Who Has Kids, And How Involved Are They?

Rosaline

I'm curious to see how involved in the "getting a puppy/dog" decision process your kids were or are.

Too many times I'm hearing the "Oh but the kids saw the puppy in the shop window and so we just HAD to get it" story. The old instant gratification.

Our daughter has never had a dog or actually asked for one, but we have seen how much she loves my parent's dogs, and how much it frustrates her that the cat won't play with her for more than 5 minutes :laugh: .

We had always planned to get a dog once she was school aged, and my husband and I discussed getting a dog for months before we mentioned it to her at all, then explained that we have to wait for puppies to be born. I think this has actually been a great lesson for her.

We were visiting friends yesterday and playing with their 9 month old pup. After school today she was sighing and saying mentioned that she wanted to get our puppy now :laugh:

I don't much like waiting either, but could never stoop to the pet shop level of "off the shelf" animals.

Anyway, as far as her involvement, she gets to help pick the name, and has pleaded that we get a girl. We, as the adults decided the breed, where to buy from and the timing (breeder dependant).

My other question is how much involvement do your kids have with your dogs? (Feeding, help with training etc).

I would maybe be open with the sex,

For starters the breeder may have no girls in the litter .

For example our last 2 litters have been all boys so those wanting girls only will be waiting alot longer .

A good breeder will also be able to tell you if the bitches in the litter will suit a home with your child plus the friends that will visit.

I think picking the right pup is often more important than the gender but you can certainly have your preference .

Also keep in mind you may not be first on the list as well.

Your daughter can certainly play a big part but make sure she understands the breeder will be playing a bigger part in selecting the right pup for you .

When kids come out & see cute puppies they don't think with there heads they just see cuteness & want now .

We often get parents or 1 parents come out & see the pups first to make sure they are happy with what they see before letting there children now or come out

When people come out to look at our pups we see which ones interact best with children ,often we already now which pups will be better suited .

As for involvement it comes down to age,breed & not teaching confusing signs to the dog but kids can certainly play a good part.

my son has not known a life without dogs... so he is involved in most stuff.

recently the jrt was in a coma in the vet for snake bite... it was a do we give the dog another shot of anti venom or have christmas.

it was a known thing... we can do the treatment and still not have a dog or do it and not have christmas. the bill at that stage was about 3k...

he voted for the treatment... and i think he would again. so even tho often our dogs are retreads... as in some one will decide they don't want the dog and want us to take it that day or within a few days... they are treated like family, not as disposable.

Both my daughters are 2 and 3 when we bought our SBT so their input on the matter was nil. Once we had spoken to our breeder and seen some photos, then did I start talking to them about our boy and that we were getting a dog but more in preparation than anything. They got to pick out a toy each prior to picking up our boy and picked the colour of his collar, lead, bedding and other 'accessories'.

Basically he is my dog so I make the choices (except OH chose his name). Once the girls get older and are capable of being responsible then they may be able to help select our next dog, with much guidance from me as possible ;) .

Both our girls help with feeding, grooming and training our dog (cat too). We take him down the beach atleast once a day so exercising is a family affair.

Edited by ironbutterfly

Most kids have very short attention spans for almost everything.....sadly this includes dogs. It doesn't mean that a child can't help out with looking after any pet, it's just that the dog or other pet will always remain 100% your responsibility as the adult.

My son was 7 when we got our second dog, the pup that came home with us was the pup that most responded to our son. We couldn't pick between the 2 pups that were available to us otherwise. We made all the decisions, we already owned a Whippet, had been looking for the right pup for some time, we chose the name as we knew that we'd be sticking with the name for a long time, and at 7, my son's choice of names were apalling.

At 7, son promised to look after the dog, train it, feed it etc, which of course, he didn't. He meant it at the time, it's just that chidren don't have a concept of "forever".

My son is now almost 12 years old, he loves the dog, and they love cuddling on the lounge. The dog is more conscientious than the boy, at least he remembers every morning that he has to wake up my son. I don't remember when my son last offered to feed the dog. The dog also remembers to exercise our son several times a week, he gets his Frisbee out and tosses it at my son. The dog has sucessfully trained the child to throw the Frisbee, every time he drops it on the child's lap.

Most kids have very short attention spans for almost everything.....sadly this includes dogs. It doesn't mean that a child can't help out with looking after any pet, it's just that the dog or other pet will always remain 100% your responsibility as the adult.

My son was 7 when we got our second dog, the pup that came home with us was the pup that most responded to our son. We couldn't pick between the 2 pups that were available to us otherwise. We made all the decisions, we already owned a Whippet, had been looking for the right pup for some time, we chose the name as we knew that we'd be sticking with the name for a long time, and at 7, my son's choice of names were apalling.

At 7, son promised to look after the dog, train it, feed it etc, which of course, he didn't. He meant it at the time, it's just that chidren don't have a concept of "forever".

My son is now almost 12 years old, he loves the dog, and they love cuddling on the lounge. The dog is more conscientious than the boy, at least he remembers every morning that he has to wake up my son. I don't remember when my son last offered to feed the dog. The dog also remembers to exercise our son several times a week, he gets his Frisbee out and tosses it at my son. The dog has sucessfully trained the child to throw the Frisbee, every time he drops it on the child's lap.

sounds pretty much like our house... except its a rope and ball not a frisbee... they do tend to take up the couch eat and pass wind... together... not much difference at all...

oh the 14yo does feed the 6 dogs every day by being reminded... each and every day.

My kids get no say. :o The dogs are mine and I have chosen/chosen to keep all of our current dogs (except Champa - Glen gets the blame for him!!). The kids play with the dogs sometimes and walk with us sometimes but that's about it. Now that they are getting older they are much more interested in them though. :)

My kids love our dog but have very little involvement with her other than feeding her when asked. She was intended as a family dog but is really my dog. I don't mind too much. :)

I'm sure there are kids that may be very involved but in my observation, including my own behavior as a child, most are not. Like Whipptsmum said, they have so many other things to do & have such short attention spans. :laugh:

I have to but in here in some childrens defence, being a 16 year at the moment :laugh: We got our first family dog, and my mums first ever dog (she was petrified of dogs after her aggressive childhood dog :o ), I was 6 and had spent ages convincing them for a dog to join the family. I was obssessed with english staffys at the time as my uncle overseas had them and I just loved them, so we went to the pound and picked up a beautiful staffy mix named Cherry...we liked the name so kept it :) I tried training her but because I was so young she wouldn't listen to me, but I still fed her, and attended every walk she had with my parents (too young to go on my own, obviously). Then a few years later I wanted a 2nd dog, but this time, a dog of my own. So a breed of unknown origins came into my life on Christmas morning, a 5 week old pup who I named Lassie (much to my parents horror, as she looked more boxer/pitbull than a bloody collie :laugh: ). Yes she was too young, and she was the shy pup in the corner, but we knw nothing about dogs back then. She ended up being very dog/people aggressive and later had to be pts after going for multiple children, we tried everything to help her. Again, I was involved in feeding, walking, training...but I learnt so much for her. I began agility training with Cherry when I was 9 and she was a challenge...but now has nearly got her masters title :D After being so devasted about loosing Lassie, we all needed someone else to fill the hole in our hearts...and so I found dogzonline, did much breed research on the aussie shepherd, found pups in Cairns, and so I had my very first show dog. This was when I was 12. Again, feeding, training and walking was up to me. Finally, at 15, I was trusted to get a dog of my VERY own which I would have to pay for entirely...so I ended up with my schipperke who was 1200, plus another 1 or 200 to get him from Adelaide to Cairns. Still paying for his food, toys and blah blah.

Wow, I need to shut up.

ANYWAY, moral of the story is that some children will look after the dogs completely for their lifetime...I am responsible for 3 dogs and want more...but if they love dogs as much as I do and are really desperate for a dog....why not :thumbsup: However, if the parent wants the dog too, what's childhood without a dog anyway ;)

My girls have always wanted a dog but they were not involved in the picking of the breed that was all me.. I did the research as I had a lot if boxes to tick..

My 14 and I go to puppyclass and only her, myself and OH are involved in the training side .. I feed him but at the moment that is because I want to train him a certain way for this. They will be involved when he is a little older.. :-)

They all play with him and love him, we are very out doors people and he will be a large part of our leisure lifestyle my OH can't wait to take him sailing :-)

I think it depends a lot on the child

my 12 year old loves our two,and would do anything for them.she has been with us each time we have added to the family.

when we got our staffy, she had no say in which one we got, that was the breeders choice, she was only very young, but helped to pick lead, toys etc.she wasnt there when he was PTS, but understands why it had to happen.

K9 came to us, and i think he is were she has developed her understanding of animals in need, he had been dumped and was emancipated, but she loved him and saw he needed our love, and kindness.

this was also obvious when it became time to add to our pack again, and she knew that we wouldnt be bringing a dog home with us if it wasnt the right dog.she also wanted to give a dog a home that really needed it( very proud of her :thumbsup: ), so when i thought i had found the one, we took her and her youngest brother to meet Jess at renbury, it was :love: at first sight between the 2 of them, and there is still and i think always will be, a very special bond between them.

my daughter helps to feed them, train them and play with them, and helps walk (only with us with her).she is a smart kid, way beyond her years, but is only 12.she always buys them things with her own money like toys and treats.they dont seem to mind :D

I have to but in here in some childrens defence, being a 16 year at the moment :laugh: We got our first family dog, and my mums first ever dog (she was petrified of dogs after her aggressive childhood dog :o ), I was 6 and had spent ages convincing them for a dog to join the family. I was obssessed with english staffys at the time as my uncle overseas had them and I just loved them, so we went to the pound and picked up a beautiful staffy mix named Cherry...we liked the name so kept it :) I tried training her but because I was so young she wouldn't listen to me, but I still fed her, and attended every walk she had with my parents (too young to go on my own, obviously). Then a few years later I wanted a 2nd dog, but this time, a dog of my own. So a breed of unknown origins came into my life on Christmas morning, a 5 week old pup who I named Lassie (much to my parents horror, as she looked more boxer/pitbull than a bloody collie :laugh: ). Yes she was too young, and she was the shy pup in the corner, but we knw nothing about dogs back then. She ended up being very dog/people aggressive and later had to be pts after going for multiple children, we tried everything to help her. Again, I was involved in feeding, walking, training...but I learnt so much for her. I began agility training with Cherry when I was 9 and she was a challenge...but now has nearly got her masters title :D After being so devasted about loosing Lassie, we all needed someone else to fill the hole in our hearts...and so I found dogzonline, did much breed research on the aussie shepherd, found pups in Cairns, and so I had my very first show dog. This was when I was 12. Again, feeding, training and walking was up to me. Finally, at 15, I was trusted to get a dog of my VERY own which I would have to pay for entirely...so I ended up with my schipperke who was 1200, plus another 1 or 200 to get him from Adelaide to Cairns. Still paying for his food, toys and blah blah.

Wow, I need to shut up.

ANYWAY, moral of the story is that some children will look after the dogs completely for their lifetime...I am responsible for 3 dogs and want more...but if they love dogs as much as I do and are really desperate for a dog....why not :thumbsup: However, if the parent wants the dog too, what's childhood without a dog anyway ;)

Well done, you sound very responsible! Abd nice choice with the Schipperke, I have one too! How old is your Schipp now?

I have two girls living at home, aged 15 and 22. Both had a say in the pets we have got. We usually talk long and hard about the pro's and cons. We work out what jobs get done by whom or we take turns.

Archie was my choice, he is a special needs dog that was looking for a home, and we were after a Pug. I decided from the start to be the main care provider for him, with some help from the girls when I needed it. But we take all chip in with feeding, topping up water, letting him outside, etc.

We have two cats as well, one belonging to each daughter. I don't do anything for them (I am allergic), so the girls totally care for them themselves. It was their choice to have the cats, with my OK. One has been with us nearly 6 years the other nearly 2yrs. The girls have never got fed up or slackened from their jobs. They also know when they leave home they will be taking the cats with them.

Lynn

I have 2 kids (boys) - 4 & 14. Neither had input as to what type of dog to get. We all agreed on a female though (so I'm not so outnumbered!) We had a shortlist of names but my eldest chose it to be Lucy & we all just kinda agreed :)

My 4yo wants to do everything including pick up the poo (which I don't let him) He helps me bath her & plays chasey with her in the backyard.

The eldest picks up the dog poo (reluctantly) but I told him its part of his pocket money. :laugh:

The dog is more conscientious than the boy, at least he remembers every morning that he has to wake up my son. I don't remember when my son last offered to feed the dog. The dog also remembers to exercise our son several times a week, he gets his Frisbee out and tosses it at my son. The dog has sucessfully trained the child to throw the Frisbee, every time he drops it on the child's lap.

:rofl:

I have only ever had female dogs myself, so it was really a no-brainer to agree to getting a female, husband's only comment was that a male would be cheaper to desex.

I was more wondering along the lines as to whether anyone had bought a dog because their kids had asked for one? Probably not, given this is a dog forum! It's just something I see happening quite a lot, and seems to me to be a disaster waiting to happen - kids want pet, parents give in without really thinking it through...not actually considering that it will mean picking up poo everyday for the next however many years and when the novelty wears off you can't just put it in the cupboard or give it away. I'm guessing this is why petshops are doing so well - the parents who give in to little Johnny's whims!

I have 3 kids 11, 8 & 5. The 11 yr old is responsible for feeding the 2 dogs & cat & she shares the duty of pooh patrol with her 8 yr old sister. The 8 yr old is responsible for grooming the cat.

I am responsible for walking & training the dogs & also for washing, worming, fleaing etc. Oh & of course paying for them!

The kids had no say in the breed of dog as we had ridgies before they were born. They did however help choose the name, we all voted on our favourite :)

My 11yr old was with us when we pts our girl last year. It was her decision & I think it was the right one. She now understands that being responsible also means that sometimes you have to make really hard decisions. She handled it way better than I & it taught her a lot about grief & death.

We never had pets as children as we lived in a unit, Mum didn't have the money or time either. I am glad we didnt because of those reasons but wow, I love having furkids. We get so much pleasure out of them :)

I bought my dogs for me, they are my commitment (and they are a big one!). So while the rest of the family does have some minor input they are not really 'involved'.

Personally I do not agree with 'buying a dog for the kids'. Just like I would never advocate that someone have a baby to give their child a playmate. Eventually the novelty wears off. There is so much more to consider...

I grew up with dogs. We had a daschund. Then when I was 9 we got a shetland sheepdog and then when 10 I got my shetland sheepdog. My mum was really strict, they were our dogs, we looked after them - walking them, feeding them, grooming them, training them. We took both dogs to the local obedience club where my older sister by 2 years excelled with her sheltie. They were totally our responsibility within our limits as children (i.e. of course we couldn't take them to the vets)

I had somebody interested in adopting a greyhound. From what they told me on the phone they seemed to have put some thought into it. However they called me the next day telling me they had been to the pound and their two year old daughter had fallen in love with a cattle dog and so they had adopted it.

That was the only person like that I have come across, but no doubt there would be other people allowing toddlers to call the shots in their family.

Wow, I need to shut up.

Well done, you sound very responsible! Abd nice choice with the Schipperke, I have one too! How old is your Schipp now?

We already had 2 dogs when my eldest decided she wanted a dog of her own, my daughter was 12 at the time. My only stipulation was a smaller breed. She did lots of research on the web and settled on a Schipp. She then sat down and composed an email to several breeders. Long story short Elsa came to live with us, and now 14 years later still lives with my daughter and a rescue schipp as well. My other kids were not that interested in having a dog of their own but were happy to just interact with my dogs.