A Sad Day Today

Huntia

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How sad :(. I don't know what happened, but regardless, the loss felt would be the same and we all know how sharp and hard that is. RIP little one .... meet my Kal (bhcs) who awaits me at the bridge, to look after you until one day you and your owner are in time re-united.

My condolences for your loss, Huntia.

Thank you to everyone for your kind thoughts and wishes. It has been a very tough couple of days. :cry:

On Saturday morning we went to town, we were gone for 2 hours, when we got home (we live on a farm)

only the 2 older dogs were in the yard, straight away we knew something was wrong as the puppy Cherry is always with the older dogs.

When we found her, at first I suspected snake bite, as she was laying down and not moving, so I rang the vet and rushed her to town.

She had not been bitten by a snake, but had broken her neck between the c1 and c2 in a freakish accident while we were away.

Her xrays were fowarded onto SASH in Sydney and the prognosis/diagnosis they gave was the worst case scenario for us, so we said goodbye to our beautiful girl.

Thank goodness I have a friend who is a vet (not working at present as her 3rd child is due in 2weeks) who was able to step in and take control of the case. The vet on duty while absolutley lovely is only a first year grad and jsut didn't have the experience to deal with what was wrong with Cherry.

My friend, at my request came and looked at Cherry and reccommended that the xrays be sent away for diagnosis, as it wasn't clear cut on the xrays to them how bad she actually was. (without her we could have been waitng until this morning when the owner/vet came back to work for a final diagnosis :eek: )

My friend through her connections was able to finally get a diagnosis from the SASH vets (I got Cherry to town at 12pm and the final diagnosis from SASH came through at 4.30 ish.

Best case scenario was that she would recover with immobilisation and rest, next best scenario was recovery with an operation, worst case..... :(

The vets at SASH when they finally gave us their diagnosis said they were surprised she was still breathing. ( i still had hope for a miracle at this time because she could move her back legs and could respond to deep pain,) The xrays from top view looked fine, from the side there was an upward or downwards shift of the C1 C2.

Their diagnosis was that they could operate if we got her down to Sydney straight away (minimum 3 hours) but the prognosis was "guarded" at best. If she did survive the trip and than the op, she would have a 2-3 week stay in the hospital with the cast to stay on another 8-12 weeks after that with minimal movement, and they could not say what her quality of life would be like.

If they had of told me that they could operate, and it would have been a success, we would have taken her down there in a heart beat no matter the cost. But as it was we could not put her through that. She was in so much pain....the screams when ever she tried to move her head or her head was moved will haunt me for a long time. The look of trust that she gave me as i held her while they gave the injection still is breaking my heart. :cry:

Sorry for my convoluted ravings about her. :( I miss her. My boy dog misses her, he is so quiet at the moment, and gives little whimper cries when he does lie down. She was his best mate :(

Huntia I am so very sorry to hear that. A broken neck or back is my fear with my WHippets as I have seen them hit things at speed and sommersault through the air.

What a brave little girl your Cherry was. Thank goodness your friend could help get a diagnosis more quickly for you and Cherry.

For what it is worth I would have done exactly the same thing as you in that position. To keep and active young puppy immobile for those periods of time would be inpossible, then with no idea of long term recovery you made the best choice.

RIP little Cherry, no more pain, running and playign and waiting at the Rainbow bridge.

:grouphug: to your and your family Huntia

Edited by OSoSwift

Oh huntia :( and gorgeous Cherry *hugs*

You mention the look of trust she gave you when she had the final injection, well I think she trusted you to do the best for her and that's exactly what you did, so do not feel guilty. Her life may have been short but it was sounds like she was happy and much loved xx

Edited by Saxonpup