Bacterial Infection

cowanbree

Last Sunday my 3yr old fit and healthy 30kg Aussie Reeve died. As tragic and hard to accept as that is the fact that I have not been able to come up with a reason for why makes it so much worse so I am hoping that perhaps other DOLs have had a similar experience which will help me put my mind at rest.

On Saturday morning Reeve had diarrhoea. No blood in it or any mucus or colour. He was obviously feeling quite crook and went and sat with his head over the water bowl taking small drinks which he then regurgitated. I wouldn't normally rush a dog with diarrhoea to the vet but he looked so uncomfortable I thought it might pay so off we went.

Prior to leaving he had one more episode of diarrhoea and also urinated inside which was totally unlike him. No blood in anything. He was walking fine, had normal gum refill but did have a temperature of 39.5.

Vet agreed it was most likely a gastro and we decided to put him on fluids, maxalon and IV antibotics just to be on the safe side. I rang several times during the day, no further diarrhoea and he had picked up within himself but still wasn't eating so we decided to leave him overnight so he could stay on fluids.

Needless to say after hearing he had improved with what I thought was a simple gastro it was a huge shock to get the phone call the next day to say he had died

I have had an autopsy done as well as lab tests done and the only thing I can add is he had blood in his abdomen. The pathologist is of the opinion that he most likely died of a bacterial infection from something he ate. I just don't understand that. In hindsight he was perhaps fractionally quiet the day prior but ate his tea and had a play with his mate just prior to bed. How can you go from this to dead in just over 24hrs from a bacterial infection even with IV antibiotics and fluids?

I suspect poison of some sort but they are fairly sure it isn't. Other than a slight temperature and the diarrhoea on 3 occasions he was not seriously ill and it happened so quickly

I am not seeking to blame anyone, I just need peace of mind. PMs are fine

post-808-0-59860400-1328869516_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry, Cowanbree. It is pretty clear you didn't write here asking for sympathies but rather, asking for answers. I'm afraid I can't help you with the latter but I also cannot help myself from extending to you my condolences for what has occurred, and for the shock, loss and confusion you must be feeling right now.

I do hope you find the answers and I hope in doing so they allow you some closure so that you can turn more quickly to healing from the hurt of what has happened. :hug:

RIP Reeve :rainbowbridge:

Edited by Erny

I'm so sorry... I don't believe poisoning would have produced the symptoms you described. Perhaps he was just unlucky to get a very severe infection or one that was resistant to the antibiotics? Perhaps it caused some stress on the heart in which case there probably wouldn't have been any signs on autopsy. It is always difficult when it is rapid, unexpected and unexplained and I hope that you find some comfort in the fact that you did take him to the vet as soon as you knew something was up and they did all that they could in the situation. Sometimes you can do all the tests, do all the normal treatments and just never find what the issue is.

Thanks everyone. Presently I am struggling to believe it let alone accept it. It has been devastating to lose Reeve made even worse as I lost his best buddy, my first Aussie Quest nearly 12mths ago to pneumonia at only 6yrs and he has been so sad and lost that I finally decided to buy another Aussie, Nova who arrived just prior to Xmas and now she is lost without Reeve. I think perhaps I had best stick to my shelties, they live to grand old ages

I am so very sorry to hear about your loss.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for with the autopsy, although be prepared for the fact you may not get the answer you seek.

It doesn't sound like any poison I know of but that is not to say it isn't. DId they think he may have had a bowel perforation or something like that?

Such a heart breaking time for you and your Aussies.

The unanswered question from the autopsy is where did the blood in the abdomen come from? They must have some idea.

The only conditions I have heard of with similar symptoms and outcomes are bowel obstructions, perforations or torsions or a liver torsion. All can result in death within 12-24 hours of them developing symptoms.

Reeve was last vaccinated at 15mths.. When the autopsy was done the blood was in the abdomen, everything thing else was in perfect shape.

I really expected to hear he had a tumour that ruptured or something along those lines but apparently not. I just struggle to believe a bacterial infection could kill him so quickly with so little signs. My dogs are house dogs and I notice everything

I'm so sorry that you have lost your beautiful boy.

We had something similar with our miniature schnauzer Max. He went from normal but quiet at 9 am to deathly ill 3 hours later.

Antibiotics and fluids weren't enough. He owes his life to a plasma transfusion.

We still don't know the exact cause.