Worming Tablets

Mufasa

yup you sure can http://www.greyhoundproductsdirect.com.au/products_ranvet.htm right down the bottom, the allwormer tablet.

Worm Free All Wormer Tablets

Treats Roundworm, Hookworm, Whipworm, Tapeworms and Hydatid Tapeworm.

Active Constituents (10kg tablet size):

50mg Praziquantel

542mg Oxantel embonate

143mg Pyrantel embonate

comes in 25kg size tablets as well.

yup you sure can http://www.greyhoundproductsdirect.com.au/products_ranvet.htm right down the bottom, the allwormer tablet.

50mg Praziquantel

542mg Oxantel embonate

143mg Pyrantel embonate

Thanks for the link! I've been looking for something cheaper than Interceptor...but everything is a 10kg tablet, which seems no cheaper than buying Interceptor when you're looking at treating a 27kg dog

Any tip for cheap heartworm treatment? preferably monthly?

When I was using Interceptor I kept an eye out online for bargains. So long as it is legitimate Australian product, and still in date. It actually worked out quite cost effective.

Keep an eye on ebay. ;)

I'm treating 3 dogs in 3 different weight ranges, all of whom are only just in their weight range which just seems like a waste, its becoming too tempting to cut the chews in half, which is why I'm looking at something that comes in a tablet form, that way I can chop them as I need to

You can buy Drontal chews and split them... personally I've split interceptor chews as well... they say the ingredient is not evenly distributed but the weight ranges are so big anyway and I'm not sure how much truth is in that.

Many people including myself split the Sentinal or Interceptor chews on a regular basis ( I do 4 shelties with 1 large chew). I would not imagine that they are measuring each ingredient for each individual chew separately so the theory that the ingredient may not be evenly distributed seems a bit stretched. If this was in fact trues then would we not be running the risk that some of the chews that we are using may not have the right levels of ingredients.

TB

Many people including myself split the Sentinal or Interceptor chews on a regular basis ( I do 4 shelties with 1 large chew). I would not imagine that they are measuring each ingredient for each individual chew separately so the theory that the ingredient may not be evenly distributed seems a bit stretched. If this was in fact trues then would we not be running the risk that some of the chews that we are using may not have the right levels of ingredients.

TB

Ok, so I'm treating a 26.5kg, a 14kg, and a 5kg dog, could I stretch a large dog chew over the 3 do you think? I already do them every 6 weeks to save a bit lol

I would be worried about the concentration of ingredients in a large chew for a 5kg dog (even after breaking it up).

I give Interceptor every 6 weeks and don't find it too expensive. I have to buy Very Small and Small though so its a bit cheaper. It costs me less than $70 for 8 months coverage.

50mg Praziquantel

542mg Oxantel embonate

143mg Pyrantel embonate

Thanks. Do u know if these are a monthly or 3 monthly tablet?

intestinal wormers only need to be given monthly, heartworm tablets are the ones you have to give monthly.

http://www.greyhoundproductsdirect.com.au/products_valueplus.htm

those who want cheap heartworm ...

Valuheart Heartworm Tablets

Prevention to avoid heartworm disease. It contains ivermectin, the most widely used drug to prevent heartworm in Australian dogs for over ten years. Pack contains six tablets, a six-month supply.

Active Constituent (Large tablet size):

240 ug/Tb Ivermectin

Small (up to 10kg) - $13.50

Medium (11-20kg) - $14.95

Large (21-40kg) - $16.50

The Value Plus range is quite good I buy even some of the supplements for myself (eg epsom salts in a 5kg bag etc) Have a trawl through the website greyhound stuff will always be cheaper. It just wont come in fancy packaging.

Guest lavendergirl

I have started to give heartworm only monthly and intend to give an all wormer every three months. I don't see why dogs who live in suburbia and are essentially house dogs would need dosing for worms every month. I understand that dogs on farms etc who are around livestock may need it though. One thought though- I am thinking of changing over to raw feeding (using human grade) would that mean I need to give an all wormer every month or is the risk only with pet grade meat?

intestinal wormers only need to be given monthly, heartworm tablets are the ones you have to give monthly.

Do you mean 3 monthly?

Thanks so much for this website.

I have been using Sentinal Spectrum and Inteceptor and every now and then I look at seperate products to see if I can do it cheaper - and it is not. These products will definetly work out cheaper when I do not need to provide flea treatment in winter. I will have to do some sums to see if all seperate with a flea treatment like comfortis is cheaper.

I have started to give heartworm only monthly and intend to give an all wormer every three months. I don't see why dogs who live in suburbia and are essentially house dogs would need dosing for worms every month. I understand that dogs on farms etc who are around livestock may need it though. One thought though- I am thinking of changing over to raw feeding (using human grade) would that mean I need to give an all wormer every month or is the risk only with pet grade meat?

Heart worm is transmitted by mosquitos, which is why it gets done monthly in mosquito areas.

If you are feeding offal as part of your raw feeding you will either need to freeze the offal for 20 days at -20 degrees or worm your dog with an allwormer that treats hydatid worms.

I have started to give heartworm only monthly and intend to give an all wormer every three months. I don't see why dogs who live in suburbia and are essentially house dogs would need dosing for worms every month. I understand that dogs on farms etc who are around livestock may need it though.

It is my opinion that we do worm our dogs more frequently than is required. I'd hate for this to be taken as a signal for everyone to completely slacken off away from worming, but I think it is worth consideration to worming our dogs a bit more judiciously than we currently do.

I periodically have my boy's faeces tested for worm burden. He's now 3yo and completed the puppy worming regime when he was a youngster. So far, the few tests I've had completed in between have proven negative for the presence of parasites/worms. And his diet does include raw meat - as much as I try for human grade, some meats are labelled "pet" only.

This is separate to heartworming though and I do agree that if you live in a climate that is conducive to the development of heartworm through to infestation stage, heartworm is unfortunately a necessity. From what I have read I'd avoid the yearly and run with the monthly. Again - just me.

Just my opinion.

Good post Ernie - I agree. I think in general we over-medicate our dogs. So I don't worm religiously each month - and haven't had any untoward effects. :)

I have started to give heartworm only monthly and intend to give an all wormer every three months. I don't see why dogs who live in suburbia and are essentially house dogs would need dosing for worms every month. I understand that dogs on farms etc who are around livestock may need it though.

It is my opinion that we do worm our dogs more frequently than is required. I'd hate for this to be taken as a signal for everyone to completely slacken off away from worming, but I think it is worth consideration to worming our dogs a bit more judiciously than we currently do.

I periodically have my boy's faeces tested for worm burden. He's now 3yo and completed the puppy worming regime when he was a youngster. So far, the few tests I've had completed in between have proven negative for the presence of parasites/worms. And his diet does include raw meat - as much as I try for human grade, some meats are labelled "pet" only.

This is separate to heartworming though and I do agree that if you live in a climate that is conducive to the development of heartworm through to infestation stage, heartworm is unfortunately a necessity. From what I have read I'd avoid the yearly and run with the monthly. Again - just me.

Just my opinion.

Good post Ernie - I agree. I think in general we over-medicate our dogs. So I don't worm religiously each month - and haven't had any untoward effects. :)

Thanks Westiemum - but just for clarification sake in relation to both our posts (I re-read mine and not so sure I wrote particularly well), normal parasite worming is generally 3-monthly (not monthly). I haven't wormed my boy since he was a baby puppy, yet his faecal exam for the presence of worms has come in as negative even though he is now 3 years old.

I agree with posts that suggest the environment and your dogs' activities should dictate how often (or not) you might need to worm your dogs.

Whoops yes thanks for the clarification Erny - time for me to head to bed as I'm not being very clear tonight. You're right - I meant three monthly (Drontal) but I'm not even terribly regular with that... and still think we tend to over-medicate... :)

Thanks Westiemum - but just for clarification sake in relation to both our posts (I re-read mine and not so sure I wrote particularly well), normal parasite worming is generally 3-monthly (not monthly). I haven't wormed my boy since he was a baby puppy, yet his faecal exam for the presence of worms has come in as negative even though he is now 3 years old.

I agree with posts that suggest the environment and your dogs' activities should dictate how often (or not) you might need to worm your dogs.

Edited by westiemum