Lectric Soda

Red Fox

Are you using the crystals? You should just stick a whole crystal down the back of the throat - no chewing etc. There are two types of lectic soda - only the crystals should be used I believe.

ETA: you can also just ring an emergency vets, I find they're really good at giving you info. I know you're in a different state but if you ring SARC they are really good: (03) 9532 5261

Edited by megan_

How long does it generally take to induce vomiting?

I've given 2 x 1/2 teaspoon doses over a 45 min period and nothing??

Not sure whether to give another dose, wait it out a little longer or vet trip?

Ideally you want the dog to vomit within an hr of ingesting something so if it hasn't worked go to a vet and get something more reliable.

Are you using the crystals? You should just stick a whole crystal down the back of the throat - no chewing etc. There are two types of lectic soda - only the crystals should be used I believe.

ETA: you can also just ring an emergency vets, I find they're really good at giving you info. I know you're in a different state but if you ring SARC they are really good: (03) 9532 5261

depends what you are trying to bring up. Unless it is a solid then it is likely to be absorbed already. Call the vet.

She swallowed a peach stone.

I put her in the car and went straight to the vets, they were the ones that gave me the soda which is what they use in the clinic. It's like a white powder?

I've always had the crystals on hand, but I assume the vets have given you the right stuff. They have always kept my dogs there though and waited for them to vomit stuff up. When they've swallowed certain things (eg bones that can get caught) they suggest no vomitting at all.

Hmmmm.... I might go back to the vet and see what they suggest. They are only a block away so that's easy enough.

Being that a peach stone isn't toxic I'm not jumping up and down about it just yet but don't want it to get stuck either!

Did you see how big the stone was that was swallowed? I trend to agree with Megan chocking would be a possibility on the way back out if it comes out the wrong way. Did the vet administer the lectric?

tlc, just an average sized peach stone.

Megan, found out the reason the crystals were powdery was that they were the end of the bag. I've bought some fresh ones and yes, they are crystals.

We've been back to the clinic. Consensus is that the soda is not going to make her puke. Given her size and the likelihood that the stone will pass through I've decided to wait it out and keep a close eye on her in case of blockage.

The last stone she swallowed (at 3 months old) came up again after 3 days, was swallowed again before I could blink, then back up again after a week. This dog is FASTicon_smile_mad.gif

We treated a dog that had swallowed a mango seed. We gave it a tin of dog food to eat! then the crystals....5 mins later vomit with the mango seed in it :thumbsup:

The food made it alot easier to bring up the foriegn body. Worked well with a paddlepop stick as well :laugh:

too late now I would say, but for future reference it is easier to just shove a handful of the crystals down the throat. Not all of it will go down but saves stuffing around with multiple doses and little bits and in an emergency you have a better chance of it working. This is what my vet always suggests and what we teach in the vet puppy classes.

too late now I would say, but for future reference it is easier to just shove a handful of the crystals down the throat. Not all of it will go down but saves stuffing around with multiple doses and little bits and in an emergency you have a better chance of it working. This is what my vet always suggests and what we teach in the vet puppy classes.

I agree with the above :thumbsup:

Has never not worked within a minute so my only advice would be not to do it inside on your pure wool carpets :laugh:

We treated a dog that had swallowed a mango seed. We gave it a tin of dog food to eat! then the crystals....5 mins later vomit with the mango seed in it :thumbsup:

The food made it alot easier to bring up the foriegn body. Worked well with a paddlepop stick as well :laugh:

well i wish i knew that when leo ate the mango seed..... but he did puke up 2 about 11 days later...i only thought he ate one.

Hopefully it will just pass through. My dogs used to eat tonnes of them (we had a plum tree and they loved the plums!) and they all just came out the other end.

The mixed breed terrier I had as a kid used to pig out on mums plums as they fell to the ground in the back yard. She'd poop out heaps each summer. I think being plums it helped it along nicely.

When Crystal (Cavalier) ate a block of Olde Gold Rum 'n Raisin last year the vets put two Lecric Soda Crystals down her throat and she vomited within 10 minutes. There was "chocolate Pudding" everywhere at the vets!

Hopefully your dog will pass the stone without any problems. At least if he is out of sorts you will know why and can then deal with it.