Micro Chipping Victoria

eireannmada

Vic Ads Must Include Microchip Number

When advertising a dog in Victoria, your ad must include the dog's full microchip indentification number*. Microchipping laws apply in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria. Advertising a dog in Victoria without including its microchip number is now an offence. If you do not include the dog's microchip number in your ad, we have no choice but to delete your ad and issue a warning. Repeat offenders will be banned. Please help Petlink to enforce this policy by reporting offending ads here. (*Note: A registered domestic animal business may use its Council business registration number as an alternative.)

Read more about the new law at the DPI Victoria website

Directly from Petlink website .............. Effectively means on such sites cannot commence advertising until puppies are micro chipped.

Similar notices appearing on other websites

Huge implication for those of us with rare breeds we normally start to advertise as soon as they are born

Would the easiest way around this could mean microchipping at a few days old? Is this even possible? Is it safe?

All I can say is its making things difficult for as you say those rarer breeds. I certainly advertise upon confirmation of pregnancy! Impossible to microchip then!

Nobody in their right mind would chip a newborn puppy. Imagine sticking that massive needle in a Chi puppy!

It's also tough on rescue groups who often advertise before getting the vetwork done. Especially with kittens which are normally advertised from 5-6 weeks.

As usual the laws make it harder for the people trying to do the right thing.

That was my understanding too, you can have the chip assigned to the pup but it must be inserted before the pup leaves for it's new home. Shopping yesterday l heard a lady complaining she was advertising her oopsie litter of cattle dog x puppies and it was going to cost $ xxxx more to advertise in the local paper because she now had to have the microchipped and the vet would want them vaccinated too then the extra words in the add to include the chip numbers would all add up to more than she was asking for the puppies ($50 each) Her friend commented it would be easier to send them to the RSPCA.

Interesting animals advertised as free to go home don't need to be microchipped prior to be handed over.

Tehre is not really any way around this. I wonder if you could write ads which said "pups expected" but obviously, the site owners have been warned they will be fined or whatever, so will not accept ads.

I cannot understand that ANKC registered pups have to post the microchip number in the ads. The gov. already has a complete paper trail with the registrations of breeders.

I believe that breeders can apply for and pay for a breeders' number and use that instead? But of course, we pay so much already, more payments are unpalatable.

DogsVic should have stood up for themselves more.

I think this will lead to many fewer litters, particularly in "rare"breeds. And I don't think it will makea shred of difference to puppy farmers.

I don't have a problem with microshipping, and if I need to put it in the advert so be it. What really peeves me however, is the exemption from having to put the microchip numbers in for 'commercial breeders; (ie puppy farmers). They only need to put in their commerical licence number.

You would assume that they would still microchip as it is now required by law, but it does given them an advantage over the small registered, hobby breeders (you know, the ones who actually give a damn about their breeds) who wait until the pup is mature enough for the chipping.

But hey, when has this state government NOT come up with a reactive (you could say knee jerk) and poorly planned piece of legislation when it comes to dogs.....!

Tehre is not really any way around this. I wonder if you could write ads which said "pups expected" but obviously, the site owners have been warned they will be fined or whatever, so will not accept ads.

Yes, I think you could do that. Here is what the DPI say.

Q. What if I'm a breeder advertising the future availability of puppies or kittens that aren't born or for sale yet?

A. As long as your advertisement relates only to the future availability of litters, and does not include reference to animals currently "for sale", the microchip requirements do not apply. However such advertisements must be kept up to date, in that as soon as these animals do become available for sale, the microchip details must also be displayed in the advertisement.

The OP's ad was accepted by the advertiser, it's online now, and hopefully it won't be deleted.

These laws are supposed to curb puppy farmers, or track them, or something - I cannot find out what. The relevant Government department has NFI.

It is quite obvious that this is all about registered breeders, and once agan, will lead to more breeders not breeding any more.

Dogsvic didn't do much about this. I thought they were having input. However it is quite possible govt didn't listen to them.

I don't have a problem with microshipping, and if I need to put it in the advert so be it. What really peeves me however, is the exemption from having to put the microchip numbers in for 'commercial breeders; (ie puppy farmers). They only need to put in their commerical licence number.

You would assume that they would still microchip as it is now required by law, but it does given them an advantage over the small registered, hobby breeders (you know, the ones who actually give a damn about their breeds) who wait until the pup is mature enough for the chipping.

But hey, when has this state government NOT come up with a reactive (you could say knee jerk) and poorly planned piece of legislation when it comes to dogs.....!

Commercial breeders are required to chip via a separate piece of legislation than the advertising one. They have extra laws regarding notification to councils of puppy purchasers as well and are, in theory, closely monitored to ensure they abide by all their rules. That is most of the reason for the difference under the advertising legislation.

Not saying the rules are perfect, not by a long shot, just pointing out that there is no particular advantage under the actual legislation. They still have to have the puppies chipped before advertising, but most of them chip/vaccinate at five or six weeks so that the pup is out the door at the minimum allowable 8 weeks. :(

Unfortunately, the legislation won't work unless it is properly enforced and that's not very likely....:(

Just a little question, looking at the Rott ads on DoL, no one is saying a price, only saying that pups are available. How would anyone know if they were give aways or that breeders wanted money for these pups. Surely just advertising that you have a litter of pups does not constitute you selling the said litter, it can be construed that you are just informing the public that there is another breeding on the ground. I think that is a loop hole what do others think.

Commercial breeders are required to chip via a separate piece of legislation than the advertising one. They have extra laws regarding notification to councils of puppy purchasers as well and are, in theory, closely monitored to ensure they abide by all their rules. That is most of the reason for the difference under the advertising legislation.

Not saying the rules are perfect, not by a long shot, just pointing out that there is no particular advantage under the actual legislation. They still have to have the puppies chipped before advertising, but most of them chip/vaccinate at five or six weeks so that the pup is out the door at the minimum allowable 8 weeks. :(

Unfortunately, the legislation won't work unless it is properly enforced and that's not very likely....:(

Then why does this legislation specifically exempt the commercial breeders, saying that they can just put in their licence number?

Commercial breeders or registered breeders with 10 or more fertile dogs apply for their licence thru their local council. It's then the council/ rangers responsibility to ensure they are breeding a in a suitable manner and to remove or refunse to grant a licence if they don't meet the minimum standards for animal welfare outlined in the Code

Commercial breeders don't need to advetise each chip number due to the large volume of pups they are sellling just their licence number.

Just a little question, looking at the Rott ads on DoL, no one is saying a price, only saying that pups are available. How would anyone know if they were give aways or that breeders wanted money for these pups. Surely just advertising that you have a litter of pups does not constitute you selling the said litter, it can be construed that you are just informing the public that there is another breeding on the ground. I think that is a loop hole what do others think.

I think you should read the information from the DPI website that has already been posted in this thread.

this does also apply to kittens too, not just puppies. As for it being policed, don't worry, you have both Gumtree & Petlink actively encouraging adds to be reported to them if no nos are quoted in the adds, you have the general public told to report any adds on council noticeboards to the council, and heaven forbid that there was a typo in the no in your add, the buyer is also told to report you to the DPI if it turns out that the no in the add is not the same as the no on the chip (which I also imagine could be easy if there is multiple animals being chipped at the same time too and the vet puts the wrong sticker on the wrong bit of paper - all designed to do all the work of followup for the DPI without them needing to have anymore feet on ground to do so. Sucks that I cannot even advertise my own kittens on my own website, let alone anywhere else until hey are chipped, which won;t be until they are desexed at approx 11 weeks of age - they are just not big enough to be chipped any earlier. And since the Pethaven FB group is now actively encouraging everyone to look over their fences and dob anyone with more than 2 cats or dogs into their local councils, to make sure they are not rogue owners, Big Brother is well and truly walking amongst us.

this does also apply to kittens too, not just puppies. As for it being policed, don't worry, you have both Gumtree & Petlink actively encouraging adds to be reported to them if no nos are quoted in the adds, you have the general public told to report any adds on council noticeboards to the council, and heaven forbid that there was a typo in the no in your add, the buyer is also told to report you to the DPI if it turns out that the no in the add is not the same as the no on the chip (which I also imagine could be easy if there is multiple animals being chipped at the same time too and the vet puts the wrong sticker on the wrong bit of paper - all designed to do all the work of followup for the DPI without them needing to have anymore feet on ground to do so. Sucks that I cannot even advertise my own kittens on my own website, let alone anywhere else until hey are chipped, which won;t be until they are desexed at approx 11 weeks of age - they are just not big enough to be chipped any earlier. And since the Pethaven FB group is now actively encouraging everyone to look over their fences and dob anyone with more than 2 cats or dogs into their local councils, to make sure they are not rogue owners, Big Brother is well and truly walking amongst us.

Yes, you should probably read the DPI website too.

I would hate to think that people stop advertising rescue animals, just because they are unaware of the new rules. If a vet gets the microchip paperwork wrong, the vet is responsible for that error.

I thought you could pay for the chip and have it set aside for you by the vet in advance. That way you will know what the number is before it is inserted into the dog at 6 to 8 weeks of age, and you can start advertising early.

Yeah I'm fairly sure you can do this which would fix the problem.

I thought you could pay for the chip and have it set aside for you by the vet in advance. That way you will know what the number is before it is inserted into the dog at 6 to 8 weeks of age, and you can start advertising early.

Yeah I'm fairly sure you can do this which would fix the problem.

What if the vet mixes them up? Who is responsible for the change of numbers? Or wouldn't it matter in the final analysis? Could a reserve of 6 numbers be quoted in an ad and then allocated randomly to the six pups from said advertised litter?