Hawkesbury Pound

Sorry, I am just trying to clarify for the benefit of people reading, and myself, what the issue is.

If there are none to rescue then why would they need to be listed here?

Why are there none needing rescue?

There is obvious angst simmering in this thread.

For me there is no issue at all, i went to the pound with my stuff to temp test

i was told that the dogs that were on the list were safe so i went out the back and

spent time with the 2 bulldogs one of which i came home with.

That is why there is no thread for hawkesbury this week.

Next Monday i will be there taking photo's for the urgents as per normal just like

i was there this week.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there was at least one greyhound

‎152 PCC

surrendered due 14.02.12

greyhound one year old girl

that very nearly missed out. She went to FOTH at the very last minute - she certainly wasn't safe until the final hour

Well there was at least one greyhound

‎152 PCC

surrendered due 14.02.12

greyhound one year old girl

that very nearly missed out. She went to FOTH at the very last minute - she certainly wasn't safe until the final hour

That is very sad.

We are always ready and able to list immediately with at least a mug shot or even better, one of Kel's pics and notes. I'm sorry but with so many other obligations, battling to get information when it's not forthcoming is tiresome.

:(

Also HCC 118 a jack female was also on the list, which was not safe until I got a phone call letting me know.

For god sake bring back the Hawkesbury thread, I like many others relied on it as I have to look at many pounds throughout the state and haven't got the time to look at both dol and facebook.

So it is Hawkesbury Pound that are not forthcoming with information about dogs in need or is it someone acting on their behalf (officially or unofficially)?

It looks to me as though "someone or group" are either putting their name on them all, then trying to find takers, or Hawkesbury are not being forthcoming with correct information. Either way it truly sucks as it is the dogs that are going to suffer.

Powerlegs - it is not your fault. The grey was so desperate a greyhound trainer in Bathurst was going to take her and hold her until a rescue group could take her, then FOTH took her.

So it is Hawkesbury Pound that are not forthcoming with information about dogs in need or is it someone acting on their behalf (officially or unofficially)?

It looks to me as though "someone or group" are either putting their name on them all, then trying to find takers, or Hawkesbury are not being forthcoming with correct information. Either way it truly sucks as it is the dogs that are going to suffer.

Powerlegs - it is not your fault. The grey was so desperate a greyhound trainer in Bathurst was going to take her and hold her until a rescue group could take her, then FOTH took her.

And she is a beautiful cat friendly greyhound who is safely in care with me. Its such a shame that this has happened to the Hawkesbury thread and that many dogs and cats maybe lost. kelcats has done a wonderful job cat testing greyhounds for me in the past but i did used to rely alot on the thread on DOL to know when a grey was in need. Its all such a mess.

Edited by skyesblue

I heard the same thing was happening at Blacktown where a group had their name on a dog which they were trying to rehome straight from the pound and another rescue group which does that breed like I do Jack Russells was willing to take it but was stopped.

then the home fell through and then they took it anyway, who knows where the dog is now.

I ask how can a group rehome a dog straight from the pound, they couldn't surely have assessed it properly.

Surely pound staff are using their own judgements though and calling specific rescues when needed? Why would they ignore other rescues if the dog is at risk?

Has anyone contacted pound management to express their concerns about dogs being left at risk with this method?

Are rescues failing to take to take appropriate action to resolve the problems faced? If management are not aware of issues they can't be expected to ensure that the issues are resolved.

Anne, to staff who understandably would rather see a dog leave alive and have limited time to make it happen, one single group of people who come along and take full control of the pts list would be very appealing. The details would seem like background noise of rescue bickering.

There's nothing to tell management. Dogs are still getting out. Bottom line is numbers.

The issue at hand is the need to give the Hawkesbury dogs reliable exposure on DOL.

I understand the pound policy works like this: kill day is Thursday and every dog with a due date through to, and including, Thursday is under sentence of death. So they should be regarded as 'urgent' from Friday onwards.

Now it should be possible to keep track of the dogs in the pound by their due dates, and put up a list of the week's urgents on DOL on Sunday or Monday. But the photo gallery on the pound website is not a reliable database. Dogs are put in and dropped from the gallery at staff discretion; some never even make it onto the website. One thing that does help: there's an RSS feed of the gallery updates.

It seems that by Tuesday the pound staff are working with an informal list of dogs that have no adoption interest—that's as close as Hawkesbury gets to a Blacktown-style 'kill list'. This is where it's important to have a source (i.e. a volunteer) inside the pound—someone who gets to see the list, and who can find out which dogs do have names on them. As I've mentioned, there is another website where this information is published, and you don't need to have a membership on the site to see it.

Anyway, back to DOL: If time allows I'm going to put up that list of Hawkesbury's urgents at the start of each week. I will welcome anyone's contribution of info from inside the pound.

From what I understand Hawkesbury works on first in best dressed. I have rung re dogs and put my name down but if someone has beaten me to it then they get first option and the staff go down the list of names until they find the person who will genuinely take the dog. I have to say I have had no problems using their website and then ringing if there are any dogs there I feel the need to step in for but as you all know I am breed specific and thankfully there are not too many of them that end up at Hawkesbury.

The issue at hand is the need to give the Hawkesbury dogs reliable exposure on DOL.

I understand the pound policy works like this: kill day is Thursday and every dog with a due date through to, and including, Thursday is under sentence of death. So they should be regarded as 'urgent' from Friday onwards.

Now it should be possible to keep track of the dogs in the pound by their due dates, and put up a list of the week's urgents on DOL on Sunday or Monday. But the photo gallery on the pound website is not a reliable database. Dogs are put in and dropped from the gallery at staff discretion; some never even make it onto the website. One thing that does help: there's an RSS feed of the gallery updates.

It seems that by Tuesday the pound staff are working with an informal list of dogs that have no adoption interest—that's as close as Hawkesbury gets to a Blacktown-style 'kill list'. This is where it's important to have a source (i.e. a volunteer) inside the pound—someone who gets to see the list, and who can find out which dogs do have names on them. As I've mentioned, there is another website where this information is published, and you don't need to have a membership on the site to see it.

Anyway, back to DOL: If time allows I'm going to put up that list of Hawkesbury's urgents at the start of each week. I will welcome anyone's contribution of info from inside the pound.

Why is the list unable to be put up by the volunteers that go to Hawkesbury Pound? Kelscats has said her latest experience and that others know that some dogs were at risk of being put to sleep.

Who would you be Blacktown List? Are you a representative of the group on the social networking page, as you seem to be able to get the put to sleep list when others on the ground at Hawkebury pound are no longer allowed to see? What happens when you don't have time to do a Hawkesbury Pound list even though Kelscats states she was at the pound and could have met the dogs?

This seems to have happened just before Christmas and now the dogs are the ones that are suffering. Exactly what people were worried about in the first place. Putting a hold on a dog to stop he/she being put to sleep is a risky move by whoever does that, they risk pounds refusing to hold dogs over if not collected before pts time, if their hold continually falls through.

Blacktoen List, thanks. The offer of putting up a list here will help people in the interim.

Malti, while I can understand what you are saying I think you need to recognise that Hawkesbury pound staff hold ultimate responsibility here, not any other rescue.

If Hawksbury's system is such that one organisation can tentatively hold most of the dogs, and the system shows it can be tenuous at best, then Hawkesbury need to be alerted to the potential problems.

I wouldn't think that it is a sustainable system.

Blacktoen List, thanks. The offer of putting up a list here will help people in the interim.

Malti, while I can understand what you are saying I think you need to recognise that Hawkesbury pound staff hold ultimate responsibility here, not any other rescue.

If Hawksbury's system is such that one organisation can tentatively hold most of the dogs, and the system shows it can be tenuous at best, then Hawkesbury need to be alerted to the potential problems.

I wouldn't think that it is a sustainable system.

I realise it is the pound that is ultimately responsible, but I think the rescue or whatever they are, have a hand in what is now happening and wish it could be clarified who do people go to, to help with the HP dogs. With what has gone on since Christmas nothing is being achieved and now seems one group of people that say they aren't rescue are now monopolised the situation to where to get any information you need to go through them. Yes again, it is the pound that is failing but I also refuse to believe that it has nothing to do with this group of people wanting it that way too, rather than them doing what they do and the other people who go to HP be allowed to continue what they have done. It is a really sad thing to see what people have worked at for years to be ceased and be told what Kelscats was.

I have seen them running after many different names on the social networking site, I have no clue as to why they do this except maybe for people to not know they are working with the one but group with different names.

I am just wondering why Blacktown List is now involved again with being able to find out when it seems Kelscats was at HP and was told there was no list. Are they with the rescue/people that has this information? If not I don't think it is appropriate to write under a group name (such as PL or BTL) without identifying it is an individual's opinion rather than implicating other members of that list as it being their opinion too. Just my opinion on it anyway

Have you raised your concerns directly with the pound staff?

I know what you are saying, I really do. However raiising the issue here does nothing to help or resolve the situation, and in fact, only increases the antagonism and angst.

Have you raised your concerns directly with the pound staff?

I know what you are saying, I really do. However raiising the issue here does nothing to help or resolve the situation, and in fact, only increases the antagonism and angst.

No I haven't personally and it seems this is a new thing that has happened. I hope it is addressed and something can be sorted out. There is no reason why the people that have volunteered at HP for many years should now be unable to continue. I guess it is up to the pound to decide that.

Unfortunately the antagonism and angst is part of the problem if things were not happening that are stopping people from doing their own thing in rescue, there would be no reason for conflict. It has turned into a really sad situation that is still unfolding and so many people in rescue are being affected, people willing to help but are now being misinformed of what is going on just shows it is worsening rather than finding a happy medium where people are not forced to work with people they choose not to or blocked from volunteering for whatever reason.

I suppose my above comment may seem like it is antagonistic but I am just trying to give reasons for the comments made and that it is not just crying over spilt milk, there now seems to be a big problem occurring that is now truly affecting dogs in the pound (two that were at risk of the pts list, but someone was told otherwise). I feel really bad for the person and the dogs and do not understand why a new group appearing is having such a big affect on dogs in a pound, it is truly worrying.

I actually have and did again today because a jack that I had thought I rescue is on their site and saying it is safe but all enquiries to them, why.

So I rang the pound to check if I had the dog or this group and was told that I was getting it.

My only other thoughts is that if people see this dog is now safe with their name and want to donate then the funds will go to them who have had nothing to do with this dog at all, which I have heard has happened before.

I believe my concerns are going to be looked at by the pound.

Allowing one private group to monopolise and control information coming out of any council rate payer funded facility is wrong and unsustainable.

If a system exists that allows someone to tag all the dogs and use them to ask for money on facebook then that system is broken.

HP know our concerns and were told right at the start.

Ball is in their court as you can see.

If we have anyone left who will go in then Dol will get the temp notes and photos.

Has anyone put their concerns in writing formally, ccing the council? Not mentioning DOL of course, because they have no obligation to post thigns on DOL, just the monopoloy and people getting $ for dogs they don't have.