If Your Dog Bit Your Face

HugUrPup

Is that fair on the dog to live in a pen with a padlock for 10 or so years? :confused:

When the there is someone in the yard that the dog is a risk to - the kid or visiting kids or when there is no-one home then pen and padlock. Personally I strongly reccommend any dog has a pen in the yard in the event of partys or visiting kids and generally space away from people. Aslo a good practice if a dog is outside at night to be confined - it will be a safe place for the dog. The agro JRT can be managed fairly if it must be kept.

If the dog is by nature a cranky animal and actively uses agression without provocation IMHO he is an unreliable dog to have anywhere around kids and others and should be PTS sorry if that sounds harsh.

Edited by Tapua

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see plenty of advertisements by rescue groups which mention that the particular dog would not suit a home with children - and they are not small delicate dogs. I have also seen cases where dogs have been PTS for reacting to a child's rough handling or abuse by nipping or snapping. Do we expect too much of dogs in certain circumstances - that they do not have any instinctive reaction to being hurt or threatened?

Yeah I believe we do expect too much at times.

For that reason I would never have a dog PTS because it defended itself against rough handling or anything that caused it pain.

Just heard on the news that a family dog has scalped a 4 year old and the child is fighting for life. Breed at this time unknown. How can anyone afford to take the risk whether the dog was defending itself or not.

I was under the impression we were referring to a dog maybe snapping at a child who caused a dog pain, not a dog mauling a child severely. In my mind there's a difference.

The OP stated that the dog is aggressive, so one could easily graduate from snapping to more if that way way inclined. I mean, how much leeway do we allow?

I see plenty of advertisements by rescue groups which mention that the particular dog would not suit a home with children - and they are not small delicate dogs. I have also seen cases where dogs have been PTS for reacting to a child's rough handling or abuse by nipping or snapping. Do we expect too much of dogs in certain circumstances - that they do not have any instinctive reaction to being hurt or threatened?

For that reason I would never have a dog PTS because it defended itself against rough handling or anything that caused it pain.

Just heard on the news that a family dog has scalped a 4 year old and the child is fighting for life. Breed at this time unknown. How can anyone afford to take the risk whether the dog was defending itself or not.

I was under the impression we were referring to a dog maybe snapping at a child who caused a dog pain, not a dog mauling a child severely. In my mind there's a difference.

The OP stated that the dog is aggressive, so one could easily graduate from snapping to more if that way way inclined. I mean, how much leeway do we allow?

The OP states that it is aggressive, in her rather biased opinion.

From what was described it could easily have been bad handling and judgement on the owners part. We will never know.

The OP states that it is aggressive, in her rather biased opinion.

From what was described it could easily have been bad handling and judgement on the owners part. We will never know.

Exactly, picking a dog up and holding it near ones face while it is going off is a very dangerous thing to do, I'm not excusing the behaviour but I feel there are a lot of considerations to be taken into account in any instance of aggression.

It's not always black and white I guess is all I'm saying.

Yeh but if you re read her initial post, she says the dog is aggressive as it barks and growls at things near his yard. Plenty of dogs do this. My Pug is a champion of barking and growling at things outside but he doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Knowing the OP's history with breed choices/preferences I would say they don't have much experience with more protective/active breeds. The dog in question is a terrier which are reknowed for having spunk and a bit feisty.

In an ideal world perhaps. I am not referring to just rough play. The trouble occurs when the adults are just as stupid and vicious as the kids who torment the dogs - it does happen - and then the dog is PTS. There have been cases - even reported on these pages - where the dog is tied up in the back yard and tormented by kids - no chance for the dog to get away there.

We don't live in an ideal world. :confused: I was responding to your question as to whether we expect too much from dogs.

The right thing to do is to supervise children with dogs so that they are not to rough, and so the dog always has a chance to walk away. It's just the right thing to do.

If people do the wrong thing, a dog gets tormented and it can't escape it might bite. That is very sad because it means that the dog has learned to use aggression to harm people, and regardless of whose fault it is, the dog is now a lot more dangerous than it ever was before. Just because it isn't the dog's fault doesn't make that dog any less dangerous to have around.

If we lived in an ideal world all dogs would be nice, people would be nice to dogs, and all parents would supervise. But we don't, and and dogs will be euthanised as a result. You can't turn back the clock, if people ruin a dog and it turns aggressive, it's dangerous to have around.

Yeh but if you re read her initial post, she says the dog is aggressive as it barks and growls at things near his yard. Plenty of dogs do this. My Pug is a champion of barking and growling at things outside but he doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Knowing the OP's history with breed choices/preferences I would say they don't have much experience with more protective/active breeds. The dog in question is a terrier which are reknowed for having spunk and a bit feisty.

I don't think Ollie was psychically able to bark and snowl, he was great at making snuffly grunting noises though :rofl:

My dogs have all been sweet quiet little angels (bar one). I have come across many a feisty terrier, but this one is more of a terror. Just because I like the sweet quiet ones in my home, doesn't mean I don't like any terrier with a bit of feistiness.

This dog barks at people who knock on the front door.. he can see them and even if he knows them, he will show his teeth and drool with his hackles up ready to rip their faces off. He is more than just feisty.

Edited by HugUrPup

I don't think Ollie was psychically able to bark and snowl, he was great at making snuffly grunting noises though :rofl:

My dogs have all been sweet quiet little angels (bar one). I have come across many a feisty terrier, but this one is more of a terror. Just because I like the sweet quiet ones in my home, doesn't mean I don't like any terrier with a bit of feistiness.

This dog barks at people who knock on the front door.. he can see them and even if he knows them, he will show his teeth and drool with his hackles up ready to rip their faces off. He is more than just feisty.

Archie doesn't know how to bark either, well if what you might call a bark, he's done twice in the time we've had him, but otherwise he makes all sorts of noises, mostly high pitched weird cry noises. :rofl:

But yes I have had dogs bark and be protective of territory and thats fine. But if I had a dog that bit or growled because I picked it up....unless there was an obvious reason for it...then I'd PTS, I'd never keep a dog I couldn't trust.

Lynn

But yes I have had dogs bark and be protective of territory and thats fine. But if I had a dog that bit or growled because I picked it up....unless there was an obvious reason for it...then I'd PTS, I'd never keep a dog I couldn't trust.

Lynn

But the owner picked him up from behind, frightening him, when he was already in a mode of protection of his territory. I don't like truly aggressive dogs but think that sometimes we need to look at it on a case by case situation. My little Shih Tzu will bite if someone picks her up the wrong way and hurts or frightens her, yet she is an awesome dog and very affectionate and loving. She bit my daughter on the face years ago and will bite/growl and try to bite if my daughter were to try to take something from her. There is no way I would consider putting her to sleep for something which can be managed. She is absolutely fine with my daughter and sleeps on her bed etc, my daughter just knows the rules now and they have grown up together with no other incidences. I also have a large dog here who I don't trust with visitors so I simply lock her away when people come over. I feel sad for this little dog as I think it's just a management issue and he doesn't deserve to die for one mistake which was clearly an judgement error at the time. The dog is happily living with a child with no previous incidents.

Somehow I don't think this discussion would be having the airing it's getting if the dog in question were of a larger breed... hmmm??

From all the OP has stated here in this thread, this particular dog is a fairly savage little piece of work... and it may be the kindest thing for him to "rest" now. It's got to be a tormented life feeling that he always has to be on his guard like that...

T.

All on the say so of the OP :confused:

Who clearly has a limited understanding of aggression going from her posts here. I am constantly surprised at the number of DOLers who will happily make an assessment on a dog's aggressive behaviour having never seen the the dog themselves. Who knows how easily the dog's issues could be managed or fixed.

Edited by huski

Somehow I don't think this discussion would be having the airing it's getting if the dog in question were of a larger breed... hmmm??

From all the OP has stated here in this thread, this particular dog is a fairly savage little piece of work... and it may be the kindest thing for him to "rest" now. It's got to be a tormented life feeling that he always has to be on his guard like that...

T.

All of my dogs will carry one like that when people arrive, put your hand over my fence and you will more than likely be bitten. They're not living tormented lives.

Maybe I haven't read the thread properly, and for that I aplogise and will go back through it. But all I have gleaned is that the dogs barks and growls when people arrive. He was barking at something he saw as a threat near his back yard and his owner came along behind him, startled him and picked him up. His tooth got caught and a snap turned in to a tearing of skin. Dog has not ever bitten before and happily lives with a child. i'm sorry, I am all for euthing aggressive dogs but he has no history of biting, sure he is a territorial little turd but so are loads of dogs. The dog is safely contained within his home and not a menace to the general public. The owner seems astute enough to realise that the dog must be locked away when she has visitors.

It’s interesting reading the various opinions in this thread. I can recall a debate I have had in the past about a little Pug that I re-homed that was dog aggressive (yes, it seems it can occur on the occasion in the breed) and I was told I should have euthanased her. :laugh:

I am not sure anyone can make a reasonable judgement on such scant information that was given here and we all hold our own opinions on what is right and wrong when it comes to aggression in dogs. I maintain that size, breed and circumstance play a huge role and there is no 'one rule fits all' in these debates.

I maintain that size, breed and circumstance play a huge role and there is no 'one rule fits all' in these debates.

I agree. I know it's not a popular thought and the whole 'all dog have teeth' thing always gets brought up - but realistically a small dog is more easily managed and the damage is less.

I maintain that size, breed and circumstance play a huge role and there is no 'one rule fits all' in these debates.

I agree. I know it's not a popular thought and the whole 'all dog have teeth' thing always gets brought up - but realistically a small dog is more easily managed and the damage is less.

Exactly and it was this line of thought, along with many other onsiderations, that went into my decision when weighing up the possibilities and future of the little Pug.

T.

All of my dogs will carry one like that when people arrive, put your hand over my fence and you will more than likely be bitten. They're not living tormented lives

Maybe I haven't read the thread properly, and for that I aplogise and will go back through it. But all I have gleaned is that the dogs barks and growls when people arrive. He was barking at something he saw as a threat near his back yard and his owner came along behind him, startled him and picked him up. His tooth got caught and a snap turned in to a tearing of skin. Dog has not ever bitten before and happily lives with a child. i'm sorry, I am all for euthing aggressive dogs but he has no history of biting, sure he is a territorial little turd but so are loads of dogs. The dog is safely contained within his home and not a menace to the general public. The owner seems astute enough to realise that the dog must be locked away when she has visitors.

Totally agree

Clyde you are right.. the owner picked up the dog in the wrong way. The dog still needs intensive training or to be PTS.. it was going to happen.

Put it this way.. I was in QLD when it happened. My friend just text me a pic of her face.. no explanation of what happened and I replied saying: The dog bit you didn't it...

Edited by HugUrPup