh it needs to have a spot in it's head. Her original inquiry had been for a family pet and I had discussed LR with her on her original enquiry. :shrug: Lucky for the puppy whose new owners (first time dog owners) really did their homework and are a dream family. :)

Sometimes getting a dog can take time but I do believe your friends needed to make the first inquiry themselves, or at the least follow up with a phone call and not an email.