Puppy Farm Petition...

westiemum

I would support a petition to stop all puppy farms not just one. Closing them down...they will just start somewhere else.

Also, I'd like more information on the place, rather than reports that aren't backed up by evidence. How do you know it's not a legitimate business?

Edited by poochmad

I would support a petition to stop all puppy farms not just one. Closing them down...they will just start somewhere else.

Also, I'd like more information on the place, rather than reports that aren't backed up by evidence. How do you know it's not a legitimate business?

+1

Actually I'm sure it is a legitimate business. Most puppy farms are. As are the Japanese whalers but most Australians would likely think that doesn' t make their activities right.This one purports to be a dog sanctuary, calls itself a dog sanctuary yet advertises like a puppy farmer. It's a highly secretive operation which appears to operates in the same way Freedom Kennels used to operate. No reporting on their so called rescue activities or transparency...

General petitions are notoriously unsuccessful. IMO social action needs to be specific and targeted. (eg the. Avaaz/ Get Up campaigns which are VERY specific targeted and transparent). Similarly here and as happened with the proposed Geelong area puppy farm a year or two ago.

In researching this specific issue I came to the conclusion that this petition is worthy of my support. I did my homework.

It's up to others to do similarly and then make their own decision..

Edited by westiemum

Evidence?

Why do you need a petition if its rotten- why arent the council doing what needs to be done if its so bad ? Surely if they have closed them down once before they can do it again without needing a petition - why not just a complaint?

Evidence?

Why do you need a petition if its rotten- why arent the council doing what needs to be done if its so bad ? Surely if they have closed them down once before they can do it again without needing a petition - why not just a complaint?

Agree.

My thoughts are that if the place has violated their requirements then a complaint should be put forward to the council who in turn contacts the RSPCA for an inspection and back around it goes.

Edited by poochmad

The RSPCA are investigating again .......but by the time that happens place is cleaned up a little and numerous puppies have already been moved to other family members properties .........the only dogs that were handed over last time were either male , old and full of mammary tumours or older pups that were quite timid and therefore not so saleable .......the only desexed dog handed over was the daughters pet and they asked for two undexed alpine dingos back in return for her . They are not registered as a business or have an ABN for either a rescue/sanctuary nor a puppy farm anywhere ;)

Evidence?

Steve we have different views of the effectiveness of councils and the RSPCA. You believe in that system as an avenue for change - I don't. And that's OK.

As I said before, it's a personal decision and up to you. The thread was not intended as a debate on the legitimacy of this petition - I think people should decide that for themselves. I decided this was worthy of my support after researching it as Im entitled to do. And thought others might like to look at it and decide for themselves on the basis of their own research - or not. After all this is certainly not the first petition on DoL which people will have differing views about and probably won't be the last. And that's OK.

The RSPCA are investigating again .......but by the time that happens place is cleaned up a little and numerous puppies have already been moved to other family members properties .........the only dogs that were handed over last time were either male , old and full of mammary tumours or older pups that were quite timid and therefore not so saleable .......the only desexed dog handed over was the daughters pet and they asked for two undexed alpine dingos back in return for her . They are not registered as a business or have an ABN for either a rescue/sanctuary nor a puppy farm anywhere ;)

So how do they know the RSPCA is investigating before they get there? Thought they said they had handed it over to the council why cant the council get a complaint and shoot on over there ?

Nup I need more evidence than this - whether or not they have an ABN doesn't interest me either.

Evidence?

Steve we have different views of the effectiveness of councils and the RSPCA. You believe in that system as an avenue for change - I don't. And that's OK.

As I said before, it's a personal decision and up to you. The thread was not intended as a debate on the legitimacy of this petition - I think people should decide that for themselves. I decided this was worthy of my support after researching it as Im entitled to do. And thought others might like to look at it and decide for themselves on the basis of their own research - or not. After all this is certainly not the first petition on DoL which people will have differing views about and probably won't be the last. And that's OK.

Not necessarily true .I think the system is there and before I encourage anyone to sign a petition or decide to sign it myself I need better evidence that the system isnt working.

Im more than happy to ad my name to it when ever if ever I can see some reason for believing what is being said. So far I cant .Im not saying it the problem doesn't exist or that the petition isnt required exist but perhaps you need to tell me why you think its needed because so far ithere isnt anything telling me its needed.

So how do they know the RSPCA is investigating before they get there? Thought they said they had handed it over to the council why cant the council get a complaint and shoot on over there ?

Nup I need more evidence than this - whether or not they have an ABN doesn't interest me either.

Apart from the fact the inspector told me himself .......it also states it on the RSPCA WA facebook page ........not sure how things work with the RSPCA over where you are but last time this place was raided it was one of our group that took the dogs in and had to attend with our dog trailers to transport them .....the rangers and RSPCA were there .......but didn't take any of the seized dogs into their care .

Evidence?

Not necessarily true .I think the system is there and before I encourage anyone to sign a petition or decide to sign it myself I need better evidence that the system isnt working.

Im more than happy to ad my name to it when ever if ever I can see some reason for believing what is being said. So far I cant .Im not saying it the problem doesn't exist or that the petition isnt required exist but perhaps you need to tell me why you think its needed because so far ithere isnt anything telling me its needed.

Steve with respect a couple of points - i don't need to tell you anything as you can decide for yourself - and you appear to have decided this isn't satisfactory for you and that's fine. The research I did satisfied me and that's fine too. Secondly I have not encouraged anyone to blindly sign and I give people credit for having some sense to research these things before acting (cf I simply posted the petition). Your view seems to be either 'system' or 'petition' / social action whereas I dont see them as mutually exclusive - whether the system works or not in my view doesn't preclude social action. I'm happy with the research I did before signing the petition. You weren't happy with what is in front of you. So happy to disagree :) .

Evidence?

Steve with respect a couple of points - i don't need to tell you anything as you can decide for yourself - and you appear to have decided this isn't satisfactory for you and that's fine. The research I did satisfied me and that's fine too. Secondly I have not encouraged anyone to blindly sign and I give people credit for having some sense to research these things before acting (cf I simply posted the petition). Your view seems to be either 'system' or 'petition' / social action whereas I dont see them as mutually exclusive - whether the system works or not in my view doesn't preclude social action. I'm happy with the research I did before signing the petition. You weren't happy with what is in front of you. So happy to disagree :) .

I think perhaps you have misunderstood .I'm not having a go at you or your decision to sign a petition or the petition. Im saying if there is better evidence Id like to see it and hear it . Not just to you but to anyone. You tell me you have investigated and made up your mind this is a good thing and my experience with you tells me you are usually pretty even and logical so I believe you but I cant see what you have researched and found out and nor can anyone else . Im simply saying before I decide Id like to see more to tell me its justified.

You're right no one has to tell me anything but Im not sure how anyone can be expected to support something based on what has been presented.

Apart from the fact the inspector told me himself .......it also states it on the RSPCA WA facebook page ........not sure how things work with the RSPCA over where you are but last time this place was raided it was one of our group that took the dogs in and had to attend with our dog trailers to transport them .....the rangers and RSPCA were there .......but didn't take any of the seized dogs into their care .

I don't live that far from Bakers Hill and am horrified to hear about this puppy mill. Happy to sign the petition.

Facebook the beacon of truth ;)

• 1 month later...

Evidence?

I have far more faith in the effectiveness of councils and the RSPCA than I do in the effectiveness of online petitions.

You might feel better about yourself for signing it but it won't accomplish a damn thing. :(