Good Outcome - Thank You.

Steve

O.K. Pacers need some help. This one had me sobbing into the phone with the lady who needs a hand up.

Her and her husband are currently homeless been given approval this morning for a small amount [newstart ] from centre link but they have faced a huge personal disaster which they couldn't have seen coming.

they have lost everything they own.

Could happen to any one of us. Mission Australia is helping them to try to find accommodation.

Anyway they have a 15 year old cat which we need to find a foster carer for until they are no longer homeless preferrably in the area between Wentworthville and Penrith and they need some basic essentials to make it all a bit easier.

if anyone can help with foster care for the cat which has never seen a dog before in its life so probably shouldn't go to a home where dogs are inside. It is up to date on vaccinations, chipped and in good health ,litter trained etc.you would be really helping these people out in eliminating at least a small part of their stress.

Pacers will cover all costs and you will be covered by our insurances etc.

If anyone can help even a little bit with donations and foster care it would be very much appreciated. These are proud people in desperate need. help us to throw them a short rope.

Donations over $2 are tax deductible. BSB is 062600 account number is 10488688 account name is MDBA Pacers.

Julie

Edited by Steve

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have had about $180 for donations but so far no offers for a foster carer so we may have to consider leaving the cat where it is and paying the boarding fees for them at this stage.

Some have offered furniture etc - they cant determine yet anything they need in that regard as they are staying in a motel and much will depend on when and where they find a place to live. If they need furniture and household goods when they get to a place I will come back and let you all know.

thank you to everyone who has given a little it means a lot

Julie

Ideally though a 15yo cat should be in a home. It would probably be quite stressed in a cattery.

It depends on the cattery. I know some that are quite noisy, then I know some that are indoor (heated/airconditioned) and are really cosey and quiet. The cats in the latter one mainly seem very relaxed and comfortable - carefully and well looked after.

Edited by Erny

Its being boarded at the moment at a vet in Penrith area and they have it on valium to keep her less stressed . Problem is they have told them they will find somewhere for them to live in about a fortnight but after doing the Pacers stuff I'm sort of saying dont hold your breath so on Monday Ill start going after other options if a foster carer still hasn't turned up.

Julie

Ideally though a 15yo cat should be in a home. It would probably be quite stressed in a cattery. :( I wish I could help, don't really know anyone in NSW that would be able to foster a cat though.

I agree, with barking dogs it's not ideal, the place we leave our cats is a dedicated cattery though, no kennels onsite, they can be separated and placed into the old 'breeder' section with heated enclosures. They are friends of the family so I have been right through it, and our cats always come back quite happy.

Can I also add some tips in case anyone is considering whether they could foster or not...

An adult cat can be happily kept in a spare bedroom for several weeks if need be. They do not require great amounts of space or time really. In fact, this poor old girl will probably feel safer in a small room of her own. As long as she has lots of hidey holes (boxes with blankets, igloo beds, etc) and 'up' places (scratching post, shelving, etc) she will be fine. A litter tray and some food bowls, and she is all set. Even if you have other cats or dogs, if she is kept in a spare room away from them all I'm sure she'd be OK. Some rescue remedy on the back of her ears will also help take the edge off.

If anyone is considering fostering her but wants more general info about fostering adult cats, I'm happy to offer whatever advice/support I can.

Edited by Kirty

Just a quick update. We have been unable to locate a foster carer for the cat so we are currently paying boarding fees .We have raised approx $180 in donations so we are hoping that these guys find accommodation very quickly as we will not be able to continue with paying costs for too long.

Thank you to everyone who has thrown in for this - it is very much appreciated.

Julie

I can foster but we are in Melbourne - may be too much for a 15 year old cat to be flown here? We don't have any pets at the moment but still have our old cat's litter tray, bowl etc.

We are looking at rescuing some cats in a couple of months so can't commit long term, though hopefully the couple will be back on their feet ASAP and the cat can be reunited with the family.