Smelly Poodle

Charjas

Hi. I've had jasper now since dec and had him groomed once. He's due again this week but I've noticed he's much more smelly than my other toy poodle. Charlie is 3 and has wooly coat. Jasper 7 months and still has slightly wavy coat but I notice more odour now whereas when I had only Charlie I never smelt a doggy smell. He's more active than Charlie so maybe he needs more washes. Also he still scratches a lot. Have changed his food to canine country raw white meat mixed with royal canin junior dry food and occasional chopped chicken necks.

My husband keeps telling me he's not all poodle but the breeder only advertised toys and miniature. Any tips. I hate a doggy smelling house and have windows open constantly and lots of fragrance reeds around.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it be his ears? Do his ears smell? If he is a sensitive itchy dog often they have smelly problem ears.

No hie ears don't smell much different to Charlie's. I clean them outa with that ears stuff each week. Mind you when I got him they had brown gunk in them and I don't think he had ever been washed and he had conjunctivitis

1329616455[/url]' post='5728129']

If you do not have Pedigree papers there is no proof he is pure poodle. I would also be checking thyroid function, low thyroid can cause sparse coat, dry itchy skin.

You could try weekly baths with a soothing oatmeal shampoo.

I am still waiting for the papers. His coat is not sparse.

Edited by Charjas

1329623841[/url]' post='5728271']

The breeder you bought you dog from is well known to be very slow

With pedigree papers

A lot pups leave there with issues sorry but amongst Toy Poodle breeders

This is well known

I didn't say where he came from. But after arrival by plane he was very stressed. he only weighed 1.8 kg. now he is 2.4. Hoping this is not too much weight in a short time. suspect he was in with lots of other puppies ang caught a few things. He leaps into the air to get attention and gulps his food down. Other than that he has a lovely nature although nips Charlie a bit.

1329629131[/url]' post='5728358']

I have three poodles and I bath and clip them every two weeks, my house has never smelt doggy. Are you able to have him groomed more often?

Not really. Was getting Charlie done each month for $50. So to get two I was going to stretch it. I could bath him in between as he doesn't take long to dry. But she does a great job. If I was really smart I would get clippers. I'm not working atm. I'm a teacher applying for permanent jobs and have no casual work yet.

I'd be starting with a visit to the vet to eliminate any issues with teeth, ears, anal glands and skin.

Then I'd be bathing him between grooming visits in a good quality shampoo that's got some skin conditioning/soothing agents.

If the Canine Country stuff has preservatives in it, then I'd be discontinuing feeding it and upping the chicken necks and wings.

1329644493[/url]' post='5728724']

I'd be starting with a visit to the vet to eliminate any issues with teeth, ears, anal glands and skin.

Then I'd be bathing him between grooming visits in a good quality shampoo that's got some skin conditioning/soothing agents.

If the Canine Country stuff has preservatives in it, then I'd be discontinuing feeding it and upping the chicken necks and wings.

I switched Charlie to the canine country from barf about 2 years ago and he's been fine. I'm sure it has no preservatives. Charlie has a very sensitive tummy. Chicken necks are still a tad too big for jasper so I chop a small amount and mix with canine country and dry food. Mind you when he arrived he was on pedigree puppy chicken and rice slop. His anal glands were done last visit when I got him desexed. And I haven't seen him drag his bum since.

I switched Charlie to the canine country from barf about 2 years ago and he's been fine. I'm sure it has no preservatives. Charlie has a very sensitive tummy. Chicken necks are still a tad too big for jasper so I chop a small amount and mix with canine country and dry food. Mind you when he arrived he was on pedigree puppy chicken and rice slop. His anal glands were done last visit when I got him desexed. And I haven't seen him drag his bum since.

A mallet will solve that problem for you. Just put them in a plastic bag and bash them flat. :)

Already desexed? How old was he?

1329651086[/url]' post='5728928']
1329649719[/url]' post='5728885']

A mallet will solve that problem for you. Just put them in a plastic bag and bash them flat. :)

Already desexed? How old was he?

I got him at 5 months. He's 7 months now. Was desexed in January.Thanks for the tip re the mallet. Didn't think of that.

Edited by Charjas