What Is A Healthy Expected Weight Gain

alyjam

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No hes dads got another breed his mastiff x i just cant remember what but he was huge. Mum is bullmastiff x english. Our fella had the least amount of wrinkles ( hubby found that mmore attractive ) but yes he is very much loved

He's gorgeous! But I'm sorry, he doesn't look like a pure bred Bull mastiff. Not that it matters now that you have him and love him :)

I was just going to post that Clyde and then I saw your post.

Please please please dont call your baby a Bullmastiff cause he isnt one.

I mean, he is lovely but he is a crossbred mastiff type. And you will love him to peices we all know that.

He is of fairly good weight and now it comes to light why you got him at 7 weeks old.

He is lovely. Enjoy him whilst he is "little" cause it won't last long. :laugh: Mind you he'll still think he is a lap dog when he hits 80 odd kg.

Weve been feeding him science diet puppy for large breeds since we got him 2 days ago but i think in my opinion he could use a bit more sp my hubs put some minced chicken carcass in with his biccies

Thanks guys he turns 8 weeks tomorrow and was fully weaned and eating solids which is the only reason i got him so early. I weighed him again today and hes now 9kgs

Don't sweat it alyjam, you wouldn't be the first person to get a pup from a breeder a few days shy of 8 weeks. :eek: Sometimes it happens due to timing, location, family committment, illness etc. I'm sure his weight gain is appropriate, you have bought a large breed. :)

:thumbsup: We got the new girl a day earlier due to travel arrangements ect, breeder just wanted to make sure microchip went ok as well as checking for any reactions to vacc's ect :) Its not a sin to go a few days early :)

I doubt this pup came from a breeder other than a BYB

We took him to the vet for a check up, vaccination, microchip and worming.

This is all done by an ethical breeder before leaving at no earlier than 8 weeks.

Leanne

I always get a laugh out of this, there are many different levels of 'byb' i guess. I know one who is considered here a byb yet makes sure all of this is done before pups leave for their new homes :)

OP Your pup is beautiful :) I hope you will stick around and post more pics over the next few mnths ect :thumbsup:

As a rule of thumb or so i was told recently by vet esp for shepherds abt a kilo a wk is a good growth weight. My baby girl was 6.5 at 8 wks but by 4mnths was 16.5 :) I haven't weighed her for a while but i am expecting at 5mnths she now over 20kgs :) As others have said if you can feel the ribs but not see them this is generally a healthy weight. If you are concerned though i would double check with the vet :)

Weve been feeding him science diet puppy for large breeds since we got him 2 days ago but i think in my opinion he could use a bit more sp my hubs put some minced chicken carcass in with his biccies

This sounds good :) Maybe you could also try some chicken mince and veges to beef it out a bit? :) I think generally 3 meals a day at that age is also good :)