Hawkesbury Pound

Allowing one private group to monopolise and control information coming out of any council rate payer funded facility is wrong and unsustainable.

If a system exists that allows someone to tag all the dogs and use them to ask for money on facebook then that system is broken.

I cannot believe that people are actually doing this, and the pounds are allowing it to happen, after the reputable groups have been doing their rescue on DOL probable since DOL started, and the pound knows them, they are letting "unknowns" operate in this way with the lives of the dogs in their hands :cry::cry:

Maree

CPR

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think there is a need for concern and powerlegs has mentioned some of those concerns.

I don't think the concerns have any relevance to DOL however and I think people need to stop including DOL into the discussion. DOL is a social forum, not a rescue specific website. It is a non core business add on to a commercial website about purebred dogs.

The issue is the procedure at Hawkesbury Pound and the risks and associated problems that are now exposing the pound to potential negative outcomes because of the perceived or actual monopolisation of a single rescue organisation.

I'd suggest that rescues with concerns put them in writing to the Council and or Pound staff. Concerns should be made in a reasonable and considered manner. Abusive correspondence and or calls are much less likely to be considered seriously.

I do think there is a need for concern and powerlegs has mentioned some of those concerns.

I don't think the concerns have any relevance to DOL however and I think people need to stop including DOL into the discussion. DOL is a social forum, not a rescue specific website. It is a non core business add on to a commercial website about purebred dogs.

The issue is the procedure at Hawkesbury Pound and the risks and associated problems that are now exposing the pound to potential negative outcomes because of the perceived or actual monopolisation of a single rescue organisation.

I'd suggest that rescues with concerns put them in writing to the Council and or Pound staff. Concerns should be made in a reasonable and considered manner. Abusive correspondence and or calls are much less likely to be considered seriously.

I think the only relevance it has to DOL is that members on here are discussing their experiences and finding out they are not alone in issues that are affecting them.

I hope some constructive correspondence can be had between the pound and the people experiencing problems and they can be resolved. DOL is not a mandantory thing for people involved in rescue but those that have used it for the many years it has been a great resource and it would be sad to see it go.

There's more than one issue; some of them have been done to death on DOL yet some of the same suspects turn up for another brawl every time 'Hawkesbury' appears in a thread title.

1. Allegation that the pound has appointed (de facto) one group as the rescue point-of-contact

2. Allegations that the appointed group is making errors

3. Allegation that certain other volunteers have been excluded from access to the dogs and cut out of the info loop

4. Control of volunteers' photographs and temp notes after they've appeared on DOL

5. Lack of a regular/reliable Hawkesbury thread on DOL

As ~Anne~ has pointed out, issues 1 and 2 should be taken up with the pound and/or the council administration. Issue 3 is also a matter to be negotiated and resolved directly with the pound. Issues 3 and 4 have led to issue 5, which is the bit that matters on DOL—and that is where this thread started, and should have stayed.

There's more than one issue; some of them have been done to death on DOL yet some of the same suspects turn up for another brawl every time 'Hawkesbury' appears in a thread title.

1. Allegation that the pound has appointed (de facto) one group as the rescue point-of-contact

2. Allegations that the appointed group is making errors

3. Allegation that certain other volunteers have been excluded from access to the dogs and cut out of the info loop

4. Control of volunteers' photographs and temp notes after they've appeared on DOL

5. Lack of a regular/reliable Hawkesbury thread on DOL

As ~Anne~ has pointed out, issues 1 and 2 should be taken up with the pound and/or the council administration. Issue 3 is also a matter to be negotiated and resolved directly with the pound. Issues 3 and 4 have led to issue 5, which is the bit that matters on DOL—and that is where this thread started, and should have stayed.

Yes quite a few of the same people pop up including Blacktown List when Hawkesbury is mentioned. Thank you for letting me know what has caused the problem.

Well there was at least one greyhound

‎152 PCC

surrendered due 14.02.12

greyhound one year old girl

that very nearly missed out. She went to FOTH at the very last minute - she certainly wasn't safe until the final hour

This dog had a rescue group as soon as it entered the pound

That group then organized pickup

That is why she was safe and didn't need photos

The issue at hand is the need to give the Hawkesbury dogs reliable exposure on DOL.

I understand the pound policy works like this: kill day is Thursday and every dog with a due date through to, and including, Thursday is under sentence of death. So they should be regarded as 'urgent' from Friday onwards.

Now it should be possible to keep track of the dogs in the pound by their due dates, and put up a list of the week's urgents on DOL on Sunday or Monday. But the photo gallery on the pound website is not a reliable database. Dogs are put in and dropped from the gallery at staff discretion; some never even make it onto the website. One thing that does help: there's an RSS feed of the gallery updates.

It seems that by Tuesday the pound staff are working with an informal list of dogs that have no adoption interest—that's as close as Hawkesbury gets to a Blacktown-style 'kill list'. This is where it's important to have a source (i.e. a volunteer) inside the pound—someone who gets to see the list, and who can find out which dogs do have names on them. As I've mentioned, there is another website where this information is published, and you don't need to have a membership on the site to see it.

Anyway, back to DOL: If time allows I'm going to put up that list of Hawkesbury's urgents at the start of each week. I will welcome anyone's contribution of info from inside the pound.

Why is the list unable to be put up by the volunteers that go to Hawkesbury Pound? Kelscats has said her latest experience and that others know that some dogs were at risk of being put to sleep.

Who would you be Blacktown List? Are you a representative of the group on the social networking page, as you seem to be able to get the put to sleep list when others on the ground at Hawkebury pound are no longer allowed to see? What happens when you don't have time to do a Hawkesbury Pound list even though Kelscats states she was at the pound and could have met the dogs?

This seems to have happened just before Christmas and now the dogs are the ones that are suffering. Exactly what people were worried about in the first place. Putting a hold on a dog to stop he/she being put to sleep is a risky move by whoever does that, they risk pounds refusing to hold dogs over if not collected before pts time, if their hold continually falls through.

I have read and reread Kelscats post and nowhere in it does she say she was unable to see the list or temptest and photograph any dogs

It's simply a matter of this week she got the day off because ALL the dogs had adoption or rescue interest

Kelscats is the only person doing DOL at the moment and has free access to the whole shelter and the list noone else Has enquired .

It would appear that people are looking to create drama where there is none

Also staff call directly rescuers when a dog becomes desperate and they are not above begging . With this happening behind the scenes yes people on DOL may not be aware of it

but it is happening either by email or directly phoning

Staff are well aware of who helps particular breeds ,sizes and types of dogs and lots of rescues are aware of this

No one monopolizes dogs or the list just phone and ask

Edited by kidspirit

Do you work at the pound kidspirit?

I've not noticed you before and it appears you are speaking from authority? To be fair, that is probably saying more about my lack of observation than anything else as I can see you have made a few hundred posts. :)

Yes I do

I have tried not to post about these things but when kelscats words are so badly twisted I won't sit by with my mouth shut

And poor Marie from CPR thinks staff would not call her direct if needed because of a threat like this it really upsets me as staff hold her and others like her in the highest reguard for the work Marie and others have done for hawkesbury dogs

This thread went from where is the hawkesbury thread ? to bagging out loyal staff that genuinely admire the rescues that they deal with and work extra hard to get a save for every dog with a lot of behind the scenes contact that isn't on any Internet site

So a thread like this needs to be corrected because it must upset it's own users

That is why I felt the need to post

‎152 PCC

surrendered due 14.02.12

that very nearly missed out. She went to FOTH at the very last minute - she certainly wasn't safe until the final hour

That is very sad.

We are always ready and able to list immediately with at least a mug shot or even better, one of Kel's pics and notes. I'm sorry but with so many other obligations, battling to get information when it's not forthcoming is tiresome.

:(

Did you ring the pound for a list ?

Who would you like the list sent to ?

Just ring and ask it is forthcoming but cannot be just sent out into cyberspace

Or if you cannot call the pound ask Kelscats she will gladly give it to you

Also HCC 118 a jack female was also on the list, which was not safe until I got a phone call letting me know.

For god sake bring back the Hawkesbury thread, I like many others relied on it as I have to look at many pounds throughout the state and haven't got the time to look at both dol and facebook.

Jill has stated she was phoned direct by staff

Yes it would be great to have a hawkesbury thread

Staff are NOT responsible for there being no DOL thread and have always greatly supported it

So it is Hawkesbury Pound that are not forthcoming with information about dogs in need or is it someone acting on their behalf (officially or unofficially)?

It looks to me as though "someone or group" are either putting their name on them all, then trying to find takers, or Hawkesbury are not being forthcoming with correct information. Either way it truly sucks as it is the dogs that are going to suffer.

Powerlegs - it is not your fault. The grey was so desperate a greyhound trainer in Bathurst was going to take her and hold her until a rescue group could take her, then FOTH took her.

Thankyou for taking Lucy she is a wonderful dog

But noone has a monoly of hawkesbury dogs

as you must be aware greyhound rescues are ALWAYS contacted direct by pound staff

They would appear on the list until a definate hold is put on them but contact had been made about her so KELSCATS dint need to photograph her

Kelscats has a young family and her own commitments staff would not tell her to work on a dog that had an option

‎152 PCC

surrendered due 14.02.12

That is very sad.

We are always ready and able to list immediately with at least a mug shot or even better, one of Kel's pics and notes. I'm sorry but with so many other obligations, battling to get information when it's not forthcoming is tiresome.

I was being emailed the list every week. And have never been able to get one over the phone. :)

This week apparently all the dogs were safe by the time Kel got there. Ok, fine that's great, nobody is complaining. The confusion is that a list was being posted on facebook stating several dogs were not and needed rescue or adoption.

So which is it? :confused:

‎152 PCC

surrendered due 14.02.12

that very nearly missed out. She went to FOTHI at the very last minute - she certainly wasn't safe until the final hour

That is very sad.

I was being emailed the list every week. And have never been able to get one over the phone. :)

This week apparently all the dogs were safe by the time Kel got there. Ok, fine that's great, nobody is complaining. The confusion is that a list was being posted on facebook stating several dogs were not and needed rescue or adoption.

Perhaps Facebook didn't ring for updates

That is not my concern

I am offended by the insinuation that staff are with holding information when nothing is further from the truth

Also when was the last time anyone from DOL photograph or temp test any hawkesbury dogs ?

So if there is no thread on here what will a list achieve ?

But if you want a list again just ring and you will be emailed one

Staff have not been involved in the politics between DOL and FB we just keep chipping away at the list however we can and it is unjust to pull us into it . every dog there is important to us and we do everything we can to get them the best possible chance

But sometimes it's toooooo hard to keep my mouth shut and I have managed up until now but this thread is a direct attack on (I feel ) ME

So before anyone else postes about the staff make sure you know what your taking about because I can answer correctly

The issue at hand is the need to give the Hawkesbury dogs reliable exposure on DOL.

I understand the pound policy works like this: kill day is Thursday and every dog with a due date through to, and including, Thursday is under sentence of death. So they should be regarded as 'urgent' from Friday onwards.

Now it should be possible to keep track of the dogs in the pound by their due dates, and put up a list of the week's urgents on DOL on Sunday or Monday. But the photo gallery on the pound website is not a reliable database. Dogs are put in and dropped from the gallery at staff discretion; some never even make it onto the website. One thing that does help: there's an RSS feed of the gallery updates.

It seems that by Tuesday the pound staff are working with an informal list of dogs that have no adoption interest—that's as close as Hawkesbury gets to a Blacktown-style 'kill list'. This is where it's important to have a source (i.e. a volunteer) inside the pound—someone who gets to see the list, and who can find out which dogs do have names on them. As I've mentioned, there is another website where this information is published, and you don't need to have a membership on the site to see it.

Anyway, back to DOL: If time allows I'm going to put up that list of Hawkesbury's urgents at the start of each week. I will welcome anyone's contribution of info from inside the pound.

Why is the list unable to be put up by the volunteers that go to Hawkesbury Pound? Kelscats has said her latest experience and that others know that some dogs were at risk of being put to sleep.

Who would you be Blacktown List? Are you a representative of the group on the social networking page, as you seem to be able to get the put to sleep list when others on the ground at Hawkebury pound are no longer allowed to see? What happens when you don't have time to do a Hawkesbury Pound list even though Kelscats states she was at the pound and could have met the dogs?

This seems to have happened just before Christmas and now the dogs are the ones that are suffering. Exactly what people were worried about in the first place. Putting a hold on a dog to stop he/she being put to sleep is a risky move by whoever does that, they risk pounds refusing to hold dogs over if not collected before pts time, if their hold continually falls through.

I have read and reread Kelscats post and nowhere in it does she say she was unable to see the list or temptest and photograph any dogs

It's simply a matter of this week she got the day off because ALL the dogs had adoption or rescue interest

Kelscats is the only person doing DOL at the moment and has free access to the whole shelter and the list noone else Has enquired .

It would appear that people are looking to create drama where there is none

Also staff call directly rescuers when a dog becomes desperate and they are not above begging . With this happening behind the scenes yes people on DOL may not be aware of it

but it is happening either by email or directly phoning

Staff are well aware of who helps particular breeds ,sizes and types of dogs and lots of rescues are aware of this

No one monopolizes dogs or the list just phone and ask

Please re-read my post then as it was a question! Blacktown List said the dogs being on that weeks pts list being able to be found on HP council website, where I thought people were able to find out if they went to the pound.

Kelscats was told and shown that dogs were safe but then finding on social networking site that dogs were needing rescue or adoption causing even more confusion.

No drama wanted, but it is getting frustrating having so many different responses what dogs need rescue or not. But if on the ground ready to do temp tests and photo's but been shown all dogs are safe then finding out otherwise would be bloody horrible.

It seems that even people going to HP personally are having a hard time knowing what is going on let alone trying to find out via the internet via DOL, HP website or social networking.

Most of the other questions were directed to Blacktown List also....

Edited by Malti

‎152 PCC

surrendered due 14.02.12

that very nearly missed out. She went to FOTHI at the very last minute - she certainly wasn't safe until the final hour

That is very sad.

Perhaps Facebook didn't ring for updates

That is not my concern

I am offended by the insinuation that staff are with holding information when nothing is further from the truth

Also when was the last time anyone from DOL photograph or temp test any hawkesbury dogs ?

So if there is no thread on here what will a list achieve ?

But if you want a list again just ring and you will be emailed one

Staff have not been involved in the politics between DOL and FB we just keep chipping away at the list however we can and it is unjust to pull us into it . every dog there is important to us and we do everything we can to get them the best possible chance

But sometimes it's toooooo hard to keep my mouth shut and I have managed up until now but this thread is a direct attack on (I feel ) ME

So before anyone else postes about the staff make sure you know what your taking about because I can answer correctly

So why was Kelscats get send home with the information that no dog needed rescue or adoption this week, when at least 2 dogs were unconfirmed.

If it is the FB presence that is causing the confusion, perhaps it is best not to look at it.

It seems that kidspirit, acting as an employee or spokesperson, has indicated that the system has not changed at the pound.

I might be speaking out of turn but I really feel that it best that all rescues only speak directly with the pound to express concerns and to determine dogs in need. Ignore the FB presence.

I can understand the concerns and I feel a few myself but it is important that people rise above it. Concentrate on the great work you do. Develop and grow stronger relationships with the pounds and other like minded rescues. Put your concerns in writing to those who should know.