How Long Between Seasons ?

mumoftwo

mumoftwo, there are a lot of country shows in NSW. If yuo look at the DogsNSW webpage for their calendar of events you should be able to find something within a reasonable distance of you.

And hopefully with a good quality selection of Cavalier to view too.

BTW, the coat is brushed flat and often a "drying jacket" is used to help it sit nicely prior to showing. When at homes my dogs are just bathed and fluffed up so that can make them look a bit rounder! :laugh:

We have a joke saying here at home, "I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy"! :laugh: :laugh:

While there is no stripping or clipping as such, regular use of a slicker brush keeps the undercoat fresh and removes dead hair and helps the coat to sit nicely. A bristle brush like a Mason Pearson is used on the body and a pin brush and comb on the ears, tail and feathering on legs and tummy. Some like to use a slicker on the ears but I don't.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mumoftwo, there are a lot of country shows in NSW. If yuo look at the DogsNSW webpage for their calendar of events you should be able to find something within a reasonable distance of you.

thanks piper, I will see when and where the next country show is, do you go to the country ones ??

And hopefully with a good quality selection of Cavalier to view too.

BTW, the coat is brushed flat and often a "drying jacket" is used to help it sit nicely prior to showing. When at homes my dogs are just bathed and fluffed up so that can make them look a bit rounder! :laugh:

We have a joke saying here at home, "I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy"! :laugh: :laugh:

While there is no stripping or clipping as such, regular use of a slicker brush keeps the undercoat fresh and removes dead hair and helps the coat to sit nicely. A bristle brush like a Mason Pearson is used on the body and a pin brush and comb on the ears, tail and feathering on legs and tummy. Some like to use a slicker on the ears but I don't.

I used a slicker brush on them today and got a lot of loose hair out. thanks for your help :)

thanks piper, I will see when and where the next country show is, do you go to the country ones ??

I'm in SA, so no. But I know through posts here and friends that there are often country circuits in different areas of NSW. No idea what they get in the way of cavs but it would hopefully give you some sort of idea. I imagine the best entries will be when there is a circuit with quite a few shows at the 1 place or in the same area over multiple days.

I;m sure it has been said and you may have answered it so apologies if you did and I missed it - have you spoken to the breeder of your girl and asked them to assist? As others have said a mentor is invaluable. I had my first litter last year and didn't have a mentor as such but instead quite a few experienced breeders (both my own breed and other breeds) that I could approach for advice on anything from breeding questions to questions on development, the standard etc. I also remain in close contact with the breeder of my girl, even though she is interstate and Jazz is 4.5 years old - it is just as important for her breeding to know anything that happens with my girl and her progeny as it is for me.

I'm in SA, so no. But I know through posts here and friends that there are often country circuits in different areas of NSW. No idea what they get in the way of cavs but it would hopefully give you some sort of idea. I imagine the best entries will be when there is a circuit with quite a few shows at the 1 place or in the same area over multiple days.

I;m sure it has been said and you may have answered it so apologies if you did and I missed it - have you spoken to the breeder of your girl and asked them to assist? As others have said a mentor is invaluable. I had my first litter last year and didn't have a mentor as such but instead quite a few experienced breeders (both my own breed and other breeds) that I could approach for advice on anything from breeding questions to questions on development, the standard etc. I also remain in close contact with the breeder of my girl, even though she is interstate and Jazz is 4.5 years old - it is just as important for her breeding to know anything that happens with my girl and her progeny as it is for me.

Unfortunately the breeder lives interstate but I email her if I have any concerns. I have a friend here who knows of a local Cav. breeder so I wlll contact her and see if she will be my mentor.

As from now these two dogs are on diets !! I know the vet will try and sell me their brand of dog food, but what do breeders use ?

Bend your hand toward your wrist and feel the back of your hand - thats how you want to be able to feel your dogs ribs and how you know when its over or under weight.

As from now these two dogs are on diets !! I know the vet will try and sell me their brand of dog food, but what do breeders use ?

Bend your hand toward your wrist and feel the back of your hand - thats how you want to be able to feel your dogs ribs and how you know when its over or under weight.

Oh dear, they do have a bit of excess baggage lol

The thing is Cavaliers are very good doers! My girls get by on a cup of kibble and about two tablespoons of meat.

The thing is Cavaliers are very good doers! My girls get by on a cup of kibble and about two tablespoons of meat.

Its very hard not to overfeed them when you love them so much! Its just a natural thing for me to make sure theyre fed well, I guess Ive overdone it a bit !!!

Its very hard not to overfeed them when you love them so much! Its just a natural thing for me to make sure theyre fed well, I guess Ive overdone it a bit !!!

It's those eyes!

I've made a rule that the dogs are to get NO SNACKS of any decription not given by me. They get their meals, and training treats, bones, pigs ears strips only on occassion. My OH is a shocker and I know he gives Crystal bits of roast beef trimmings when he makes his lunches as she goes nuts when he takes down the chopping board, doesn't bat an eyelid when I do! :laugh:

The truly sad thing though is the old ladies who feed them biscuits for morning and afternoon tea, etc. etc. They kill 'em with kindness, not a good thing for a breed with heart issues. I'm sure you see more than your share of over indulged pooches at the Vet clinic. Your dogs are just a bit over but they are young so you must be careful.

It's those eyes!

I've made a rule that the dogs are to get NO SNACKS of any decription not given by me. They get their meals, and training treats, bones, pigs ears strips only on occassion. My OH is a shocker and I know he gives Crystal bits of roast beef trimmings when he makes his lunches as she goes nuts when he takes down the chopping board, doesn't bat an eyelid when I do! :laugh:

The truly sad thing though is the old ladies who feed them biscuits for morning and afternoon tea, etc. etc. They kill 'em with kindness, not a good thing for a breed with heart issues. I'm sure you see more than your share of over indulged pooches at the Vet clinic. Your dogs are just a bit over but they are young so you must be careful.

Yes I have seen a lot of overindulged pooches ! And cats too ! Mine get the odd raw chicken neck or wing to help keep their teeth clean etc, but mostly they have good quality dry kibble, and meaty bones and beef mince (human grade)

You can try putting their entire daily rations in a container- and all 'treats' come from the container each day. Much easier to keep track of how much they are getting and you can still 'give in' during the day, they just miss out on a bit for dinner.

ETA- perhaps look at some of the books on structure by Pat Hastings before you have your litter. It will help you determine the quality of your bitch, if your stud will complement her and how to choose pups.

Edited by Jumabaar

You can try putting their entire daily rations in a container- and all 'treats' come from the container each day. Much easier to keep track of how much they are getting and you can still 'give in' during the day, they just miss out on a bit for dinner.

ETA- perhaps look at some of the books on structure by Pat Hastings before you have your litter. It will help you determine the quality of your bitch, if your stud will complement her and how to choose pups.

Good idea ! Will definately read up on the book you suggested. Thanks so much for your help

Cavs can very quickly go over weight. I put 3 on a diet last year. Worked well and quickly on the wrong one. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So she is getting more and the other 2 less still.:D

There is a lot of dead coat in both those dogs.

When you dry them brush the fur back towards their behinds and blow from the front like a hair dresser does with your hair only its from top to bottom.