Litter Due In April 2012

Bilbo Baggins

Ptolomy,

There were 8 in total. 4 males and 4 females. The first one was born at 1:40 am and then there was nothing. She stopped contracting. I gave her a half dose of Oxy at 2:45 and no action, so at 3:10am the phone call to the vet was made.

Mia's first two litters were whelped with ease and very quickly. They started about 5pm and was all over by 9pm. The first litter there were 11 puppies and the second one 9 puppies.

The vet does not know why this time she had such trouble. The whole mating was weird too. In the past it has been text book. Day 11, stood for two days. excellent ties, and no dramas with anything. This time, I went to Sydney to see the stud dog. Did a swag of prog tests. Got a mating on day 13, but the stud did not seem overally keen (proven stud and sire of a number of champions), the next two days, they both were not really keen or interested. Got another prog test on day 15 - 22, and dog still not interested, even Mia was not interested where normally she is a real tart at this stage. So we did an AI on the Friday before I had to be back in Brisbane.

My weights ranged from the 140 grams, 2 x 180 grams, a few at 270 grams with the heaviest being 311 grams. As she has larger litters, her weight ranges have all been around the same. Mia herself is not a large bitch.

They are all doing well. They have not lost weight from yesterday to today. The littest one has remained the same so I am happy at that. The larger ones have gained weight.

Edit: LOL on the sleep. I was up 36 hours straight. I had a well deserved rest last night and got someone else to baby sit for me.

Edited by Mystiqview

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad it all turned out with a happy ending and I hope the babies continue to thrive.

I am happy I only have 3 to deal with - Mum is a first time mum and is very reluctant to leave her babies and when she does she comes in and counts them, gathers them in and tries to lay on them. That then causes them to squeal so she becomes frantic and she digs up the vetbed causing the babies to go flying. This morning I transferred the babies to the washing basket so that I could change the bedding and next thing mum is in the basket with the babies. When the pups were put back into the box mum got back into the basket and kept digging up all the bedding looking for them. She is getting better thank goodness, but it has been a tough couple of days. I am thankful I had my human kids a long long time ago as I don't do lack of sleep very well - makes for one very grumpy Ptolomy :)

Missymoo what food do you give your babies first up? I am after some suggestions :D

My babies are all doing well. They are 9 days old today and 2 out of the 3 have hit the 1kg mark. Mum is settling down after becoming very protective and wanting to dig up the whelping box and lay on the babies. One evening I heard the babies screaming - so raced in to find the whelping box had been dug up and i could only find 2 of the puppies. Mum had put the third one in the clothes basket, covered it with a towel and was laying on it.

wow Ptolomy! she's really full on!

Knowing who mum is - did I really expect anything else :) Interesting that she is not aggressive towards any of the other kids, happy to run with them, jumps the inside gate to be with them. My first day back at work and I got home and she had trashed the single bed I had been sleeping in which is in the same room as the whelping box - doona and sheets had been partly removed from the bed and the pillow was on the floor. At least she had left the whelping box alone :-)

I use black hawk, soak it overnight then puree it with some warm water to make a slush :). For the next week or so it's really just tasting of the food, mabe once a day to give them the idea, they are three weeks on Sunday :)

I've always weaned onto complete puppy food before but this time my adults are all on raw, so i am thinking about starting with a mince and goats milk slushy - would it be best to get mince without bone or is it ok to start off with my chicken mince with bone in it?

There are 4 recognised colours in mini schnauzers - black, black & silver, pepper & salt and white. White has been recognised for a few years now in the UK and Australia has finally updated their breed standard more recently to recognise the colour and the first white litter has now been born in Aus from import parents.

The white pups are born white with pink extremities, the nose, lips, ears, pads turning black in the first week of life.

MAN, JUST BEEN BUSY..OOPS CAPS, SORRY!

Silly computer, kept doing it!

Pups are 5 weeks on sunday, they are so cute, really really outgoing and into thier food, more so then other litters Ive had. Miss Pink is named Lola...(yes, I sing to her too, lol!) she will stay here unless her teeth are aweful, ahhh to be paitant and wait for them to come through! LOL!

I also am running on a boy who will go and be shown by a friend...havnt decided which one yet, but two have caught my eye :)