Wrinkly Dogs

wantsapuppy

So after reading a thread here about a neo mastiff I looked them up to see what they'd looked like. Any way it kind of got me thinking would dog like this and sharpeis and an other wrinkly dog for that matter have a tendency to get skin infections from the rolls of skin. ?

YES! I would say that over 90% of the Peis and Neos we see at work have skin fold pyoderma or some other sort of skin irritation. Pugs and Pekes also get it in their nose folds. :( And when you add in colour dilution, as is so popular with Peis and Neos, well the result is not pretty.

So after reading a thread here about a neo mastiff I looked them up to see what they'd looked like. Any way it kind of got me thinking would dog like this and sharpeis and an other wrinkly dog for that matter have a tendency to get skin infections from the rolls of skin. ?

Wow I was actually thinking after reading the same Neo thread that a neo was a leaner taller dog lol never would have thought he looked like that.. :-) All these breeds I am being introduced to on here it is quite delightful :-)

I have a dogue de bordeaux and have never had a problem with his wrinkles. They get dirt trapped in there but because he's on a decent diet I dont find infections at all. High grain and cheap diets seem to be the perpetrators

Yes, what Kirty said. Also wrinkles and folds need to be cleaned fairly frequently.

This is a myth. The wrinkles move with the dog so it is not like dirt is getting trapped anywhere.

Shar Pei do get a lot of skin complaints, but it has nothing to do with wrinkles and more to do with breeding.

Yes, what Kirty said. Also wrinkles and folds need to be cleaned fairly frequently.

This is a myth. The wrinkles move with the dog so it is not like dirt is getting trapped anywhere.

Shar Pei do get a lot of skin complaints, but it has nothing to do with wrinkles and more to do with breeding.

+1 for this Cat, we have 2 Pei and their skin issues are not related directly to the wrinkles at all. Our boy has some skin issues but other than a couple of weeks in the height of Summer when he does suffer it can easily be controlled with diet and a good flea and bath routine. We never wipe their wrinkles, just their drooly, messy mouths after eating and that is mostly to save the couch!

No idea about the other breeds though.

They can be prone to skin conditions, but as previously mentioned, that tends to be brought on by diet or just bad care (ie lack of bathes, flea control etc.) more than anything else.

My Pei is incredibly rolly, and we don't need to clean his wrinkles or anything to that effect. His chin does need drying after he drinks, but none of this wipes between the wrinkles. None of the foster pei I've had , have needed any cleaning of the wrinkles so to speak.

...that tends to be brought on by diet or just bad care (ie lack of bathes, flea control etc.) more than anything else.

Wow :eek: - certainly does not apply to our household.

Edited by HonBun

By diet I mean even slight food allergies/intolerances can make Pei skin itchy - especially high protein it seems.

It may depend on the weather/climate where you are maybe?

Just relaying my experiences. :)

Edited by Alyra

You are correct LizT.

We have never had a 'hot spot' but I cannot stand the dirt that collects in their folds.

An easy morning routine (eyes, nose roll & bum) removes possibility of infection and keeps my bullies smelling sweet. It's really no trouble at all!