Pet Expo - Sbt And Amstaff Breed Clubs?

BoStoNmAdNeSs

I don't get what the uproar is all about.

Both the ANKC registered Staffords and Amstaffs in NSW are protected by the deal done by Dogs NSW with the Government of the time prior to the introduction of BLS. Being at the pet expo isn't going to make any difference to either breed surving in NSW.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both the ANKC registered Staffords and Amstaffs in NSW are protected by the deal done by Dogs NSW with the Government of the time prior to the introduction of BLS. Being at the pet expo isn't going to make any difference to either breed surving in NSW.

No, but it's a chance to engage with the public and dispel some myths about their breeds.

Does the Sydney expo run on Friday as well?

When we ran the first Toller stall in Melbourne we got 'told off' for having our stall unattended on the Friday afternoon - even though I'd done a 2 hour round trip on Thursday to see the size of our stall and spent most of the night getting the decorations ready.

It was like um, well, WE HAVE DAY JOBS!!! :mad

It's a big weekend, not all dogs are suitable for working with crowds. For some breed clubs they can run in 3-4 hour shifts, sometimes you just can't get enough people rounded up.

Does the Sydney expo run on Friday as well?

When we ran the first Toller stall in Melbourne we got 'told off' for having our stall unattended on the Friday afternoon - even though I'd done a 2 hour round trip on Thursday to see the size of our stall and spent most of the night getting the decorations ready.

It was like um, well, WE HAVE DAY JOBS!!! :mad

It's a big weekend, not all dogs are suitable for working with crowds. For some breed clubs they can run in 3-4 hour shifts, sometimes you just can't get enough people rounded up.

It was just the sat and sunday this year. It is a big weekend :)

No, but it's a chance to engage with the public and dispel some myths about their breeds.

I think you missed the point PL.

I agree Alkhe, even though atm they might be protected there is nothing set in stone for the future, things can be changed if the public push hard enough :( Its about educating the public and changing their perception.

Was it Wednesday that was looking at the enormous leather collars? (I was looking at collars for the Whippets).

All the dogs that were there were fabulous ambassadors for their breed, The GAP was there, there were lots of beautiful BCs, the DDBordeaux, Staff Rescue, GSD, there were Chihahauaauauauauaauauauus (can't spell) and a few others. There were a lot of breeds not represented. I think the day would have been exhausting for the dogs and their owners, it was quite hot in the morning.

There is the Dogs on Show or soemthing like that at Erskine Park mid year, maybe some of the Amstaff community will be able to attend.

I wonder how many people complaining about the absence of breed clubs are members of one.

Such clubs are often run by a handful of people who run shows, puppy listings, do a news letter and a raft of other activities including rescue.

Yes, it would be ideal if all breeds were represented at such events. But the reality is that people have lives, not everyone has a dog that's up to the task of being grabbed by kids, bashed on the head by folk who think that's how you pat a dog etc. They might be dealing with litters, bitches in season etc too.

Or maybe they have no problem placing pups bred within the club and don't want to make the breed any more popular than it is because they know many of the tyre kickers will simply soak up the advice given, head for the Trading Post and create yet another dog that's going to need rescue down the track because folk heard what they wanted to hear and ignored all the cautionary advice about what the breed needs to thrive. There are plenty of breed fanciers who see popularity as the fast track to disaster for their breed and they have good justification for doing so.

Cynical? Definitely but anyone who's staffed a breed stand at one of these events will tell you what it's like and not everyone can gather the numbers to keep a stand staffed all weekend.

Want to see it change? Join a breed club. Join your breed club. An extra pair of hands will never go unwanted.

Edited by Telida Whippets

Can anyone join? I always presumed it was for owners of papered dogs :confused:

Depends on the club but generally? Yes. You don't even have to own one most of the time.

If you are a breed fancier or aspire to own a member of the breed, I think most clubs will be happy to have you. Of course if you don't aspire to own a papered dog at some stage, you might not be as welcome.

Us dogue people do not have an affiliated breed club. We have a club, but we don't have the numbers to affiliate in any state as yet.

There was only 2 of us manning our stand with 2 dogs each on both days. Thankfully our guys handled it wonderfully, and we just rotated who was in the pen in front so they other 2 could get a rest in the crates behind.

We thought it important to attend to change the breeds perception (and hopefully get some interest in the rescue's I've been getting).

We are also 'protected' under the ANKC/Dogs NSW umbrella BUT, Dogue de Bordeaux's are also AKC registered in the USA, but that hasn't stopped local counties banning them in many areas in the USA (as have Rottweilers, Doberman's and others - even Husky's!!).

Our problem is that guys want big tough dogs, and now that pitbulls are on the outer, these same idiots will turn to the breeds they are 'allowed' to have. Unfortunately, the Dogue is not an aggressive breed, and has too high a tolerance level to 'turn' - and abuse to try to agitate them simply breaks their spirit and hearts - these are some of the dogs we've got through rescue - they haven't turned out 'tough enough'.

It's not about selling puppies - it's about educating the public. My breed looks like a big menacing dangerous breed - I want people to see that the 'look' of a dog has nothing to do with the temperament of the dog. It's the only way that we might be able to change the attitude towards BSL.

Do you mean run the stand or bring your dog to the stand ect? For both i would think you would have to be a member of your breed's club and yes i assume they won't want unpapered dogs rep'ing a breed.

Happy to be corrected if i am wrong.

Edited by german_shep_fan

Do you mean run the stand or bring your dog to the stand ect? For both i would think you would have to be a member of your breed's club and yes i assume they won't want an unpapered dog rep'ing a breed.

I'd agree with that but you don't have to have a dog present on the day to help out.

Was it Wednesday that was looking at the enormous leather collars? (I was looking at collars for the Whippets).

If you're talking about the Rogue Royalty stand - I was there about 10am. The guy has a Bordeaux on his flyer, and my prefix is Roguedogue, so we had to have a chat and I had to get some T-Shirts ;) BUT Leanne, who was with me, also went down later, and she actually bought a collar - so I think you might have seen her.

Do you mean run the stand or bring your dog to the stand ect? For both i would think you would have to be a member of your breed's club and yes i assume they won't want an unpapered dog rep'ing a breed.

I'd agree with that but you don't have to have a dog present on the day to help out.

Lots of clubs prefer owners who are members of their local Canine Council with papered dogs, as they 'need' those members to stay affiliated (it's one the of requirements). However, there are associate memberships with most breed clubs that anyone can join under, and still be included and help with these sorts of things, however, they may not have voting rights.

Different clubs have different opinions on owners of unpapered dogs. I know that I like to educate people and hope the next time they will make different choices, and I think banning them from being involved in a breed club because of this makes us look like we are elitist and can often do more harm than good. We had plenty of unpapered Rottweilers turn up for the Rotty Fun Days when I used to run them for the Rotti Club - and I didn't care :-)

One more thing. Were member of the public permitted to bring their dogs?

I don't think they usually are but if they were permitted, I can see some breed clubs preferring not to be there.

No. Only exhibitors were allowed to bring their dogs.

Given that the SBT is one of the most popular dogs in the country, there's not a lot to dispel when it comes to them and the papered Amstaff is going from strenght to strength.

Given that the SBT is one of the most popular dogs in the country, there's not a lot to dispel when it comes to them and the papered Amstaff is going from strenght to strength.

:rofl: :rofl: Crikey. Pick up a newspaper now and again

We have a lot of members who have unpapered dogs.

Our stand was well manned with lots of dogs, next to the friendly Rottweiller people and their gorgeous dogs. I own a papered dog and my new dog is a cross :eek: - an ex puppy farm Schnauzer X with short legs :D that we rescued.