Do You Think They Understand...

Puppybella

I know this might be anthropomorphising a little, but still...we think dogs understand our emotions like when we're sad and that sort of thing, but...

I've often wondered if they understand when we're sorry about something, like if we accidentally hurt them such as standing on a paw or a tail, or can't let them do/have something they really want. With all this wet weather it was time for a bath on the weekend, and while manoeuvering Bella into the shower I somehow managed to 'kick' her in the head. I immediately got down and gave her a cuddle and soothed in a positive tone of voice, to which she responded by licking me all over. I felt so awful but she seemed to understand it was an accident.

But, thinking in training terms, I still wonder if positive voice reinforcement to something like that is taken as a reward for how they react to being hurt...if that makes sense.

So what do you think, do they understand if we're sorry or something is an accident?

:o I don't 'apologise' to my dogs if they happen to be in the way of my feet/walking stick/chair ....and yes, I believe dogs easily sense changes in human emotions, etc

.They are very good at reading body language, and working out what different voice tones/scents we produce mean.

Dogs make excellent service dogs /alert dogs because they can sense when things are about to change , for example someone who suffers from panic attacks..or epilepsy, or very unstable blood sugar levels .Trained dogs are terrific at reading the human body :)

I dont think dogs empathise as such but I do know they are very astute to body language and tones in your voice. My dogs are very tuned in to my "language" Whether I am upset or feeling a panic attack about to happen they are clearly aware by their actions toward me what is going on. Often they will draw to me if I am upset, I believe this not empathy but pack behaviour.

I always say sorry to my dogs if I accidently hurt them in anyway, I'm pretty sure that don't understand what i mean, but I feel bad for hurting them, so if I say sorry to them, I don't feel as guilty.

They always seem to love the extra attention & cuddle I give them when I'm saying sorry to them though. :)

Edited by Baileys mum

I think mine do understand that is was an accident if I hurt them and then apologise. sometimes they give a yip and tuck their tails under but when I say sorry and check if they're OK they are all right then, they dont act afraid of me, like they might if I'd deliberately aimed a kick at them, not that I could see myself doing that.

I don't think they understand "sorry" but they get that at that moment I am not trying to punish or hurt them.

It's a marking word, similar to they way I use "oops". When my blind dog accidentally walks into a wall I say "oops", soon I say "oops" before they hit it and they change direction.

For "sorry", it means "pack leader hurt me but is happy and affectionate". Or "it was not meant as a punishment". I see my dogs inadvertently hurt each other and they go back and check. Why can't I do the same?

Yeah they certainly do pick up on "emotions" like if I'm ranting at the kids (21,19 and 11) over something and just "going off" (yeah I do sometimes :o ) I turn around to see where the dogs are and they have put themselves in their crates and are sitting there quietly with a look that says "We're good mum, we didn't do stuff to piss you off..see we've put ourselves to bed" ;)

I don't think they understand "sorry" but they get that at that moment I am not trying to punish or hurt them.

It's a marking word, similar to they way I use "oops". When my blind dog accidentally walks into a wall I say "oops", soon I say "oops" before they hit it and they change direction.

For "sorry", it means "pack leader hurt me but is happy and affectionate". Or "it was not meant as a punishment". I see my dogs inadvertently hurt each other and they go back and check. Why can't I do the same?

I think this too. I apologise and pat my dogs if I trip over them, so they know I wasn't punishing them for anything.

Like Baileys mum said - they probably think it's worth it just for all the fuss afterward :laugh:

I'm not sure if they understand our 'regret' but I think they understand what is an accident and what is deliberate. In a similar way as when it happens to us, accidents are out of context. My dogs recover immediately after I accidentally hurt them, but not so much if I tell them off.

I do say sorry to them, but not with much fuss. I'm sure they interpret the word now to be a confirmation of the fact the act was not deliberate.

Mine seem to jump and then come running to me with tails wagging furiously as if THEY are sorry for getting in the way. :laugh:

I always say sorry but then I have been known to apologise to clothes racks in shops for bumping into them! I think that it is an automatic reaction for me, a bit like saying thank you, which I also say to the dogs :shrug:

Mine usually get told that they shouldn't have laid down in my path without keeping an eye on what I am doing :laugh: They have caused me more damage tripping over them than I have caused them from accidently stepping on them or kicking them ;)

But yes I do tend to make sure that they are all right before treating my own injuries :)

I sometimes wonder too what my girl is thinking, but in this case, I don't think she understands the word of course but I believe she understands the body language that comes with an apology. I don't tread on her often but if I do she is instantly hurdled into my arms as my apology and she always responds to kissing me back and to me that is an acknowledgement that she realises I didn't mean any harm but that I am a clumsy human!

I also believe they understand and also show remorse.