Heeling Backwards

Hi All,

I am thinking through training some of the actions for rally, and can't think of a logical way to train the heeling backwards action.

I don't clicker train, but use food, toys etc.

I have obedience competion dogs if that makes a difference.

Any ideas?

Just a quick idea off the top of my head. Can you try starting them off walking backwards between your legs so your legs are a guide? My dogs can walk backwards between my legs and beside me now with a guide on the other side (such as a wall) to keep them straight, but I'm yet to try without a guide as I am not actively training for it. I know they can take a few steps backwards next to me in heel position without a guide (as I am testing their understanding of heel position) but I haven't pushed for more. They can also walk backwards facing me, but can't stay straight laugh.gif

Edited by RubyStar

Yep - we train ours alongside a wall - and build it up very gradually - like rewarding one step at a time. Don't know where you are, but if you know any people who do Heelwork to Music/Dances with Dogs - they may have some ideas.

The problem we find is that the dog's head and shoulders will be in position, but there back end tends to swing out without the wall - suggests we're trying to get too much too soon :D Don't forget too that it's Rally O, so you can experiment with positioning your left hand differently - and it is only 3 steps in Rally ;)

ETA Forgot to say, it helps to do quite a bit of rear end awareness work with the dog as well.

Edited by Tassie

Thanks for your comments. I was going to try near a wall. I had a quick fiddle with them this morning and they kept trying to flip finish when I moved my left leg back - I could probably get three "flips" in!!

I do know a few doggie dancers - didn't think of asking them - off to the phone!

We haven't had a problem with it yet, but I think that's because we do alot of rear end awareness, so then when we say Heel and walk backwards so do they. Could some rear end awareness such as pivoting exercises assist?

I taught my girl a good reliable "backup" first using the clicker. Now I am teaching her to heel backwards with me, so I put her in the heel position & give the cue "backup" as I move the leg closest to her, clicking & treating when she takes a couple of steps. I am still doing it against a wall though & think that I will just gradually increase my distance from the wall, till she learns to stick close to my leg. She also knows "back under" meaning to go backwards between my legs when I step back, so it is still a little confusing for her but we are getting there. :)

Make sure the dog understands how to find heel position regardless i.e. to line up with your leg. So will the dog find position with your front leg forward/leg back. Thats about all I did and my youngster has no issues heeling backwards regardless of how many paces I want.

When I taught this I used a left turn as a starting point. Turn into a left turn & take a very small step back, reward & carry on forward - as though you are asking for more back-end swing to start with. Hope that makes sense

1328684481[/url]' post='5714939']

Make sure the dog understands how to find heel position regardless i.e. to line up with your leg. So will the dog find position with your front leg forward/leg back. Thats about all I did and my youngster has no issues heeling backwards regardless of how many paces I want.

Same here.biggrin.gif

They both can "find" heel from anywhere, but moving back with me is just not making sense - so the way I am trying is not right for them.

When I taught this I used a left turn as a starting point. Turn into a left turn & take a very small step back, reward & carry on forward - as though you are asking for more back-end swing to start with. Hope that makes sense

I like this idea - will give it a go.

Hi All,

I am thinking through training some of the actions for rally, and can't think of a logical way to train the heeling backwards action.

I don't clicker train, but use food, toys etc.

I have obedience competion dogs if that makes a difference.

Any ideas?

EXPERIMENT but progress VERY slowly

I hope this helps

I am ALOT better at working with dogs and people in person when I can adjust my advice as needed, instantly

I find it MUCH more difficult to explain how to do anything in writing

Start with the dog standing facing you.

Use guides i.e. a wall on one side and a PVC jump pole or a line of bricks on the ground on other side

You can even use your arms as guides

Try till you find what works best with your dog and what you are most comfortable with yourself

Whatever you use, as guides, MUST make the dog comfortable NOT create stress in the dog!

Hold both hands with food in each hand, as lures, on BOTH sides of dog's head at eye levels

SHUFFLE foward just a teeny bit into the dog, while very carefully and slowly sliding the food back just a bit in both hands, at both his eye level on either side of his face

When you feed, feed from BOTH hands, simultaneously, so the dog does not orient to one side or the other

Try different positions, till you find one causes the dog to move even one perfect 1 step back

INSTANTLY say YES and reward

Try progressing VERY slowly and remember to

REWARD THE POSITION (1 or more foot moves STRAIGHT back)with "YES" or a clicker INSTANTLY and then food to follow

Shape and condition the behavior in very tiny increments/ chunks/steps till each small chunk is perfect 10X in a row THEN move in tiny bits closer and closer to your goal

Name the behavior "back back back" AFTER the dog is taking at least 3 steps STRAIGHT back

IF your dog seems to progress then he revert back, DROP BACK, temporarily, to the last chunk of behavior, in which the dog was successful 10X in a row

Do not push ahead till the dog does the chunk you are working on PERFECTLY at least 6 times in a row

The last BIG chunk, is to switch to having the dog at your side. The begin to break the behavior down into very small chunks again