Whoo Hoo I Am Getting Whole Rabbits

Hi everyone I'm getting some whole rabbits minus the guts and fur. I do have a question tho how much should I feed? Should both my golden retrievers get 1 rabbit each for the whole day or half a rabbit each? How much should I give to Missy my whippet and Rascal my chihuahua?

My dogs haven't had rabbit before so I'm trying them out to see if my guys like it. If they do I may buy them more often or when I can get them. I'm getting 4 rabbits for $20.

Hi everyone I'm getting some whole rabbits minus the guts and fur. I do have a question tho how much should I feed? Should both my golden retrievers get 1 rabbit each for the whole day or half a rabbit each? How much should I give to Missy my whippet and Rascal my chihuahua?

My dogs haven't had rabbit before so I'm trying them out to see if my guys like it. If they do I may buy them more often or when I can get them. I'm getting 4 rabbits for $20.

You will have to weigh your dogs and the rabbits.

Missy - 3-5% of her bodyweight PER DAY (not per meal)

The Goldens 2-3%

The Chi - no more than 2%

You can still make and keep a dog fat on rabbit if you overfeed.

You will have to weigh your dogs and the rabbits.

Missy - 3-5% of her bodyweight PER DAY (not per meal)

The Goldens 2-3%

The Chi - no more than 2%

You can still make and keep a dog fat on rabbit if you overfeed.

Ok thanks I'll weigh the rabbits when I get them, 2% of what shelley should weigh it says I should feed her 560grams I was thinking 400grams is plenty for her, Buddy it says 740grams which I think is way too much and will probably feed the same amount as Shelley, Missy says 265 grams at 2.5%. Rascal 60grams at 2%.

Rabbit is the only meat / carcass my dogs weren't interested in :eek: they just kept burying them and playing with them. Even when I hid a few chunks of rabbit meat in their dinner it was left. And these are dogs raised on a high portion of raw.

Also make sure of your source, check that they are farmed or killed on non rabbit baiting farm areas.

Hope your dogs love them :)

fifi

thats why I wanted to try them first to see if they like them. I'm still researching raw feeding, Should I give them a RMB everyday or every 2 or 3rd day? If I was going to feed 400grams does this sound alright for each day for the goldens

150grams of beef pieces

150grams of lamb,ox heart

100grams of organ

for Missy my whippet at 3%

109grams of beef pieces

109grams of lamb,ox heart

100grams of organ

For rascal

20grams of beef pieces

20grams of lamb,ox heart

20grams of organ

If I feed a RMB eachday I'll only half that amount. Is this still too much organ for them? if so how much organ should I give them weekly in grams? I already buy turkey wings/necks,chicken wings,chicken frames and chicken necks. I can get ox cheek pieces and lamb flaps cut up too.

Mumtoshelley - is this a private or commercial source? I've been trying to source some and the only (pure) rabbit meat I've been able to get had preservatives (pet quality). ..... oh, other than from the local supermarket - cleaned - and they charged $20 per kilogram!! :eek:

As Espinay and others have pointed out, that is far too much organ meat. Organs shouldn't be more than 10% of the diet.

I don't know where you are doing your research but Dr Billinghurst's The Barf Diet would be a good book to buy.

The first concept to grasp is that raw meaty bones are the BASIS of a raw diet. So much meat without bone is not balanced. You should probably base the diet on rabbit and chicken meat ON THE BONE.

This is a prey model diet but personally I'd be concerned about the lack of fibre in it.

Mumtoshelley - is this a private or commercial source? I've been trying to source some and the only (pure) rabbit meat I've been able to get had preservatives (pet quality). ..... oh, other than from the local supermarket - cleaned - and they charged $20 per kilogram!! :eek:

Private source he catches them for human food too. I can also get cleaned rabbits for $8 each at one butchers when they get them, another butcher wants $15 per rabbit cleaned.

I thought it would be too much meat not enough bone and too much organ, I thought they needed some organ with each meal. This is getting confusing for me. So raw meaty bone with some other musscle meat do I put just a little organ or give a full meal of organ once a week. If anyone got some reciepes would be great. Also would fish oil or emu oil be better or both. I do plan on giving a raw whole egg,mackerel,sardines or salmon once or twice a week. I'm all new to this and am quite slow when it comes to learning which is why i'm on the pension so please be nice. I know I need to feed 80% musscle meat 10% bone 10% organ but just finding the reciepe to feed my dogs is a bit difficult.

Private source he catches them for human food too. I can also get cleaned rabbits for $8 each at one butchers when they get them, another butcher wants $15 per rabbit cleaned.

What location are these butchers in? I'd like to go there to get some rabbit if they aren't ridiculously far away :).

ETA: I'm not a canine dietician but as a general rule I tend to think in terms of what my dog has had in a week, rather than what he has had every day. If that's any help to you.

Edited by Erny

If he's a ferreter you could ask him to leave the skin on. In gutting he should be able to leave all the organs in bar the 'pooey' bits. We usually take the intestines/blood out straight away when killed the leave the rest of the organs in for the dogs.

Man he's making a fortune on those rabbits I better get back into it ASAP at that price!

I would love some as well Nekh if you get back into it :). Ballarat is so bad for getting raw foods for the dogs, chicken and beef is about the extent of it then you get ripped off for everything else.

Well rabbit did go down to well with my dogs SHelley ate some then walked away,Buddy had a little bit then walked away, Missy had some licks then left, Rascal didn't even touch it. So I have 1 and half rabbits out of 2 rabbits left which my sister is going to see if her dogs will eat. Missy my whippet was hoping for chicken or turkey lol.

Edited by mumtoshelley

Well rabbit did go down to well with my dogs SHelley ate some then walked away,Buddy had a little bit then walked away, Missy had some licks then left, Rascal didn't even touch it. So I have 1 and half rabbits out of 2 rabbits left which my sister is going to see if her dogs will eat. Missy my whippet was hoping for chicken or turkey lol.

Fast them for 24 hours and try again. A bit of hunger can often overcome reluctance to try a new food.

And heaven knows, it won't hurt them. ;)