Antibiotics And Bitches In Whelp

jr_inoz

Came home from work tonight and noticed that Rommy has one red ear. It doesn't seem to be bothering her. We have a vet appointment on Thursday for a check up.

Should we go earlier?

If she needs antibiotics, what are the risks for her and her puppies. She will be 7 weeks pregnant on Wednesday.

Came home from work tonight and noticed that Rommy has one red ear.

It doesn't seem to be bothering her.

We have a vet appointment on Thursday for a check up.

Should we go earlier?

If she needs antibiotics, what are the risks for her and her puppies.

She will be 7 weeks pregnant on Wednesday.

Hi jr_inoz. :)

Antibiotics? Not

I would need to look up the article but it is a recent one I've read.

If its not bothering her why risk taking her to the Vet where she may pick something up.

A dog in whelp has a compromised immune system hence the extra biosecurity required.

Personally I wouldn't take a pregnant bitch within cooee of a Vet.

Regards

Px

jr_inoz,

I think if you search the health forum you will find info on apple cider vinegar being used as an ear cleaner and I imagine that would be safe (you may want to do some researching and check to be sure - I have never needed it or someone with more experience will hopefully see and answer).

As for going to the vet if needed - I wouldn't hesitate to take an animal requiring treatment to the vet, pregnant or not. I would however make it very clear on booking that she is pregnant and double check on any treatment recommended and it's safety.

I would be off to the vet to get them to look in her ear to ensure it isn't a bad infection. Treating at home without checking can result in damage to the eardrum- doubtful if you have caught it early, but better to be safe. If you look at it in the morning and it hasn't changed you may be able to monitor it till thursday, any change and see the vet earlier. I would personally just rebook earlier and get it dealt with so I could catch it early.

Dogs can put up with a fair amount of discomfort before they let us know whats going on which is why no one on the forum can recommend not seeing a vet, unless they can see the ear over cyberspace ;). Straight out recommending to not see a vet is quite dangerous. Pregnant bitches still have a functioning immune system.

There are plenty of natural ear cleansers that you can try if the vet thinks its a minor infection which would be my first option.

ETA-I have also seen a vinegar mix recommended. If the vet does prescribe AB then tell them about 50 times that she is preggers and make them triple check that it is safe, then do your own research. It might be overkill but once again safe rather than sorry.

Edited by Jumabaar

Thanks for the advice everyone.

If I bring the visit forward, would an x-ray a day or two before 7 weeks show up skeletons clearly? The last ultrasound was pretty cool - could see little skeletons and moving around puppies. (6 and half weeks). Also saw little heartbeats. I thought bones calcified at 7 weeks. (which is why lots of vets x-ray at 8 weeks).

If it is an infection, would like to get on top of it early when we can still use stuff that is low key.

If I bring the visit forward, would an x-ray a day or two before 7 weeks show up skeletons clearly? The last ultrasound was pretty cool - could see little skeletons and moving around puppies. (6 and half weeks). Also saw little heartbeats. I thought bones calcified at 7 weeks. (which is why lots of vets x-ray at 8 weeks).

If it is an infection, would like to get on top of it early when we can still use stuff that is low key.

I would wait until as late as possible for an Xray. Puppies bones don't ossify until day 47-49 so you may not get a clear picture prior to 7 weeks- it may be a waste of money to do an X-ray prior to then.

X-rays should only be in the last week, never before and if your vet has a good ultrasound you don't need and x-ray at all. X-rays are just as dangerous in pregnant dogs as they are in pregnant people.

Definitely get the ear checked asap. Ear infections are more often treated with drops or ointment than oral antibiotics anyway. BTW every breeder I know gets ultrasounds late during and sometimes late in the pregnancy as well and I do not know of any that picked up any nasties at the vets.

Here is some independent advice that contradicts giving amoxicillin which is generally considered safe by most.

I had a pregnant female that got a very bad infection about 4-5 weeks into her pregnancy.

My vet put her on amoxicillin, they said it was safe for pregnant bitches, but I ended up with 3 pups born with their intestines outside their body.

This was her 3rd litter of pups, the first two litters were all nice and healthy, infact her second and third litter of pups were by the same sire.

I would never, ever use antibiotics on a pregnant bitch unless you absolutely had to.

Good luck.

Studies have not been done on the use of most antibiotics with dogs. Which Antibiotics?

Also

Drug Administration

Administration of any medication is best avoided in the pregnant bitch. Some drugs have proven to be relatively safe, while others are definitely dangerous to the developing fetuses. Many other drugs carry potential risks that have not been researched at this time.

The safest course is to avoid any medication of questionable safety and to only administer medications if absolutely necessary.

Drugs considered SAFE in pregnancy:

cephalosporins (antibiotic)

fenbendazole (dewormer)

penicillins (antibiotic)

ivermectin (dewormer)

amoxicillin with clavulanic acid (antibiotic)

praziquantel (dewormer)

clindamycin (antibiotic)

pyrantel pamoate (dewormer)

erythromycin (antibiotic)

diethylcarbamazine (dewormer)

milbemycin oxime (dewormer)

Drugs to AVOID during pregnancy:

aminoglycosides (antibiotic)

enalapril (cardiac medication)

tetracyclines (antibiotic)

theophylline (respiratory bronchodilator)

sulfonamides (antibiotic)

misoprostol (reduces risk of stomach ulcers)

chloramphenicol (antibiotic)

Diethylstilbestrol (estrogen)

metronidazole (antibiotic)

organophosphates (pesticide)

griseofulvin (antifungal)

omeprazole (reduces risk of stomach ulcers)

ketoconazole (antifungal)

aspirin (anti-inflammatory)

ketamine (anesthetic)

acepromazine (tranquilizer)

diazepam (anti-anxiety drug)

barbituates (sedatives)

glucocorticoids (hormones)

mitotane (pesticide)

Edited by Tralee

Definitely take her to have her ear canal checked - it might be a grass seed...

And the amoxcillins are NOT safe for pregnant bitches in the first trimester!!

They DO cause gastrochisis - the intestines develop outside the abdominal wall.

Good post, Tralee - should be pinned in this thread, that is great info.

Take her to the vet - if they give you antibiotics check with the vet they have considered the effect it may have - what type it is etc and then when the pups are born put a bit of protexin on their tongues once or twice a day.

If you go now by the time the pups are born the antibiotics will be done and dusted - it will kill off anything else that may be a bacteria problem and all will be well.

Edited by Steve

quote name='Tralee' timestamp='1327952594' post='5702966'

Here is some independent advice that contradicts giving amoxicillin which is generally considered safe by most.

I had a pregnant female that got a very bad infection about 4-5 weeks into her pregnancy.

My vet put her on amoxicillin, they said it was safe for pregnant bitches, but I ended up with 3 pups born with their intestines outside their body.

This was her 3rd litter of pups, the first two litters were all nice and healthy, infact her second and third litter of pups were by the same sire.

I would never, ever use antibiotics on a pregnant bitch unless you absolutely had to.

Good luck.

at 4-5 weeks the event causing the malformation of the abdominal wall would have already past.

Pregnancy does not cause a weakened immune system. It puts strains on the body but the body manages.

If it did not the human and canine race would not exisit.

In regards to the story of a bitch given antibiotics and as a result, produced pups with outside intestines...I had the opposite. I had a bitch (second litter) that had two pups born this way. As it turns out the cause WAS a low grade infection that had I put her on antibods, could have prevented both these pups, AND the two born with club feet (birth defects) and the others that simply failed to thrive because of their level of infection, thanks to the mom during gestation and after being born.

So you see, there are plenty of cases that contradict each other.

I personally have in fact used antibods on bitches early in their pregnancy and later on, without any issues. All healthy litters born and raised.

Hi. :)

A vet friend recently sent me this. Seems relevent to this thread so may be useful for some.

Quite clearly, from your list espinay2 the number of drugs that should not be used far outweighs the number considered safe.

Add to that the number mentioned that should be used with care and also considering that those approved for use may simply be below the threshold of studies done or observations made, then the balance sheet for medications and dogs in 'cinta' is very unfavourable.

Nobody likes intervention, either vivisection or medication.

The way forward must be healthy dogs in biosecure environments.

Px

Actually although its a bit off topic I thought of you when I saw this one .I think you live in an area were it would be advised to use this stuff.

It also makes you wonder if this stuff is put on the skin and it gets in and causes a problem with sperm how it might affect men who play with and touch and handle the dog while it is on there.

Im lucky Ive never even seen a flea and no such thing as ticks here so we don't need to use these products but its still food for thought at least and makes you hesitate to expose breeding dogs to anything until you check it and consider if its your best option.

Have to say it ticks me off that its not a warning before you use it.

http://bullmarketfrogs.com/blog/2011/10/topical-insecticides-and-reproductive-health-in-dogs/

Actually although its a bit off topic I thought of you when I saw this one .I think you live in an area were it would be advised to use this stuff.

It also makes you wonder if this stuff is put on the skin and it gets in and causes a problem with sperm how it might affect men who play with and touch and handle the dog while it is on there.

Im lucky Ive never even seen a flea and no such thing as ticks here so we don't need to use these products but its still food for thought at least and makes you hesitate to expose breeding dogs to anything until you check it and consider if its your best option.

Have to say it ticks me off that its not a warning before you use it.

http://bullmarketfro...health-in-dogs/

This raises a whole series of questions for my and my current situation. No ticks here, but I have been using Revolution on my girl for topical flea (and heartworm) treatment because it is supposedly safe for breeding bitches. I have never used it when my bitch was either in season or after she had been mated. I have, though, used it just before she came in season, cos on each of her last 2 seasons she has surprised me and come in season a month earlier than expected - so the treatment has been on her just a few weeks before she came into season.

hmmm......