Hawkesbury Pound

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Greytpets,

I was at the pound yesterday with my camera to photograph the urgents for DOL.

I asked Ann for the list and she said the last 2 dogs that were on the list had just

been picked up by rescue ( i seen this myself and this lady also took a surrender from

the day before ).

Ann showed me the list there was only about 6 - 8 dogs on it all of which had either left

the pound or had saves.

I have also since seen dogs in need on FB but not sure why they are in need when

yesterday they were safe.

I was running a weekly Hawkesbury Pound thread across the Xmas-New Year period. I didn't plan to stop doing it but have lately been seriously stretched in maintaining the Blacktown Pound thread; I never get close to doing Hawkesbury.

It's common knowledge where to look on Facebook for Hawkesbury urgents. Can't link to it... it's a banning offence on this forum.

It's common knowledge where to look on Facebook for Hawkesbury urgents. Can't link to it... it's a banning offence on this forum.

There's a reason for that.

I also find it disgraceful that once again you have posted under "Blacktown List" and lumped everyone in on your support of that group.

Nobody should have to look on Facebook and only Facebook to find dogs they could possibly save. I find this whole takeover absolutely disgusting and damaging to every dog in that pound. Nobody should have to be subjected to guilt trips or dogs with mustaches, just to rescue. Nobody should ever need to go through a third party to rescue a dog.

Shameful.

There's a reason for that.

I also find it disgraceful that once again you have posted under "Blacktown List" and lumped everyone in on your support of that group.

Nobody should have to look on Facebook and only Facebook to find dogs they could possibly save. I find this whole takeover absolutely disgusting and damaging to every dog in that pound. Nobody should have to be subjected to guilt trips or dogs with mustaches, just to rescue. Nobody should ever need to go through a third party to rescue a dog.

Shameful.

I have wanted to say this same thing for ages, thank you for doing so.

Maree

CPR

Edited by keetamouse

I'm not on Facebook (though I do get phone calls from people who are) but I usually check to urgent section on DOL to see what is in need of rescue.

Then it just depends on if I can help them. I'm glad that this weeks lot are all hopefully safe.

Playing at being objective here re: comment about logging in to FB. Why should anyone have to log in to DOL using the same reasoning?

You don't need to log into DOL to see everything here. A lot of things on Facebook can only be seen when you are signed up with them.

But I think you missed what I was saying, which is, Facebook is a tool, like DOL, like an email list, like a mobile. Why is Hawkesbury seemingly limiting their resources by only using one of these tools and why are rescuers, who have been using DOL to save dogs for years, suddenly now not being given the information regarding these dogs on here?

It is a shame , I do not have FB account and do not intend to . I only did transport, but it was through looking in the thread that I saw what was needed and then offered if I could . I have not done a transport for ages now

I'm not clear on what rescuers want from a Hawkesbury thread on DOL. Do you want to see all the dogs as they enter the pound? Or just the urgents (e.g. all those with due dates through to kill day)?

How we have have always done it is photograph the dogs that are on the PTS list for the week the ones that have nothing get photograped first and

we work from there.

So i would go into the pound on a Monday see Thursday's list if there are 5 dogs with Nothing i do them first then move onto the dogs that have a name

or more etc.

And who has done this previously? Is there a reason why it has stopped? Is it the pound that has stopped it?

As i said in my earlier post, i was there tuesday with my camera ready to meet the dogs and get their

photo's but ann said there were no dogs left on the list they all had rescue or were safe with adoption.

What people don't realise with hawkesbury is if there are 20 dogs DUE by the thursday they ALL go on the list

if they have saves or not. Then they go through and x off the dogs that have options but as a rule ALL dogs go

on the list to begin with.

So if they have a list with 20 dogs on it there might actually only be 5 that have no options.

The pound staff have never stopped me personally from taking photo's or notes or anything.

What they have or have not done with other people i cannot comment because i don't know.

Sorry, I am just trying to clarify for the benefit of people reading, and myself, what the issue is.

If there are none to rescue then why would they need to be listed here?

Why are there none needing rescue?

There is obvious angst simmering in this thread.

I don't think it's possible to run a Hawkesbury thread on DOL (or any other site) without having people on the ground, in the pound. The pound website doesn't provide much more than a due date. It's only the volunteers who are there talking to the staff who can find out about kill lists, adoption interest and definite saves.

I don't think it's possible to run a Hawkesbury thread on DOL (or any other site) without having people on the ground, in the pound. The pound website doesn't provide much more than a due date. It's only the volunteers who are there talking to the staff who can find out about kill lists, adoption interest and definite saves.

It looks as though the people (such as Kelscats) were on the ground at Hawkesbury Pound have now no information except all the dogs are safe (which is great). Maybe you could let people know who is conactable regarding the Hawkesbury Pound since you seem to know the people that go there and how rescue can find out the dogs that need help.

People do not have to join DOL to see the dogs, but you have to join up to the social networking site.

From my understanding as well Blacktown List, the people representing themselves on the social networking site for Hawkesbury Pound have stated some rescues they will not work with. That they have their information as contact as first preference, unlike on DOL it was only pound contact information, not a 16D holder with numerous rescues associated with them that seem to be the same people (from the same social network page) just under a different names and very confusing and no real clarity on what they actually are in rescue.

If people are wondering why there are no answers and it all seems to be confusing, that is because it is and the social network group will not clearly tell people who or what they do. They ask for donations, foster carers, transport, vet costs, kennelling costs. But then state they are not a rescue.