Bunnings Compost Bin As Puppy Pen

Cherubs

hi there,

I've read that quite a few people use the bunnings compost bin as a puppy pen.

I was thinking of using this indoors free standing on its own for the odd occasion that I'm gone for more than 3 hours (cav puppy only 15 weeks old).

Will this pen tip over if my puppy jumps up on the wire frame?

If so is there anything I could do to stop it from tipping over?

My Labrador seldom jumped in his. It leaned rather perilously on the odd occasion that he did, but never fell so I wouldn't think that a Cav could tip one but I'd be training him not to jump up, just in case, and go off his behaviour when deciding whether he can be trusted alone in it.

My boy is now 2 years old and still sleeps in his at night (if he's not in my bedroom) and knows not to jump - at his size now, it would easily topple if he tried. One thing to take into consideration is their ability to push the pen around - I used to brace mine with old roof tiles and a rock or two to stop him dragging it about.

It is currently withstanding my 14.5 week old lab puppy....but only just. He is already around the size of an adult cav and literally launches himself at the sides of the pen. So I think you will probably find it more effective at containment than me.

I have attached lino to the floor which helps it keep its square shape and am thinking that I will soon buy another one to add as a lid.

He only jumps up when someone is there....and I tend to only leave for him for any considerable amount of time once he is tired.

It easily contained and still does contain my friends 10 month old collie puppy but he has a lot more respect for boundaries than my puppy does.

I bought a few of them, joined 2 sets together to make a larger pen, and set it up in my granny flat. So far that pen has managed to contain 2 sets of large breed pups - 1 set were 9 4kg pups, and the second set were 7 Lab/Rotti/GSD pups of 5+ kgs each.

Love the Bunnings compost pens to bits here! Cheap AND effective...

T.

I bought a few of them, joined 2 sets together to make a larger pen, and set it up in my granny flat. So far that pen has managed to contain 2 sets of large breed pups - 1 set were 9 4kg pups, and the second set were 7 Lab/Rotti/GSD pups of 5+ kgs each.

Love the Bunnings compost pens to bits here! Cheap AND effective...

T.

Same here I joined two to create puppy pen in are family room and had no trouble containing 4 & 5 month old toy breed pups. Found them great as I could add or remove a panel as required to fit the space. Actually bought another one last weekend so I can create a large contained outdoor area if required.

The pen is too small. Buy another one & join them up for when you are out.

Stabilise as posted by others or tie one end to a table leg or something.

One thing to check is that your puppy can not climb to the top in the corner. I watched my tiny & I mean really tiny 4 or 5 week old poodle puppy do this. I nearly fell over :eek: & just managed to rush forward & catch her before she landed on her head.

Popped her back in & stood there & she went to the corner & immediately did it again.

She had been in the pen from 3 weeks old & not tried it before.

I also bought a few sets and I joined them together and attached them to my Lab pup's crate to give him quite a big play area outside his crate. I first attached to one end of the crate, then that spread the playpen out in a octagonal type shape around his playpen and attached to the other side of his crate. The crate acted as an anchor and one door of the crate opened into the playpen area. My pup who was 10 weeks when I got him was a large boy and never once jumped on/at the panels. I also used the panels as pseudo baby gates for wides areas that I wanted to block off to restrict my pup to the family area until he was toiled trained. I also used the panels outside to block off access to some areas I didn't want him to get into in the backyard and to also place over any holes he started to dig :D . These panels are a godsend, so many uses for them. :thumbsup:

A tip I was given - if you have a pup who is inclined to jump up, leave one side of the pen loose, just use clips to hook it up and never lift the pup into or out of the pen, use the clipped edge as a door. They soon learn that 'up' will get them out. Mightn't work for them all but I tried it with one of mine and he doesn't jump up to get out, just waits until the 'door' is opened.

I would love to see what these compost Bin's look like as I was in Bunnings on the weekend and walked through several areas where there was metal fencing and even dog houses being sold and nothing looked like a compost bin fenching that would be big enough to put a puppy to play in.

I am thinking of getting some to split the tiled area in 1/2 so that my two don't get into too much mischief whilst we are out, but it'd be great to see a photo before I go to bunnings and start asking about them and not being able to describe them.

You won;t find them in the animal aisle. They're compost bins and kept where the other compost bins are kept. Edited to add a description - it is flat packed and consists of 4 mesh panels that are almost square.

Edited by ~Anne~

We had two sets joined when our pup was younger. Now that he's older and doesn't need the pen I bought another one and set the whole lot up around my vege patch. Stops him running through my vege's when doing zoomies around the yard;)

I've also used two joined together to make a fence across my yard. I use those plastic loop tie things to secure it as the coil ones that come with it aren't good with a lot of movement.

Handy hint: my husband gets some pliers and bends each end of the coil in when they are in the right place, stops them moving. Works a treat. Always leave one end free and attach with dog clips, that way you can join as many sets together as you like and they are very versatile.

I've also used two joined together to make a fence across my yard. I use those plastic loop tie things to secure it as the coil ones that come with it aren't good with a lot of movement.

Handy hint: my husband gets some pliers and bends each end of the coil in when they are in the right place, stops them moving. Works a treat. Always leave one end free and attach with dog clips, that way you can join as many sets together as you like and they are very versatile.

I also wrapped gaffer tape around the coils as well (no sharp edges for the dogs, and they don't work their way up or down the wires either)

Here is a couple pics of the pens being used. I prefer to anchore mine to something (crate etc) as have found pups can put thyeir heads into a corner move the crate around. Sammie Lilly was good at this, would move it from room to room :laugh:

I have about 24 pannels, some are for outside and some inside.

used outside (on the left in the first pic

104_6867.jpg

104_6868.jpg

Leanne

Edited by Ozstar Kennels

Here is a couple pics of the pens being used. I prefer to anchore mine to something (crate etc) as have found pups can put thyeir heads into a corner move the crate around. Sammie Lilly was good at this, would move it from room to room :laugh:

I have about 24 pannels, some are for outside and some inside.

used outside (on the left in the first pic

Leanne

Thanks Ozstar! If Lilly can push them room to room I'm sure baby Angus would too! He likes to push the boundaries where as Asti doesn't! :o