If Your Dog Bit Your Face

HugUrPup

My friend had plastic surgery to repair a wound from her JRT biting her face.

He was outside being his usual aggressive self and she went out to shut him up. When she picked him up, he "accidentally" bit her and she pulled away making the tooth rip through her flesh beneath her nose all the way through her top lip.

Now, she shouldn't have gone behind him and picked him up and it was an accident, however, he is an aggressive dog.

If he wasn't being aggressive and barking, snarling and growling at whatever it was he had seen, then the incident wouldn't have happened.

People are scared to visit the house because of this little terror, but there is an 11 year old child living there who loves him. My friend can't keep her from going outside to play with him but she doesn't want to re-home him or PTS.

I told her there is a JRT rescue group in Vic and they may be able to help get him into a home with people who know the breed well, but she has decided to try and get him trained herself.

I worry the dog is going to take out a child's eye. I have told her daughter to never ever pick him up and to always bend down to pat him or pat her lap when sitting to get him to stand for a pat. Unfortunately there are going to be situations where other kids are going to be around this dog.

I fear the worst.

What would you do in this situation?

I would PTS :o

Edited by HugUrPup

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Afraid I would agree with you on this one. I was bitten by my daughters JRT x and finished up in hospital having surgery on my Thumb due to infection reaching the bone. I now have no movement in my thumb. Re-homing this dog would always have me wondering in case it did do this again to a child. :(

i was coming in here to tell a story about the night my dally bit my child.

they were wrestling on the floor and getting very rough as a 12yo and a 18mo dally can be... next thing the dog turns child sort of head buts the dog while his mouth is open. his face was bleeding and and required a trip to casuality... to get glued up.

it was wrong place at the wrong time.

it sounds like this jrt was wrong place wrong time... but he is like most jrt who have their own way a lot... they tend to take charge.

as a child i was attacked by dad foxie rabbiting dog... i did nothing wrong but the dog was aggressive and lived out his life here, but outside our house yard he was chained up as he frankly could not be trusted. so if your friend wants to keep the dog she needs to contain him so her child is safe... a dog run might be the answer here.

Edited by voloclydes

as a child i was attacked by dad foxie rabbiting dog... i did nothing wrong but the dog was aggressive and lived out his life here, but outside our house yard he was chained up as he frankly could not be trusted. so if your friend wants to keep the dog she needs to contain him so her child is safe... a dog run might be the answer here.

She plans on keeping him outside..she doesn't trust him, but her daughter does go out there when Mums back is turned.

Edited by HugUrPup

I also wouldn't rehome a dog like that.

I don't think it's fair to call the dog "nasty". There are many reasons why dogs act aggressively, and I think she is doing the right thing by having a behaviourial assessment. Dogs like that need training and I'm surprised she hasn't gotten professional help before now.

This is hard

What I'd want to do is retrain owner and dog. Together. Because there is no point rehoming the dog as is because it's dangerous. And the owner's way of dealing with barking and aggression - clearly doesn't work either.

I recently got slightly chewed on the arm by a lab puppy and I held still or pushed whatever I could manage. But pulling away is the worst thing you can do.

For that JRT - instead of picking it up, I'd have used a water pistol - ideally targetted close but not on the dog as a distraction.

But given where it's at - if it's a Sydney dog - I'd invite Steve Courtney to recommend a plan and if they can't afford that - tell him - he may have some ideas or PTS.

JRT are smart dogs. He is the way he is because it works for him. Just need to change that. I would find it hard to PTS a dog who did something I thought was all my fault. ie never play tug with my dog in the dark...

Obviously if re-homing the JRT rescue group would match the dog to a family with no children and who could try to fix his issues.

I think it's idealistic and unrealistic to think that there are that many homes out there wanting and experienced enough to take on a dog with aggression issues.

Is that fair on the dog to live in a pen with a padlock for 10 or so years? :confused:

Who says the dog has to live like that :confused: Has the dog had a professional behaviourial assessment?

LOL huski, there are humans in this world who are aggressive and I call them worse than just nasty ;)

I don't like the dog.. never have.

Lots of people don't like dogs with behaviourial issues, but that doesn't mean that they are bad dogs that are beyond help.

I cant believe you suggested JRT rescue. Why make them do the job of putting this dog to sleep?

I am not sure if i would. If it was an 'accident' then i dont think so, but if as you say he is that aggressive then yes i would. in a heart beat

LOL huski, there are humans in this world who are aggressive and I call them worse than just nasty ;)

I don't like the dog.. never have.

Lots of people don't like dogs with behaviourial issues, but that doesn't mean that they are bad dogs that are beyond help.

True but some are.

This is hard

What I'd want to do is retrain owner and dog. Together. Because there is no point rehoming the dog as is because it's dangerous. And the owner's way of dealing with barking and aggression - clearly doesn't work either.

I recently got slightly chewed on the arm by a lab puppy and I held still or pushed whatever I could manage. But pulling away is the worst thing you can do.

For that JRT - instead of picking it up, I'd have used a water pistol - ideally targetted close but not on the dog as a distraction.

But given where it's at - if it's a Sydney dog - I'd invite Steve Courtney to recommend a plan and if they can't afford that - tell him - he may have some ideas or PTS.

JRT are smart dogs. He is the way he is because it works for him. Just need to change that. I would find it hard to PTS a dog who did something I thought was all my fault. ie never play tug with my dog in the dark...

Yep you are exactly right.. she blames herself. Like I said though.. he is aggressive and even though this was an accident, I have no doubt it would have happened to someone eventually. She uses a water pistol and has done for a few months, but he likes it.. he tries to catch the water in his mouth LOL I have told her to try citronella in future.

On a side note.. she had the plastic surgery 2 weeks ago and you can hardly see a mark at all :eek: surgeons do a fantastic job these days.

I cant believe you suggested JRT rescue. Why make them do the job of putting this dog to sleep?

I am not sure if i would. If it was an 'accident' then i dont think so, but if as you say he is that aggressive then yes i would. in a heart beat

They know the breed and have people who want the breed. If they don't want to take a dog like that on then they say no.. simple.

She is in the process of getting a behavioural assessment..