Bendigo Man Threatens To Kill Pet Cats If They Wander Into His Yard

Peace_Of_Mind

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or trapped and killed. So we're back to the original theme. I like cats, yet my dogs can and do kill any wandering cat that comes into my secure backyard. The law covers me for that.

And the original article should be another warning to the owners of wandering cats. There are plenty of people out there prepared to do the same, and they are legally allowed to.

So that make is alright does it, to let your dogs kill another living creature which poses no threat to them? What a charmer.

Isn't that what your wandering cat would do to the local wildlife???

ETA at least these dogs are contained on their own property...

Edited by Staffyluv

Or trapped and killed. So we're back to the original theme. I like cats, yet my dogs can and do kill any wandering cat that comes into my secure backyard. The law covers me for that.

And the original article should be another warning to the owners of wandering cats. There are plenty of people out there prepared to do the same, and they are legally allowed to.

So that make is alright does it, to let your dogs kill another living creature which poses no threat to them? What a charmer.

Isn't that what your wandering cat would do to the local wildlife???

ETA at least these dogs are contained on their own property...

I have 2 dogs and 4 cats. They all get along amazingly.

If another cat came into my yard it would be lucky to get out. My dogs are great with THEIR cats, not others cats. And while it would break my heart for them to kill a cat (has not happened so far) i would not be angry at them for it.

My neighbour told me years ago it was good my dogs liked cats as she was getting a new kitten and at least she wont have to stress if it comes into my yard. I told her what i said above, my dogs like their cats and no one elses. And if she got a cat it better stay out of the yard

She never got her cat because she is unable to keep it inside. She does come over from time to time and gets her cat fix from my lot. Works well for me!

No one wants to see any animal killed or hurt but as owners of companion animals it is our responsibility (when we get them) to make sure they are safe and do not interfere with others lives...

I trapped a couple here and took them to the pound because I was sick of them spraying all over my deck garden.

Yes I felt bad for taking them to the pound but I hope their owners were responsible enough to collect them and learn from the experience - I would do it again...

My dogs don't interfere with others and I don't appreciate others animals here on my property either.

We shoot feral cats at our place. They are a threat to already diminishing native reptiles, birds and mammals in our area.

I don't feel any guilt for that, better to die quickly than for one of our dogs to catch one.

Not having that option in Alice Springs when we lived there, I obtained a trap from the council and caught our neighbours cat who had been climbing all over our car and pooing in my sons sandpit. My husband diplomatically returned the cat to the owners and said next time it would be taken to the pound, and they of course assured us it wouldn't happen again... I bet you can all guess what happened.

I know of people who keep their cats indoors or in enclosed backyards, and I applaud the REAL effort to be a responsible pet owner rather than insisting kitty has a right to do as it pleases wherever it pleases.

Like others have said, I hope it is comfy under your bridge chubbsie

Speaking of wandering cats, did anyone pick up the BBC science news clip relating to toxoplasmosis and schizophrenia?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01061hk .

Your wandering cat could literally be driving the neighbours crazy.

I missed that one, but have seen first hand the effects of toxoplasmosis on wildlife as it causes lingering symptoms and death in marsupials. I also used to know someone who was mostly blind from birth, and medically toxoplasma in their mother while pregnant was suspected to be the cause.

So the issue of wandering cats crapping in people's gardens, particularly vege gardens, takes on a whole new sinister twist.

I know most people don't like roaming cats and I have read alot of your points of view and I respect everyone's opinions.

Some weeks ago I wrote about a little grey cat that I found in the front part of the garden of my building and looked a little timid, but it eventually let me pat him/her.

Anyway this morning whilst having breakfast I noticed the same cat walk by my balcony. Again a little shy and it took me about a few minutes to him/her feel comfortable and safe with me.

Once we had sorted out that I was OK, the little cat was so friendly and purring away. Let her inside for a little bit and then took some snap shots - see below:-

I have been told she lives a few houses down and is new to the neighbourhood.

smallpiture1.jpg

smallpicture2.jpg

smallpicture3.jpg

I am not sure how that story is relevant to this thread POM, lots of cats are lovely, still doesn't mean they should be wandering around. Probably they only thing that cats that are allowed to roam have in their favour in terms of survival is their natural weariness towards strangers. By befriending them you take that away.

This thread just boggles the mind.

What gives some people the right to believe that their cat can enter my property, deffacate in my yard, harrass the wildlife that my family have spent time and money transforming our yard into a area that is safe and welcoming for them, lie just outside the perimeter of our fence and drive my dog nuts, keep us all up at night with their fighting and mating calls right under our bedroom window, sunbake in the middle of the road and make cars stop and drive around them. All this happens in our street because some of our neighbours have the same selfish attitude of 'my cats enjoy the outdoors'. I am sure my dog would also love the freedom of wandering at will but too bad. If everyone was responsible for their own animals and took the attitude that they would ensure that their choice to own a cat/dog does not impact on anyone else there would be alot less neighborhood disputes, dog bites and dead cats being scraped off roads.

My best friend has had ongoing problems with her neighbours cats for years. This culminated in her own indoor cat and the neighbours cat having a go at eachother through the front security door. When she opened the door to shoo the cat away she was very badly attacked and her legs were ripped to shreds. This ended in infection and a hospital stay, time off work and lost income. As bad as this was it would have been alot worse if it happened to be one of her 3 children that opened the door.

Roaming cats do cause harm. Some people need to grow up and be accountable.

Edited by sujo

Speaking of wandering cats, did anyone pick up the BBC science news clip relating to toxoplasmosis and schizophrenia?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01061hk .

Most Australians will test positive to toxo because we live in close proximity to agriculture. Does that mean we'll all end up with late onset schizophrenia? That's the BBC palming off mad cows' disease in England :laugh: .

Even so - contain your cats. I take no responsibility if a wandering cat comes in my yard and my dogs kill it and I'm certainly not going to swerve to hit a cat on the road in the middle of the night and risk wrapping myself around a pole. If your wandering cat dies - too bad. Keep the bloody thing indoors!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b01061hk .

Most Australians will test positive to toxo because we live in close proximity to agriculture. Does that mean we'll all end up with late onset schizophrenia? That's the BBC palming off mad cows' disease in England :laugh: .

Even so - contain your cats. I take no responsibility if a wandering cat comes in my yard and my dogs kill it and I'm certainly not going to swerve to hit a cat on the road in the middle of the night and risk wrapping myself around a pole. If your wandering cat dies - too bad. Keep the bloody thing indoors!

There are a lot more mad humans out there than mad cows :D. Who knows. The case for damage in marsupials, which Aloysha pointed out, is solid.

J Comp Pathol. 1990 Aug;103(2):159-67.

Lesions of toxoplasmosis in Australian marsupials.

Canfield PJ, Hartley WJ, Dubey JP.

Source

Veterinary Quarantine Centre, Taronga Zoo, Mosman, N.S.W. Australia.

Abstract

This report describes toxoplasmosis lesions in Australian marsupials. Clinical signs, necropsy findings and histopathological changes are summarized for 43 macropods, two common wombats, two koalas, six possums, 15 dasyurids, two numbats, eight bandicoots and one bilby. Animals either died suddenly without clinical signs or exhibited signs associated with respiratory, neurological or enteric disease. At necropsy, many marsupials had no visible lesions. Where present, common necropsy findings included pulmonary congestion, oedema and consolidation, adrenal enlargement and reddening, haemorrhage and ulceration of stomach and small intestine, and lymphadenomegaly and splenomegaly. Microscopically, affected lungs showed interstitial pneumonia and macrophage accumulation. Myocardial, skeletal and smooth muscle necrosis and neutrophilic inflammation were common. Organs had focal necrosis and/or fibrosis and lymphoid infiltrates. Toxoplasma gondii tissue cysts were common in muscle and nervous tissue. Free tachyzoites were commonly present in areas of necrosis. Selected sections from four macropods, two koalas, two dasyurids, one wombat and one possum stained specifically with avidin-biotin complex and anti-Toxoplasma gondii serum.

Another study found 15% of Western greys around Perth were infected . . . higher incidence where there are more cats.

Edited by sandgrubber

There are a lot more mad humans out there than mad cows :D.

Sure so send them all to Bendigo. I'm sure 'the Bendigo man' will take care of them if they spray on his doors, crap in his garden, kill native wildlife for fun, have cat fights in the middle of the night with other mad humans and roll on the tarmac infront of passing cars.

There are a lot more mad humans out there than mad cows :D.

Sure so send them all to Bendigo. I'm sure 'the Bendigo man' will take care of them if they spray on his doors, crap in his garden, kill native wildlife for fun, have cat fights in the middle of the night with other mad humans and roll on the tarmac infront of passing cars.

What? You don't think we have enough crazies living here already? :laugh:

Clearly you don't keep up with our local news. :laugh:

I am not sure if i posted this on here or not when it happened.

a Few months ago i was driving home, it was after dark.

I drove past a little black cat who was killed on the road, he was still in themiddle of the street.

I got home and i couldnt stop thinking of him to turned around, i was going to move him off the road so if the owners came out to find him he wouldnt be squished to the road and they could find him laying on someones front lawn in stead.

I drove over and parked and got out and went to grab him

He was still alive :cry: :cry: :cry:

He must have been in so much pain, he went nuts and tried to attack me, i managed to get him into my car where he was fitting and screaming. I got him home first and into the bathroom. I run the vets who said to keep an eye on him and see how he goes and bring him in if he got worse. Within about 10 mins he was having massive fits, i tried to snuggle him up but his fitting wouldnt allow it, i was a total mess and rung mum to come get us and drive us to the vets.

He fitted again and hit his head on the floor pretty hard.

We picked him up with him screaming in pain and rushed him to the vets. They took one look at him and said he had to be PTS

So i just want to say to those who think it is ok to have their pets roaming that i hope one day the above does not happen to your cat. I still have nightmares about it and wish i could find the owners and slap them for letting this little one roam. Because of them he suffered a horrifying death.

I also wont swerve if i see an animal, i will slow down if possible but wont swerve. As heart breaking as the end may be for that animal, it would be horrible if i ran into another car and killed a person.

At least i know my cats (the ones who are unhappy and living horrible lives inside) will never ever have to suffer this way.

Your posts drip with hypocrisy, Chubbsie. I suggest you sit back and actually learn something, rather than reply to experienced posters with inflammatory, p!ss-taking emoticons.

What, like this one? :rolleyes:

I'm not really sure what you mean by that, but it's not particularly constructive. You really need to fix your attitude problem.

I am not sure if i posted this on here or not when it happened.

a Few months ago i was driving home, it was after dark.

I drove past a little black cat who was killed on the road, he was still in themiddle of the street.

I got home and i couldnt stop thinking of him to turned around, i was going to move him off the road so if the owners came out to find him he wouldnt be squished to the road and they could find him laying on someones front lawn in stead.

I drove over and parked and got out and went to grab him

He was still alive :cry: :cry: :cry:

He must have been in so much pain, he went nuts and tried to attack me, i managed to get him into my car where he was fitting and screaming. I got him home first and into the bathroom. I run the vets who said to keep an eye on him and see how he goes and bring him in if he got worse. Within about 10 mins he was having massive fits, i tried to snuggle him up but his fitting wouldnt allow it, i was a total mess and rung mum to come get us and drive us to the vets.

He fitted again and hit his head on the floor pretty hard.

We picked him up with him screaming in pain and rushed him to the vets. They took one look at him and said he had to be PTS

So i just want to say to those who think it is ok to have their pets roaming that i hope one day the above does not happen to your cat. I still have nightmares about it and wish i could find the owners and slap them for letting this little one roam. Because of them he suffered a horrifying death.

I also wont swerve if i see an animal, i will slow down if possible but wont swerve. As heart breaking as the end may be for that animal, it would be horrible if i ran into another car and killed a person.

At least i know my cats (the ones who are unhappy and living horrible lives inside) will never ever have to suffer this way.

I'm so sorry you had to experience that Teebs. :( I have been in a similar boat where the cat in question was still alive; although thankfully it didn't take long to die. It is a shocking experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I am not sure how that story is relevant to this thread POM, lots of cats are lovely, still doesn't mean they should be wandering around. Probably they only thing that cats that are allowed to roam have in their favour in terms of survival is their natural weariness towards strangers. By befriending them you take that away.

Thanks for your comments – my post was not so much about the issue of cats being allowed to roam, rather just sharing my experience of yesterday morning and photos of a cute cat :)