Bendigo Man Threatens To Kill Pet Cats If They Wander Into His Yard

Peace_Of_Mind

The easiest way for the Bendigo man to solve the cat problems in his yard, would be to trap them and take them to the pound. We did this a couple of years ago and we've not had a cat in our yard, winding up the dogs since. It took a couple of weeks to catch the offenders but I've not seen one of them since.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will all be irrelevant soon anyway because more and more councils are now bringing in laws that mean you must contain your cats. Cats caught on other people's properties or public property can be trapped and impounded.

Or trapped and killed. So we're back to the original theme. I like cats, yet my dogs can and do kill any wandering cat that comes into my secure backyard. The law covers me for that.

And the original article should be another warning to the owners of wandering cats. There are plenty of people out there prepared to do the same, and they are legally allowed to.

Guest lavendergirl

It will all be irrelevant soon anyway because more and more councils are now bringing in laws that mean you must contain your cats. Cats caught on other people's properties or public property can be trapped and impounded.

Yep - Logan City Council near Brisbane have brought in exactly that law. Any neighbourhood cats I have ever known that are allowed to wander only live a few years - where is the sense in that??

When he does finally die, from whatever cause, I will know that he's had a great life, rolling around in the garden in the sun and sharpening his claws on the trees.

My six cats also have a great life, rolling around in my garden and sharpening their claws on the tree. They pester the geckos and chomp grasshoppers. They stalk the birds but are unsuccessful because there is only one tree, the birds stay in the uppermost branches and the mynah birds sound the alert every time the cats move.

They have the wind in their fur and the sun on their wee faces.

And because of a combination of oscillot fence-proofing plus inclined bird netting with cheap L-brackets, they will hopefully never die from being laminated across the tarmac by a car, or torn apart by someone's dog. They'll never get kicked or punched by a passing stranger, or pick up poison bait on their travels. They'll also never scratch my neighbours' cars, piss and crap in their flower beds, spray piss on their front or back doors, wind their dogs up, fight and scream in the small hours of the morning or contract FIV, FeLV, herpes, chlamydia or any of the other wandering-cat diseases.

It's not a hard mindset shift to make, but I find it usually needs the death of, or injury to, a pet to give some people the kick in the ass they need to make the shift.

:sleep:

Oh dear Chubbsie you persist in being disrespectful.SpotTheDog put forward some great advice and all you can come up with is :sleep: The advice I've been given in the short time I have been on this forum has been invaluable so why are you here?

When he does finally die, from whatever cause, I will know that he's had a great life, rolling around in the garden in the sun and sharpening his claws on the trees.

My six cats also have a great life, rolling around in my garden and sharpening their claws on the tree. They pester the geckos and chomp grasshoppers. They stalk the birds but are unsuccessful because there is only one tree, the birds stay in the uppermost branches and the mynah birds sound the alert every time the cats move.

And because of a combination of oscillot fence-proofing plus inclined bird netting with cheap L-brackets, they will hopefully never die from being laminated across the tarmac by a car, or torn apart by someone's dog. They'll never get kicked or punched by a passing stranger, or pick up poison bait on their travels. They'll also never scratch my neighbours' cars, piss and crap in their flower beds, spray piss on their front or back doors, wind their dogs up, fight and scream in the small hours of the morning or contract FIV, FeLV, herpes, chlamydia or any of the other wandering-cat diseases.

It's not a hard mindset shift to make, but I find it usually needs the death of, or injury to, a pet to give some people the kick in the ass they need to make the shift.

Oh dear Chubbsie you persist in being disrespectful.SpotTheDog put forward some great advice and all you can come up with is :sleep: The advice I've been given in the short time I have been on this forum has been invaluable so why are you here?

Disrespectful??....what, I should show respect for the posters on here dictating to me in a rude and domineering manner how I should think and what I should do, with MY cat? How about a bit of respect for those with different opinions, even if you don't agree with them.

I didn't come here for advice. I was merely expressing my opinion about keeping cats inside their whole life, and I'm entitled to do that. If you don't agree with letting cats outside, then don't do it. Just don't try and bully those who have a different point of view.

No-one here told you what to do with your cat.

Peace of mind posted a news story, and the rest of us engaged in discussion about and shared their various experiences. And yes, voiced generalised opinions. You were the one that took that personally and got defensive, self righteous and arrogant about your own choices in cat ownership. :shrug:

Or trapped and killed. So we're back to the original theme. I like cats, yet my dogs can and do kill any wandering cat that comes into my secure backyard. The law covers me for that.

And the original article should be another warning to the owners of wandering cats. There are plenty of people out there prepared to do the same, and they are legally allowed to.

So that make is alright does it, to let your dogs kill another living creature which poses no threat to them? What a charmer.

So that make is alright does it, to let your dogs kill another living creature which poses no threat to them? What a charmer.

Hey, weren't you just complaining about people being disrespectful.

Are you saying your roaming cat wouldn't kill another living creature which poses no threat to it? Or advocating that people keep their cat killing dogs indoors so that your little puss can safely wander in their yards and do all the lovely things that wandering cats do?

Get real!

I dont see anyone saying its alright if there dogs were to kill a cat that wondered into their yard. Dog owners cant watch their dogs 24/7 to ensure cats arnt killed on their property.

I have Sighthounds and SBT's that would dispose of a cat in an instant in our yards. One of mine has killed a cat before, we put it's body in the bin and said no more about it.

If a cat comes into our yard and is killed, there's not much I can do about that.

You are right about not being able to watch them 24/7 but we have fences that keep our dogs in and that's all we can do.

And the original article should be another warning to the

owners of wandering cats. There are plenty of people out there prepared to do the same, and they are legally allowed to.

Yep. Keep YOUR pet in YOUR yard. Simple :)

You seem to be forgetting that your actions effect others, or you just dont care, either way you need to know that nobody wants your cat, probably full of FIV and who knows what else on their property.

Edited by Aussie3

Guest lavendergirl

Disrespectful??....what, I should show respect for the posters on here dictating to me in a rude and domineering manner how I should think and what I should do, with MY cat? How about a bit of respect for those with different opinions, even if you don't agree with them.

I didn't come here for advice. I was merely expressing my opinion about keeping cats inside their whole life, and I'm entitled to do that. If you don't agree with letting cats outside, then don't do it. Just don't try and bully those who have a different point of view.

And when your local Council brings in a law restricting cats to your own property what will you call it then?? If it wasn't considered a societal problem to let cats wander why do you think these laws are being introduced by various councils around the country?

Sick to death of wandering cats (and dogs for that matter) killing every small animal that moves, peeing and crapping in inappropriate places, potentially being a vector for the spread of disease and parasites and adding to the feral population as many aren't even desexed in a timely fashion. Also not impressed that my cats and dogs get stressed by the wanderers. No more excuse for letting a cat wander than a dog, horse or anything else. You don't want to keep it inside fine then secure your yard so it stays at home.

Also annoys me that we are getting limits put on the number of animals we can keep not because of responsible owners whose pets do not impact on others but because of irresponsible owners who let their animals roam, bark continuously etc.

And I have taken wandering cats to the pound - and no doubt will do so again. These animals aren't lost they are continually allowed to roam the neighbourhood causing problems. They end up in the pound through their owners negligence. You want a pet you accept responsibility for it and you keep it under control.

Edited by Mags

Chubbsie if your cat, which you feel along with all other cats deserves to live the life outside and wander free, decides in its wanderings to visit my backyard, and my dogs kill it, whose fault would it be? Your or mine?

(not taking the piss-genuine question)

My dogs live with my cats but I honestly don't know what they would do if a strange cat came into the yard. I suspect they might kill it, but I don't know. I would be devastated if that happened, but it wouldn't be my fault.

I hope that councils start to get with the programme on this issue sooner rather than later. I for one will be happy to see cat owners having to be more accountable for their pets when they start to have to pay fines for their pet's wandering.

And yes, I do own a cat, and no, it is not able to roam.

And if my dogs do kill a cat in our back yard, too bad. Not something I want to see but it is also not something I will lose a lot of sleep over.