How Long Between Seasons ?

mumoftwo

I bought a gorgeous female King Charles Cavalier back in July last year. The previous owner told me she had her last season "some time in June". She has not had a season since. Just wondering if its common for this breed to have longer than the normal 6 month cycle ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, usually 6-7 months by the time they are 2 years old.

My first girl however has gone 8 months every time right from her first and she is 4 years old now.

My second girl went, 10 months, 5 months, then 6 months, 6 months, 6 months.

And the third went 9 months, 7 months, so far. :)

Edited by LizT

Yes, usually 6-7 months by the time they are 2 years sold.

My first girl however has gone 8 months every time right from her first and she is 4 years old now.

My second girl went, 10 months, 5 months, then 6 months, 6 months, 6 months.

And the third went 9 months, 7 months, so far. :)

Wow I neednt worry too much yet lol !! Thanks for your reply LizT

Any reason you want to breed from her? ( not flaming just a genuine questain)

I believe she's a wonderful example of the breed and would like to produce some excellent quality puppies just like her !!

Is she currently heart and eye clear?

I believe she's a wonderful example of the breed and would like to produce some excellent quality puppies just like her !!

Yes she is, I made sure of that before I purchased her

Has she been Shown at all?

No she hasnt

No she hasnt

I was going to suggest that that is one way of confirming if she is indeed "a good example" of the breed. Nothing like getting the feedback of several Judges and comparing how she stacks up against others of her kind. I assume she is on MR if you are considering breeding her, so you could always give her a run around the ring.

Alternatively, seek out some Cavalier "Mentors" in your area and, vet check not withstanding (pattelers for eg.), see what they think of her as a breeding prospect. And also, which 'type' of dog would best compliment her. :)

Edited by LizT

No she hasnt

I was going to suggest that that is one way of confirming if she is indeed "a good example" of the breed. Nothing like getting the feedback of several Judges and comparing how she stacks up against others of her kind. I assume she is on MR if you are considering breeding her, so you could always give her a run around the ring.

Alternatively, seek out some Cavalier "Mentors" in your area and, vet check not withstanding (pattelers for eg.), see what they think of her as a breeding prospect. And also, which 'type' of dog would best compliment her. :)

Hi LizT

Yes she is on MR and would love to show her but time and my location does not allow unfortunately.I am a vet nurse and Im taking her for her yearly vaccination tomorrow afternoon so will speak to the vet also.Thanks for your input

Hate to be picky but am wondering how in depth your knowledge of the breed, and what constitutes a great representative of that breed, when you get the breed's name wrong?

So I made a typo SORRY !!

Err - I have Staffordshire Bull Terriers. I have problems that my fingers can't spell and I may on occasions call them Staffordshite Bull Terriers or Staffordshire Bill Terriers, but I would have to be on drugs to type english staffy which is what BYB call the breed.

Same with CKCS - if you know the breed well enought to breed you SHOULD know the words appear in that order, even if you can't quite get the spelling right every time.

Contact her breeder (sounds like the breeder is not the person you bought her from?). They are the first people who should be giving you advice, from the basics right up to guiding you in the choice of stud dog. They will be able to help you get your paperwork in order (which has to be done before she is mated) and will be the people you phone at 2am in a mad panic while waiting outside the vet clinic.

Knowing that bitches can have more than 6 months between seasons is an extremely basic thing (this is something I would have thought a VET NURSE would have known :confused: ), sounds to me like you lack much of the basic info you need before embarking on breeding your bitch.

Hate to be picky but am wondering how in depth your knowledge of the breed, and what constitutes a great representative of that breed, when you get the breed's name wrong?

So I made a typo SORRY !!

Err - I have Staffordshire Bull Terriers. I have problems that my fingers can't spell and I may on occasions call them Staffordshite Bull Terriers or Staffordshire Bill Terriers, but I would have to be on drugs to type english staffy which is what BYB call the breed.

Same with CKCS - if you know the breed well enought to breed you SHOULD know the words appear in that order, even if you can't quite get the spelling right every time.

Contact her breeder (sounds like the breeder is not the person you bought her from?). They are the first people who should be giving you advice, from the basics right up to guiding you in the choice of stud dog. They will be able to help you get your paperwork in order (which has to be done before she is mated) and will be the people you phone at 2am in a mad panic while waiting outside the vet clinic.

Knowing that bitches can have more than 6 months between seasons is an extremely basic thing (this is something I would have thought a VET NURSE would have known :confused: ), sounds to me like you lack much of the basic info you need before embarking on breeding your bitch.

Are you implying Im a byb because I accidentally typed the name of the breed around the wrong way OMG !

I am fully aware that bitches can have longer than 6 month between seasons Sandra777. My question was if it was common for King Charles to go longer than 6 months !!! I have been a registered breeder of another breed for years and I know what Im doing. Just asked a simple question like so many other breeders who have a query about their breed of dog. While there are some lovely helpful people on this forum there are also some people who need to get down of their high horse........

No she hasnt

Hi LizT

Yes she is on MR and would love to show her but time and my location does not allow unfortunately.I am a vet nurse and Im taking her for her yearly vaccination tomorrow afternoon so will speak to the vet also.Thanks for your input

If you are a vet nurse, why are you taking her for yearly vaccinations when you are about to breed her. Your association with the industry surly tells you that this is incorrect. :)